Home Sports Talk
Options

49ers

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
Up 17 zip.

Will they choke?

Dave
Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now 17-14..........
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beasts on defense
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anemic on offense so far. Other than the opening TD drive by the 49rs, the 49rs offense has not done much in the game so far. New Orleans' turnovers and the points scored by the 49rs off of turnovers; plus the 49rs defense is the only thing keeping the 49rs on top.

If Brees can take the Saints on one or two scoring drives the 49rs will be in trouble.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think brees will pull out the victory.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    close game im going for the saints image
  • Options
    image ofcourse the 49'ers give up a 66 yarder, let SF score again and unless there is 0 time left Brees will just throw up another!
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I really thought the Saints would come through in this game. Hats off to the Niners. 2:00 min away from the win now.
  • Options
    Hold on 9 seconds left....enough time for Brees to toss one in!
  • Options
    well im disappointed that the saints D could not stop the 49ers image oh well it was a good game to watch image
  • Options
    Even though my fav team lost was best game I watched all year!!
  • Options
    Gratz to 49'ers fans and hats off to a great year for Brees and NO fans as well.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    The Saints need to avoid the NFC West in the playoffs. Bounced two straight years.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was one terrific finish...Davis was incredible and the shot of him in tears after catching that TD was as good as it gets as to why sports inspire so much passion.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    off to GB...

good luck...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Very happy for the 49'ers, but irritated that ESPN is trying to equate this to The Catch. It's not even a championship game for F's sake.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>That was one terrific finish...Davis was incredible and the shot of him in tears after catching that TD was as good as it gets as to why sports inspire so much passion. >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    So of football's two quarterback Jesuses, the "Breesus" version goes home packing. Will it be two for two by the end of the night?

I'm out of town right now and my regret was that I missed a lot of the game. It's good to see the Alex Smith channel the spirit of Steve Young in the fourth quarter.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finish. Grats to sf.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

One of the best games I've ever seen.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was not much of a chance of the Saints going through both SF and GB.

Congrat's SF.............

If Tebow is ever going to win it all in the NFL he will need a defense like SF has. He needs to be a Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco or possibly an Alex Smith and play on a team with a dominant defense and just not make mistakes on his side of the ball. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    The 49ers defense gave up two touchdowns in the last 4 minutes. Each time Alex Smith came back with clutch touchdown drives of his own. I am a HUGE Saints fan. A journeyman game manager quarterback does not do that. That is something special that Alex Smith just did. He's stepping up and becoming a big time quarterback.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    I want to see some consistency in Alex Smith before we start talking about him turning into a big time QB, granted he had a phenominal game and did his best when it mattered but his regular season numbers tell a different tale.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Do they? He had a 90+ Passer rating and threw for over 3,000 yards. Those numbers might seem small compared to passing teams like NO, GB, and NE, but they are still really nice stats.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Do they? He had a 90+ Passer rating and threw for over 3,000 yards. Those numbers might seem small compared to passing teams like NO, GB, and NE, but they are still really nice stats. >>

Thats my point, you mentioned that he is stepping up to be a "Big time" QB and his #'s dont represent that, Im not being petty or argumentive just saying that 3k yards and 17 td's are not great.

Bottom line he deserves 99% credit for the win and he played awesome but in my opinion it might be his career game right there.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to SF. Best game of the weekend so far!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    This 49ers team is one of the best stories of the season.
  • Options

<< <i>49ers trivia re NFC title game.

49ers have won 5 NFC title games. Very good.

49ers have lost 7 NFC title games. Very bad. And most ever.

This Sunday will be the 49ers thirteenth NFC title game. Unlucky 13?

P.S. The New York Giants have never lost a NFC title game.

P.S.S. Last time 49ers played the Giants in the NFC title game? Roger Craig fumble. >>

P.S.S. Part 2: And the overrated Joe Montana met a Giants player named Leonard Marshall. They became best friends.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>49ers trivia re NFC title game.

49ers have won 5 NFC title games. Very good.

