Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So Barrys in but does he REALLY have H.O.F. numbers?

Sure he was a standup player who also managed to stay out of trouble on and off the field, he was a 12 time all-star and won the NL MVP award in 95. His team won the world series in 1990 - That and also being with the same team his whole career helped but are these really hall of fame numbers here?

less than 200 Homeruns (198)
Became the first Short Stop to have 30 Home Runs and 30 Steals
Batting average .295
960 RBI's
2,340 hits
379 Stolen Bases
Won 3 Gold Gloves

The news this morning was calling him a legendary Reds player. Im not sure about that either. When I think legaendary, Im thinking Joe Morgan, Rose, Bench - Larkin doesnt come into my mind.

Then I look at someone like Roger Maris

Heres Rogers stats:

Became the first player to hit over 60 Home Runs in a single season (a record that stood for about 34 years until Maris beat it)
Batting average .260
275 Home Runs (Barry played for 18 years, Roger 10)
7x All- Star
3 World Series Campionships
2 A.L. M.V.P. Titles
Gold Glove Winner
850 RBI's

Seems like the only things that I can think of are his Batting Average and the fact the he kinda fizzled out early into his career. Oh playing for 4 teams doesnt help but one of those World Series titles were even with the Cardinals. I also truly beleive that he was held to a higher standard because he beat the Babes record - a record many did not broken including Babes wife supposedly so maybe there could of been a lot of pressure NOT enter him into the H.O.F.

I think Barry numbers are decent for an 18 year career to get in but is this kinda double standard when you compare to someone whos cards even sell like a Hall Of Famer.

So what gives?

Comments

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the fact that he was unquestionably the best SS of the 1990s (sorry Cal) and was the best Reds player since the Big Red Machine is what put him over the top. Frankly though I'm surprised Mr. Larkin didn't get in sooner.

Now all that's left is for the Reds to give what some players consider an even greater honor, hanging Mr. Larkin's jersey on the left field wall, if they haven't done so already. Some teams wait for a player to go the HOF before retiring their number.
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    World Series titles... If you put ME in the Yankees lineup in the early 60's the Yankees would still have won those titles, so that really can't be a big factor. Maris was a home run hitter and RBI guy. Home run/RBI guys with less than 300 HR's and 900 RBI's don't generally make it into the HOF.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • If you put ME in the Yankees lineup in the early 60's the Yankees would still have won those titles

That was actually pretty funny image

One interesting note - although Maris played in more games than Ruth - hence the * - he did however break the record with 3 less at bats than Ruth.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    It's funny, As someone with zero affiliation to the Yankees or the Reds, I look at Barry Larkin and say he's a lock for the Hall of Fame. To me he was responsible for the tranformation of today's ERA of SS. Those that not only play great defense, but also bring offense to their team. When I think about Roger Maris, I don't say HOFer. I respect what he did for the game, and appreciate his HR mark, that unfortunately was broken by steroid induced players, but hes not a HOFer in my book.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's funny, As someone with zero affiliation to the Yankees or the Reds, I look at Barry Larkin and say he's a lock for the Hall of Fame. To me he was responsible for the tranformation of today's ERA of SS. >>

I think most people would give that credit to Cal Ripken.....

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I grew up a Reds fan when Larkin blossomed. Not once did I ever think he was a Hall of Famer.

Very, very good player. But not a Hall of Famer.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Maris had 7 more plate appearances than Ruth.

Larkin does not shout out HOF to me, then again at least 25% of those
    also in there don't either.

Good for you.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think he has HOF numbers. But its a very watered down HOF now anyway so what does it matter.
  • I never saw larkin as a special player...to me , not a HOFer..
    jack morris, maris, munson, ted simmons are all more worthy IMO
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's funny, As someone with zero affiliation to the Yankees or the Reds, I look at Barry Larkin and say he's a lock for the Hall of Fame. To me he was responsible for the tranformation of today's ERA of SS. >>

I think most people would give that credit to Cal Ripken.....

IMF >>

+1

Ripken led Larkin in most offensive categories, and not by a little bit either.

Not to take anything away from Larkin, he was a great player, but Hall of Fame is a stretch.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Just look who is currently in the Hall Of Fame and that should answer your question.One way to fame is POLOTICS.Kiss the writers behind enough and many times that will do the trick.I am not saying Barry does not belong however there are several players in the Hall that I say are very questionable and were not as good as Barry.

