Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Time to unload Jesus Montero cards.

...traded to the Mariners with Hector Noesi for Michael Pineda and Jose Compos. His Bowman Chrome rc will probably take a hit.

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    that's huge

time to sell the Pineda cards

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    As much as I have been down on Montero's defensive abilities, he is a monster at the plate. I was really looking forward to seeing him play for the Yanks on a near daily basis. Im real happy with the way that Russell Martin played and I hope he gives the Yanks another decent season. Romine will be a good young catcher to fill in once in a while, especially for his defense.

Pineda is also a great young talent. Will be interesting to see if Yanks can make him a big winner.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Man that's crazy. Along with coming to terms with Kuroda? The Yankees made some nice moves today.

I'm glad I loaded up on Pineda cards and sent many in on my last sub.

Justin
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    What a blunder by the Yankees "braintrust."

1. Pineda's 3.74 in a small market (and miserable 2nd half) won't help the Yankees no-contact, low-average offense. If it's REALLY all about winning in October (which the Yanks sadly do about as often as anyone else, despite their regular season prowess) then I think this is a stupid maneuver.

The pitching overachieved against Detroit in October; the problem is that these softball-style bats of theirs simply vanish against elite pitching. They need hitters that can deliver with CLUTCH CONTACT. Montero may have been the type of contact + power hitter they once had in Bernie and O'Neill and a prime Jeter.

2. This trade also says a lot about "The Killer B's." If Banuelos and Betances were as good as the Yankees have been telling their fan base, they never would have made this trade. That they let their best young bat go for someone who is not a lock ace says volumes-- namely that they were feeding us a bunch of bull regarding their new crop of young arms.

3. The Yanks' offense just lost its best and most affordable chance to get younger. We can now look forward to a geriatric SS and 3B, a RF (Swisher) whose epic postseason fails are unprecedented over a sizable sample space, a catcher (Martin) with an anemic bat, a LF (Gardner) who hits .270 with no power, and a 1B (Tex) whose average has plummeted every year in pinstripes, who is so dumb he can't figure out how to place a hit against the shift.

Where does this aging offense go in the years to come? When will the brass see that what they need are some contact hitters, some true .300+ guys to complement the softball/non-clutch bats they have in abundance. Take a look at Tex and Swish's lifetime postseason performances; the Yanks' needed a young .300 hitter with pop who could handle the big market-- not a guy with a 3.74 from Seattle, who was pure garbage after the All-Star break. Sure, a 3.74 is OK, but I think Montero will be a better player in the long run, and was also a need for the Yankees. But because they are so blinded by their regular season success and runs scored, they probably don't realize what a need Montero filled for them. Martin and Cervelli behind the plate = garbage production.

And the Yankees DH slot should be a serious producer. Who's there now?

Ugh.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Wow, my Mariners might score some runs!
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    There was really no place in the Yankees lineup for Montero, unless he converted to an OFer. The DH slot is ARod's and while they'll wait until 2013, he should be there this year. I think Montero has a skill set that projects to Miguel Cabrera type production and it is a shame that the Yanks couldn't hold on to him. But I think Penida (and Compos) will work out better than you're projecting. Pineda logged over 170 IP's and while he tailed off in the second half, most of those innings would've been at AAA if not for being a Mariner.

I like the move. And I don't think the move says anything about Banuelos, Betances and Brackman other than what the Yankees have said all along. They want them to spend most of this season at AAA building up their innings.

So if the DH is "A-Rod's slot," who's playing 3B? A-Rod's contract is such an albatross. If the DH slot is indeed his, he's effectively taking up two prime offensive slots with his decrepit body. The Yanks Dh should be producing big numbers for them, not be a resting spot for guys who are falling apart.

Montero at DH could have given them the production and .300-type hitter they so sorely need to complement the sub-.260's of Tex, Martin, Granderson, and Swish.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>What a blunder by the Yankees "braintrust."

1. Pineda's 3.74 in a small market (and miserable 2nd half) won't help the Yankees no-contact, low-average offense. If it's REALLY all about winning in October (which the Yanks sadly do about as often as anyone else, despite their regular season prowess) then I think this is a stupid maneuver.

The pitching overachieved against Detroit in October; the problem is that these softball-style bats of theirs simply vanish against elite pitching. They need hitters that can deliver with CLUTCH CONTACT. Montero may have been the type of contact + power hitter they once had in Bernie and O'Neill and a prime Jeter.

2. This trade also says a lot about "The Killer B's." If Banuelos and Betances were as good as the Yankees have been telling their fan base, they never would have made this trade. That they let their best young bat go for someone who is not a lock ace says volumes-- namely that they were feeding us a bunch of bull regarding their new crop of young arms.

3. The Yanks' offense just lost its best and most affordable chance to get younger. We can now look forward to a geriatric SS and 3B, a RF (Swisher) whose epic postseason fails are unprecedented over a sizable sample space, a catcher (Martin) with an anemic bat, a LF (Gardner) who hits .270 with no power, and a 1B (Tex) whose average has plummeted every year in pinstripes, who is so dumb he can't figure out how to place a hit against the shift.