49ers have lost 7 NFC title games. Very bad. And most ever.

This Sunday will be the 49ers thirteenth NFC title game. Unlucky 13?

P.S. The New York Giants have never lost a NFC title game.

P.S.S. Last time 49ers played the Giants in the NFC title game? Roger Craig fumble. >>

P.S.S. Part 2: And the overrated Joe Montana met a Giants player named Leonard Marshall. They became best friends. >>

That was one of the most vicious hits I think Ive seen in a game
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I am predicting violence in the streets with another 49ers win... really, just the NFC championship game. Nor Cal is pumped up.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I am predicting violence in the streets with another 49ers win... really, just the NFC championship game. Nor Cal is pumped up. >>

You even have Joe Biden predicting a win....... err, whoops..

Link
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    P.S.S. Part 2: And the overrated Joe Montana met a Giants player named Leonard Marshall. They became best friends. >>

No offense to any other QB, but Montana is the greatest QB to ever play the game. The combo of his stats, SB wins, leadership, will to win and ability to convert that will into performance and winning, and he came back (no pun intended) from his injuries/back injury, that most never would have played again. Thats not overrated. It wasn't just the system. It wasn't FA. Niners drafted most of their great players from 1979-1990. Great owner, great coaches, drafted players who became great. Even the no name role players who we don't remember stepped up. Greatness is greatness, it happened, its there, no one can change it.
  • Options

<< <i>P.S.S. Part 2: And the overrated Joe Montana met a Giants player named Leonard Marshall. They became best friends. >>

No offense to any other QB, but Montana is the greatest QB to ever play the game. The combo of his stats, SB wins, leadership, will to win and ability to convert that will into performance and winning, and he came back (no pun intended) from his injuries/back injury, that most never would have played again. Thats not overrated. It wasn't just the system. It wasn't FA. Niners drafted most of their great players from 1979-1990. Great owner, great coaches, drafted players who became great. Even the no name role players who we don't remember stepped up. Greatness is greatness, it happened, its there, no one can change it. >>

I agree. Montana didn't pass for the most yards or have the strongest arm but any team or fan in the world can tell you it boils down to winning championships. You can have all the records and stats but Super Bowl victories count for a lot more. I'm sure Dan Marino would agree.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>P.S.S. Part 2: And the overrated Joe Montana met a Giants player named Leonard Marshall. They became best friends. >>

4 rings and 3 Super Bowl MVP trophies is overrated? LOL.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I don't have any financial or personal investment in this game, but if I were to put money on it, not only would I bet the underdog Giants, but I'd also take them even up. The 49'ers have indeed been the NFL story of the year - but I think the Giants are the better team.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

4 rings and 3 Super Bowl MVP trophies is overrated? LOL. >>

LOL+1

• Options

<< <i>

No offense to any other QB, but Montana is the greatest QB to ever play the game. The combo of his stats, SB wins, leadership, will to win and ability to convert that will into performance and winning, and he came back (no pun intended) from his injuries/back injury, that most never would have played again. Thats not overrated. It wasn't just the system. It wasn't FA. Niners drafted most of their great players from 1979-1990. Great owner, great coaches, drafted players who became great. Even the no name role players who we don't remember stepped up. Greatness is greatness, it happened, its there, no one can change it. >>

I agree. Montana didn't pass for the most yards or have the strongest arm but any team or fan in the world can tell you it boils down to winning championships. You can have all the records and stats but Super Bowl victories count for a lot more. I'm sure Dan Marino would agree. >>

Terry Bradshaw has 4 Wins and he cant hold a candle to Montana, as far as Brady is concerned you cant question that he is in the same conversation as Montana. You can look at it in 2 different ways either SB wins or stats and you cant have it both ways, my argument is Brady has 3 SB wins and better stats and is just as much a clutch player and leader as Montana was. We will agree to disagree because Brady is everything Montana was.
  • Options
    Nothing against Brady, but he plays in a league that allows the QB's to wear skirts, and the rules are slanted against the D. Yes, he is in the conversation. But Montana and Bradshaw won their close SB's. Brady lost one. I never said anything bad about Brady. In fact, I wish I could go back in time and make him the next Niners QB after Young!! 4-0 or 3-1 in SB's, thats nit picking greatness. Montana won both his close SB's, Brady lost one close one. If Brady wins another one he'll be 4-1. Maybe he'll be 4-2, maybe 3-2. Its not always fair to compare different eras. Montana is Montana and Brady is Brady. I was mearly responding to the "overrated" comment, it had nothing to do with Brady.