I know I will take a Big Hit on this comment but why is Ozzie Smith in the Hall?Maybe it was the summersalts.
    No one will ever convince me he belongs there.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you. Larkin is was just a good player. Probably should not have gotten in. Look at some other people's numbers that get no votes:

Bill Buckner
    Al Oliver
    Tommy John
    Jim Kaat

All of these guys belong in way before Larkin. What we are going to see going forward are average players getting in to the Hall because they were not caught or alledgedly (SP) did not take performance enhancing drugs.

We all know that Sosa and McGwire brought baseball back to the forefront after the strike, but all the media/writers who eat doughnuts instead of steriods, will not vote for them.image
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    If you have to ask if someone belongs in the Hall of Fame, they don't belong in the Hall of Fame.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    When you compare Larkin generally to all other players I can see how people might feel he is not an ATG.

When you compare Larkin to all other shortstops currently in the HOF, he seems to fit right around the #10 slot (out of 23 or so).

It really depends on the perspective you take.

I still have some difficulty in thinking of Larkin as a HOFer when I look at him from just the big picture. But when you look at him positionally
    and compare to those who came before he certainly stands out quite a bit more. We don't hold pitchers to the same standards as
    non-pitchers for obvious reasons. So do we simply look at non-pitchers in terms of their relative offensive and defensive statistics
    or do we also have to consider the position they played and how they performed in that position relative to others at the same position
    both within their own era and across eras?

Dave
  • Larkin's stats are give or take equal to Alan Trammell. Tram is snubbed every year with no serious consideration...... People say Larkin 1-had a magnetic personality and 2- he's part of the Reds' storied franchise. 1-Tram has managed and is currently coaching a 1st place team, 2- what about Concepcion??. What's the greater travesty? The Hall is a sick joke wrought with controversy. Sorry Barry..... Until Tram gets in, you get no love.

• << <i>Larkin's stats are give or take equal to Alan Trammell. Tram is snubbed every year with no serious consideration...... People say Larkin 1-had a magnetic personality and 2- he's part of the Reds' storied franchise. 1-Tram has managed and is currently coaching a 1st place team, 2- what about Concepcion??. What's the greater travesty? The Hall is a sick joke wrought with controversy. Sorry Barry..... Until Tram gets in, you get no love. >>

Why not tell us how you really feel, don't hold back now.

The hall of fame lost it's luster a long time ago. Their are too many people that should not be in that are.

The other problem is their are many players that are not in that should be.

Dave
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry has the numbers and it is not even close. 86% I believe I heard on SC. I'm suprised at the lack of respect he is getting here. I thought he was if not a lock for the Hall he had a great chance. The Reds had quite a few who were no brainer HOFers, perhaps comparing Larkin to Rose, Bench, Morgan causes one to diminish his accomplishments. BTW if I was voting I would have Maris in.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• This is very debatable because this was also his third time on the Ballot so he defintely wasnt a shoe in. I just think the lack of players this year was pretty weak which only made him stand out more. Next year should be really interesting however with Bonds, Clemens and Sosa. That will be fun to discuss.
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Barry has the numbers and it is not even close. 86% I believe I heard on SC. I'm suprised at the lack of respect he is getting here. I thought he was if not a lock for the Hall he had a great chance. The Reds had quite a few who were no brainer HOFers, perhaps comparing Larkin to Rose, Bench, Morgan causes one to diminish his accomplishments. BTW if I was voting I would have Maris in. >>

Hey Brick, as you followed baseball through the years, did you ever think, I need to stop and see what Larkin did tonight or say I can't wait to see Larkin play tonight. Probably not. And in my mind these are the guys that belong in the Hall. I think I paid more attention to Tim Raines than Barry Larkin and I think he was probably better, but neither would be a HOF in my mind.

Larkin, as stated earlier in probably around the 10th or so best SS of all-time, which should merit serious consideration for the HOF, but probably leaves him on the outside. And the comparison to Trammell is a great comparison, without looking at stats and having followed baseball for the last 36 years, I would say that Trammell was better.

McGwire is a definite HOF, he stands out to me for alot of things that made baseball exciting again post 1994. IF he can't get in why would Biggio or Larkin or Santo? These guys pale in comparison to Big Mac and it's not close. He would rank in the top 5 all-time 1st basemen, imo. I know the answer is Steriods, but how do you know Biggio or Larkin weren't taking something? How can one measure how much better a baseball player can be by taking PED? It may make you better or it might not.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Bear48Bear48 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    The HOF is a tool for marketing baseball. That's it. Believe otherwise and you're only fooling yourself. Larkin is the "best available" candidate. In my opinion he was a VERY GOOD player but not a HOFer.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    "This guy doesn't have a .300 average, less than 2,500 hits, and hit less than 20 HR per year! He doesn't belong in there!"