Where does this aging offense go in the years to come? When will the brass see that what they need are some contact hitters, some true .300+ guys to complement the softball/non-clutch bats they have in abundance. Take a look at Tex and Swish's lifetime postseason performances; the Yanks' needed a young .300 hitter with pop who could handle the big market-- not a guy with a 3.74 from Seattle, who was pure garbage after the All-Star break. Sure, a 3.74 is OK, but I think Montero will be a better player in the long run, and was also a need for the Yankees. But because they are so blinded by their regular season success and runs scored, they probably don't realize what a need Montero filled for them. Martin and Cervelli behind the plate = garbage production.

And the Yankees DH slot should be a serious producer. Who's there now?

Ugh. >>

Is it wrong that this entire post brought tears of joy to my eye??
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
    Glad to brighten your day! Here's tears of sadness for me:

Pineda at Safeco (5-4, 2.92 ERA).
    Pineda away (4-6, 4.40).

I fear Cashman may have outsmarted himself with this deal. Time will tell, and make the upcoming season another compelling one to watch play out.

Only good thing about this (in conjunction with the Kuroda signing) is that it pushes AJ closer to the brink of oblivion.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    MattyC don't sell Pineda short, living in Seattle and being in the media covering the M's upon occasion you will be happy with him. He's a beast and he's young and I wouldn't worry about his end of the year slump, that happens to rookies going beyond minor league innings in their first full year. Loved the guy and I'm sad to see him go, he won't back down to any hitter and I really think NY will fall in love with the guy. Doug
    Glad to hear that from someone who watched him over time. I just feel the Yanks gave away someone who really filled a dire need for them, even though it is a "sneaky" need that is masked by their high amount of runs scored in the regular season: namely bona fide .300-type hitters, not just uppercut, low-average guys who vanish in the clutch. I was hoping Banuelos and Betances would fill the need they think they are filling with Pineda, and thus they'd be able to hold onto Jesus Montero.

Pineda can throw a shutout in any Game 2, but it won't matter when Swish and Tex and Martin strand a ton of runners image
    If you recall the Mariners tried to get Montero in a end of July deal for Cliff Lee a few years back.
    Yup. I remember. Yanks would've been better off doing it then and making Lee love nyc (assuming that was possible). I'd prefer lee these past few years over Pineda now.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Seattle got the best of that deal... by far
    but the Yankees needed pitching.
    Pineda going from a pitcher friendly park to NY will add to his average at best ERA.... but at least he should have a winning record... unless he caves to pressure and spotlight of NY
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Matty C, as a serious Yankee fan myself, your analysis is spot on. Two of Cashman's biggest blunders were not letting Arod walk and signing Burnett
  • Lol, no wonder my topps chrome Pineda black auto sold for a high bin tonight without an offer.
  • doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭
    No one in their right mind that has watched Pineda pitch think the Yankees made a mistake here. He's not even 23 and is unbelievable. He slumped out of fatigue towards the end of last year but he is the REAL DEAL. Wait and see.
    I wish, but there's no way to know for sure if his second half failures were due to fatigue. Phil Hughes was a Cy Young candidate for half a season, and then it was chalked up to young arm fatigue... and then he dove into oblivion for a year after that.

The Yanks are now getting weak offensive production from catcher, DH, and likely both corner OFers (Swisher can hit all the meaningless HRs he wants, the guy is garbage when it matters). Who is the .300 hitter on the team who gets the clutch base hit (not a HR) against an elite pitcher come October? Cano or... Montero looked to be that guy.

If the two Killer B's on the farm are as good as they say, and are almost ready for prime time, why trade a young MLB-ready bat that you do not have another of? I hope Montero flourishes in Seattle.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Pineda is the next Bobby Madritsch. He has a small flash of awesomeness, then he craps his pants.

It'll happen. Book it.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pineda's "slump" was giving up 3 or fewer runs in 6 of his last 8 starts, plus one where he gave up 2 runs in 4 IP. I'm thinking most teams would be happy with that. Other than a stretch of three games in July, his ERA was 3.01. He'll do just fine...

Tabe
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I love Yankees fans that are always looking for the negative in their team. When they complain, they sound more like Red Sox fans than Yankees fans. These are the folks that typically get mad when they don't have an All-Star at each position.

The Yankees need pitching. Keeping up with Tampa (yes, I said Tampa) and staying ahead of the Red Sox will require pitching. The offense is fine for the regular season. You can't build your team for the post season, or at least you shouldn't.

Timely hitting is something the Yankees have lacked for several seasons. However, you can't build a lineup with "clutch" hitters and expect that they'll be clutch in the few post season games that they'll play.

Just be happy you're not rooting for the team over in Flushing.

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    that rookie shortstop will be the talk this year...bank it...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>that rookie shortstop will be the talk this year...bank it... >>

Profar??? Could be, but next year for sure. image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish, but there's no way to know for sure if his second half failures were due to fatigue. Phil Hughes was a Cy Young candidate for half a season, and then it was chalked up to young arm fatigue... and then he dove into oblivion for a year after that.