" You can look at it in 2 different ways either SB wins or stats and you cant have it both ways, my argument is Brady has 3 SB wins and better stats...." Isn't that having it both ways??? I'm confused. If I pick SB's, then Montana is better. I don't agree to disagree. Because Brady is great. Never said he wasn't.
  • Options

<< <i>Nothing against Brady, but he plays in a league that allows the QB's to wear skirts, and the rules are slanted against the D. Yes, he is in the conversation. But Montana and Bradshaw won their close SB's. Brady lost one. I never said anything bad about Brady. In fact, I wish I could go back in time and make him the next Niners QB after Young!! 4-0 or 3-1 in SB's, thats nit picking greatness. Montana won both his close SB's, Brady lost one close one. If Brady wins another one he'll be 4-1. Maybe he'll be 4-2, maybe 3-2. Its not always fair to compare different eras. Montana is Montana and Brady is Brady. I was mearly responding to the "overrated" comment, it had nothing to do with Brady.

" You can look at it in 2 different ways either SB wins or stats and you cant have it both ways, my argument is Brady has 3 SB wins and better stats...." Isn't that having it both ways??? I'm confused. If I pick SB's, then Montana is better. I don't agree to disagree. Because Brady is great. Never said he wasn't. >>

I was responding to WTCG, as far as Montana being overated that is complete BS and you have zero argument from me
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    While looking through a box of 1991 UD Football, guess what I found on the back of Leonard Marshall's card: "The Hit"

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    THAT was a really ugly collision by those two 49er's defenders. I hope he's OK.
  • Options
    Inconsistent offense + Kyle Williams = Big time choke!

Kyle Williams should get out of town before he's burned alive.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kyle Williams should get out of town before he's burned alive. >>

I vision Alex Smith trying to throw a bucket of water on Kyle Williams and missing. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Kyle Williams should get out of town before he's burned alive. >>

I vision Alex Smith trying to throw a bucket of water on Kyle Williams and missing. MJ >>

Unfortunately it's raining buckets right now because if it wasn't I'd expect to see a Kyle Williams effigy on fire in the middle of Union Square. Back in 1990 there wasn't just one burning effigy of Roger Craig, there were a few dozen. Roger Craig ran all the way to L.A.

Normally I'd go off on Alex Smith right now but what he did last week he earned his save for this week.

I'm more pissed about losing to a 9-7 team more than anything. A 9-7 team they beat in the regular season.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I vision Alex Smith trying to throw a bucket of water on Kyle Williams and missing. MJ >>

If Smith throws it from a straight drop, Williams might get hit with a few droplets. If he throws it on the run, it will land in the next county.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm more pissed about losing to a 9-7 team more than anything. >>

This was no ordinary 9-7 team at the end of the regular season. I thought the Giants ended the regular season looking like one of the best teams in the NFL heading into the playoffs. I've seen nothing to change my mind there.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PO'd at losing to a 9-7 team? As winners of the putrid Div 1-AA NFC West, where you basically start off the season 6-0, you ought to be glad you got this far.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The NFC East is overrated. Other than the Giants there's the Redskins, Eagles and Cowgirls. That's one craptacular team in D.C. and two chronic chokers. Play a decent game in that division and your team is easily 6-0.

Yes the NFC West was terrible last year but now with Jeff Fisher on board in St. Louis and with Arizona and Seattle improving towards the end of the season, the NFC West will be a lot more competitive in the coming years.