Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3 legged buffalo Nickel 1937-d opinions

This belongs to a friend of mine and I wanted to get thoughts on authenticity and grade. thanks!

image
image
All coins kept in safety deposit box.

Comments

  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    It looks authentic to me and one of the ways I can tell is from the "pitting" on the back of the neck on the obverse. I'd grade it at VF 25.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it could use a quick bath in some acetone. That rarity is showing a little too much green on the reverse rims. Hate to see it ruined for future generations.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfotunately, I have to agree with the acetone for conservation purposes

    I do see a VF30 to 35 as the potential grade

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking VF30

    President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30-ish and it needs a bath. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the stream of whiz beneath the buffalo, the neck is not pitted enough and the back leg doesn't look moth eaten enough. That coin has enough detail left that those dots and the pits should still be there.

    I'd be a little concerned.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears authentic to me. I agree with the acetone soak. Grade = 30+, post it after the soak. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compare the die clash (peeing) to the OP one.

    image

    image
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    Is that a lamination by the rear leg? I think it looks good- of course except for the green as mentioned. Probably just the angle of your photo not showing the whiz stream- but the enlarged - you know shows. E Pluribus is well off the back as well.
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    I do not like the rear leg...looks funky...also do not see the stream...which could be the pic....really question whats going on the rear legs....damage?
    My 2 cents!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks good from here, nice pick up
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the pics, I don't think the OP coin is authentic.
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Don't think it's authentic, either. Neck abrasion doesn't look right, the stream between legs isn't there, and the "tooth" jutting down from beard looks added.
    image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    OP's example, manipulated

    image
    Chat Board Lingo

    "Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pee stream,the rear leg,the missing leg-none of these things looks right for a buff with a nearly full horn.

    What's that hanging between the back legs?

    Not genuine.



  • Options
    Authentic and I'd go for xf 40
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the front leg that is there. There is a lot of forelimb there. That thing has been manipulated to deceive.


    image
    Danger will robinson, danger!
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Authentic and I'd go for xf 40 >>



    The folks questioning the authenticity of the coin are providing some reasons as to why, what leads you to believe that it is authentic?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file