The Yanks are now getting weak offensive production from catcher, DH, and likely both corner OFers (Swisher can hit all the meaningless HRs he wants, the guy is garbage when it matters). Who is the .300 hitter on the team who gets the clutch base hit (not a HR) against an elite pitcher come October? Cano or... Montero looked to be that guy.

If the two Killer B's on the farm are as good as they say, and are almost ready for prime time, why trade a young MLB-ready bat that you do not have another of? I hope Montero flourishes in Seattle. >>

fatigue was likely only a minimal factor. Pineda only threw 30 more innings compared to the 140 he racked up in AA and AAA in 2010. The larger factor would be that he was a 2 pitch fly ball pitcher. He threw either a fastball or slider in 90.2% of his pitches thrown. His change-up is awful, almost to the point of being a liability, and while he does have a 2 seam sinker, he hardly used it...allegedly thrown a grand total of 23 times last year which seems odd considering it seemed to be successful - inducing 75% ground balls induced (though small sample size). He'll need to use it more against lefties with the whiffle ball fence in right. He only induced ground balls 26% on his fastball which led to him having the 6th worst fly ball to ground ball ratio in MLB. So if he can refine the 2 seamer, and use it more, he should be fine. 2 seam refinement can be taught, 94.7 mph on his average fastball can't.

I like the move. And I don't think the move says anything about Banuelos, Betances and Brackman other than what the Yankees have said all along. They want them to spend most of this season at AAA building up their innings.

Brackman was non-tendered and now calls Cincinnati home....I'd imagine as the result of him being terrible.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love Yankees fans that are always looking for the negative in their team. When they complain, they sound more like Red Sox fans than Yankees fans. These are the folks that typically get mad when they don't have an All-Star at each position.

The Yankees need pitching. Keeping up with Tampa (yes, I said Tampa) and staying ahead of the Red Sox will require pitching. The offense is fine for the regular season. You can't build your team for the post season, or at least you shouldn't.

Timely hitting is something the Yankees have lacked for several seasons. However, you can't build a lineup with "clutch" hitters and expect that they'll be clutch in the few post season games that they'll play.

Just be happy you're not rooting for the team over in Flushing. >>

Though often that does happen, its not about super star vets. This is about two rookies and how fans feel about their future production. I dont think anyone denies that Yankees need pitching but I, as many, do not believe that Pineda is the answer when the Yankees are supposed to be stocked with excellent pitching prospects that can be brought up and used. Also, I think Yankees fans are looking for a proven vet. It doesnt have to be an all star, but a young vet who has proven himself to be durable and consistent. While it's pitching that really wins ball games, Montero would have been an excellent young bat on an aging team. I sincerely believe that given a full rookie season, Montero can put up .280+, 25+ HRs and 70+ RBIs.

I also think that Yankees could have done a heck of a lot better on what pitcher they traded for. EVERYONE wanted Montero.

fatigue was likely only a minimal factor. Pineda only threw 30 more innings compared to the 140 he racked up in AA and AAA in 2010. The larger factor would be that he was a 2 pitch fly ball pitcher. He threw either a fastball or slider in 90.2% of his pitches thrown. His change-up is awful, almost to the point of being a liability, and while he does have a 2 seam sinker, he hardly used it...allegedly thrown a grand total of 23 times last year which seems odd considering it seemed to be successful - inducing 75% ground balls induced (though small sample size). He'll need to use it more against lefties with the whiffle ball fence in right. He only induced ground balls 26% on his fastball which led to him having the 6th worst fly ball to ground ball ratio in MLB. So if he can refine the 2 seamer, and use it more, he should be fine. 2 seam refinement can be taught, 94.7 mph on his average fastball can't.

Did you really say 90.2%? Somebody's watched Moneyball too much. Simple question: How many times did you actually see Michael Pineda pitch?
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

<< <i>fatigue was likely only a minimal factor. Pineda only threw 30 more innings compared to the 140 he racked up in AA and AAA in 2010. The larger factor would be that he was a 2 pitch fly ball pitcher. He threw either a fastball or slider in 90.2% of his pitches thrown. His change-up is awful, almost to the point of being a liability, and while he does have a 2 seam sinker, he hardly used it...allegedly thrown a grand total of 23 times last year which seems odd considering it seemed to be successful - inducing 75% ground balls induced (though small sample size). He'll need to use it more against lefties with the whiffle ball fence in right. He only induced ground balls 26% on his fastball which led to him having the 6th worst fly ball to ground ball ratio in MLB. So if he can refine the 2 seamer, and use it more, he should be fine. 2 seam refinement can be taught, 94.7 mph on his average fastball can't.

Did you really say 90.2%? Somebody's watched Moneyball too much. Simple question: How many times did you actually see Michael Pineda pitch? >>

the simple answer would be what does having "seen Micheal Pineda pitch" have to do with his ratio of fastballs and sliders thrown in relation to his other two pitches?
    Oh brother.