"But, but...he played his entire career with ONE team! And, he's on ESPN!"

"Oh, alright! You got me...he's in!"
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Jack Morris is a mortal lock for the hall at this point, no one has gotten as many votes as he did this year and not evntually gotten in. So 1978 Topps?

His inclusion would also bode well for Schilling getting in.

Biggio and Morris in 2013?
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    When will people start to realize that positions of importance on the field get more HOF attention. Larkin is one of the best overall shortstops of all-time, there is NO doubting it. He has an MVP Award. He helped his team win a World Series. He was an 11-time All Star. He played 99.99% of his career at SS. He played his entire career for his hometown Reds. He was a solid individual away from baseball. To say he's not worthy of the Hall makes your opinions invalid.

<< <i>When will people start to realize that positions of importance on the field get more HOF attention. Larkin is one of the best overall shortstops of all-time, there is NO doubting it. He has an MVP Award. He helped his team win a World Series. He was an 11-time All Star. He played 99.99% of his career at SS. He played his entire career for his hometown Reds. He was a solid individual away from baseball. To say he's not worthy of the Hall makes your opinions invalid. >>

He's not worthy of the hall of fame. That's a valid opinion.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Barry has the numbers and it is not even close. 86% I believe I heard on SC. I'm suprised at the lack of respect he is getting here. I thought he was if not a lock for the Hall he had a great chance. The Reds had quite a few who were no brainer HOFers, perhaps comparing Larkin to Rose, Bench, Morgan causes one to diminish his accomplishments. BTW if I was voting I would have Maris in. >>

Hey Brick, as you followed baseball through the years, did you ever think, I need to stop and see what Larkin did tonight or say I can't wait to see Larkin play tonight. Probably not. And in my mind these are the guys that belong in the Hall. I think I paid more attention to Tim Raines than Barry Larkin and I think he was probably better, but neither would be a HOF in my mind.

Larkin, as stated earlier in probably around the 10th or so best SS of all-time, which should merit serious consideration for the HOF, but probably leaves him on the outside. And the comparison to Trammell is a great comparison, without looking at stats and having followed baseball for the last 36 years, I would say that Trammell was better.

No I was never in eager anticipation of Barrys next AB. There have been very few players that would have my attention to that degree. I'm not saying Barry is one of the elite in the HOF but he is very deserving. I see a lot of complaining about mediocrity in the Hall but the requirements are what they are. Some feel only the best of the best HOFers belong there. That is a fair argument but that is not the requirements to get in. I do remember having great anticipation for the next AB of Rose, Aaron, Williams and maybe a couple more guys. I remember dreading the next great play by Brooks Robinson in the 1970 WS. If only these guys and their equivilent are the only ones in, the Hall could be toured in an hour. As for Barry being the tenth best SS in over 100 years of MLB I would think that would make him a shoo-in. I can't imagine the tenth best at any position not being in the Hall.
    As for Trammell perhaps he is getting a raw deal but that is no reason to deny others of their rightful place in the Hall. Also I would vote for Trammell but I do not have that opportunity.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

The biggest joke is not that Larkin got in - you can make a case for him - but that Jeff Bagwell got 56% of the vote. Comical.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

<< <i>

<< <i>When will people start to realize that positions of importance on the field get more HOF attention. Larkin is one of the best overall shortstops of all-time, there is NO doubting it. He has an MVP Award. He helped his team win a World Series. He was an 11-time All Star. He played 99.99% of his career at SS. He played his entire career for his hometown Reds. He was a solid individual away from baseball. To say he's not worthy of the Hall makes your opinions invalid. >>

He's not worthy of the hall of fame. That's a valid opinion. >>

Instead of just throwing out blanket statements, explain to us why you think he's not Hall-worthy.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Larkin's stats are give or take equal to Alan Trammell. Tram is snubbed every year with no serious consideration...... People say Larkin 1-had a magnetic personality and 2- he's part of the Reds' storied franchise. 1-Tram has managed and is currently coaching a 1st place team, 2- what about Concepcion??. What's the greater travesty? The Hall is a sick joke wrought with controversy. Sorry Barry..... Until Tram gets in, you get no love. >>

Why not tell us how you really feel, don't hold back now.

