Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP for the 1917 Set - on last post

MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
So far today, I have posted sets for 1889 - my Granddad, and 1891 - my Grandma's birth year.

Couldn't forget good ol' Dad - he used to love going with me to shows and looking at my collection.

He was born in 1917 ... and here are a few things I have picked up in his honor since Chicago ANA:

image
image

image


I picked this up earlier this year but I just had this one imaged:
image


image


image
image

Mike Hayes
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Comments

  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭
    Mike, while I haven't checked yet, are you starting these yearly Mint-Sets on the PCGS Registry (I suppose you could run into an issue with the errors!)?

    All are very nice coins image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I think those first three should be in holders denoting higher grades, even if only a +....those are nice! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All are beautiful, but I like the 1917s "off center" !!!
    Thanks for sharing your photos.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've picked up a lot of nice additions!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins Mike.

    You could do your birth year, but they weren't making coins yet! image

    imageimage
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins, all of them!

    Love the 17-d half!
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Nice coins and pictures. Thanks for sharing!

    Jacob
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Nice, thanks for sharing!image
    Becky
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first three are really nice coins.. the errors are interesting.... I like errors, do not collect them (unless I find one in change). Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

    I just stumbled across this new addition to the 1917 Mint set:

    image

    as well as these two coins:

    [Sellers Images]
    imageimage


    imageimage

    My Eagle Eye Scout - Chief Broadstruck found the 17-D for me - and its a much better struck coin than my recent addition.
    While I was admiring the 17-D, the 17-S was just listed - and its been a coin that is extremely difficult to locate in nice
    condition and without any striking problems.

    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the 1917-D Walker
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    ALL are very nice and interesting errors.
    Bob

    *
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey now those are beautiful coins!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

    Well, I finally located a 1917-S Cent in RD/BN that looks like a perfect candidate for my Mint Set.

    image

    image
    image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice and cool.image


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Always a pleasure to look at.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite by far is the 17P dime...great strike and clean face and fields. Wonderful...Ray
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

    http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. So where is the rest of this set, for us to peek at?

    PS- I like how you're doing the currency, too. Not knowing a whole lot about it, at first glance I'd have taken it for an older note. I guess in WW1 the paper money still had a bit of that classical Victorian look hanging around.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Well, I finally located a 1917-S Cent in RD/BN that looks like a perfect candidate for my Mint Set.

    image

    image
    image >>



    Fantastic coin. This is high end for the grade with a nice strike. You'd be surprised how many S mint 64s are out there with mushy lettering.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Merc is talkin' to me.

    The properly-centered one, I mean. The error (hell, everything here) is awesome, but there is something about that '17-P Merc.

    I think most of it has to do with the incredible photography. Man, I wish I could do that.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I finally found a decent 1917-S Half OBV MM that would work in this set ...

    image
    image
    image

    image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    oops...sweet sweet walker as i love those early mintmarked and yours rocks...image

    this might be an extra lil tasty for your 1917 set too...enjoy...he does have best offer too and its been up awhile...the reverse is kool with those fatty rims
    1917-s broadstruck buff...price is right for an au58 <<<<out of collar on one side...not a broadstruck
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful half, Mike!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

    Thanks, LVT - but our friend Broadstruck had already pointed that one out to me a while ago.

    Speaking of which, I noticed that his favorite coin from this date set was missing its image...

    here is my 1917-D Dime:

    image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    ya know...1917 is that date to put a set together in the "P" mint...gets a lil costly with those lil mm's
    i love it your doing um
    sweet lil d mercury with them fsb
    congrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful 1917-D Walking Liberty and 1917-D Dime!
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the color and skin on that dime!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    This completes my 1917 Date Set for my Dad's birth year.

    image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭
    Congrats Mike image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Mike! Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice walkers, Mike!
    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

    A few months back, I ran accross this coin - on the North Pole [ Alaska ] !! - Seriously !!

    It was just about the last coin needed to complete the 1917 Date Set

    image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

    New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    very nice !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file