The hall of fame lost it's luster a long time ago. Their are too many people that should not be in that are.

The other problem is their are many players that are not in that should be.

Dave >>

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • So how many here think Jeter is an HoFer?
    Larkin vs. Jeter

• << <i>The biggest joke is not that Larkin got in - you can make a case for him - but that Jeff Bagwell got 56% of the vote. Comical. >>

This voter reluctance to make some a 'first ballot' hall of famer thing is ridiculous. If someone is a hall of famer, then the writers should vote on them. Not wait until 2nd or 3rd ballots, since they are a 'first ballot HoFer', you are right, ridiculous and comical.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Instead of just throwing out blanket statements, explain to us why you think he's not Hall-worthy. >>

Being a good fielder for the same hometown team his entire career does not make up for the good numbers he put up at the plate. Not a .300 hitter? Check. Not much power? Check? Sure, he won an MVP and fans voted him into All Star games, but that doesn't make up for the bat.

And, before you say something silly like an opinion is invalid, think about it yourself. It's called an opinion.

• << <i>Being a good fielder for the same hometown team his entire career does not make up for the good numbers he put up at the plate. Not a .300 hitter? Check. Not much power? Check? Sure, he won an MVP and fans voted him into All Star games, but that doesn't make up for the bat.

And, before you say something silly like an opinion is invalid, think about it yourself. It's called an opinion. >>

A good Hitter? To Quote Hardball times:
    During his entire career, the average shortstop hit just .256/.317/.361, while Larkin hit .295/.371/.444 -- an OPS difference of 20.2%. Very few players dominate a position like that for so long and only two big-name shortstops from the past 30 years have out-performed the rest of the position offensively more than Larkin did.
    OPS SS OPS DIFF*
    Alex Rodriguez .963 .735 31.0%
    Nomar Garciaparra .919 .736 24.9%
    BARRY LARKIN .815 .678 20.2%
    Cal Ripken Jr. .798 .675 18.2%
    Robin Yount .757 .641 18.1%
    Alan Trammell .767 .665 15.3%
    Derek Jeter .848 .737 15.1%
    Miguel Tejada .807 .744 8.5%
    Dave Concepcion .679 .629 7.9%
    Ozzie Smith .666 .648 2.8%

• Larkin Vs Jeter - Now thats funny.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Instead of just throwing out blanket statements, explain to us why you think he's not Hall-worthy. >>

Being a good fielder for the same hometown team his entire career does not make up for the good numbers he put up at the plate. Not a .300 hitter? Check. Not much power? Check? Sure, he won an MVP and fans voted him into All Star games, but that doesn't make up for the bat.

And, before you say something silly like an opinion is invalid, think about it yourself. It's called an opinion. >>

So he's not a HOFer because he hit .295 and not .300 and is only 9th all-time in HRs for shortstops, that along with completely disregarding his MVP Award, World Series ring, 12 All Star appearances, 9 Silver Slugger Awards, 3 Gold Glove Awards, playing 99.99% of his career at SS for the same team, his upstanding presence in the community and 10th place WAR ranking among all-time shortstops. I get it now. You changed my mind. I never thought that we are supposed to DISREGARD what makes a player a HOFer when deciding whether or not they are Hall material. You have really opened a lot of minds here today.
    So, his numbers get him in because of his position? Got it.
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The biggest joke is not that Larkin got in - you can make a case for him - but that Jeff Bagwell got 56% of the vote. Comical. >>

This voter reluctance to make some a 'first ballot' hall of famer thing is ridiculous. If someone is a hall of famer, then the writers should vote on them. Not wait until 2nd or 3rd ballots, since they are a 'first ballot HoFer', you are right, ridiculous and comical. >>

Reluctance to make someone a first ballot electee is not always the issue. Each writer is only allowed to vote for 10 candidates. Depending on who else is on the ballot, how long
    other have left to remain on the ballot, etc. it is certainly possible that worthy candidates get held-over to year 2 or year 3 simlpy due to who else might be on that year's ballot with them.

Dave

• << <i>So, his numbers get him in because of his position? Got it. >>

Of course they do.

• << <i>So, his numbers get him in because of his position? Got it. >>

Yes, you do compare players by position. Most pitchers could not bat .200, you don't compare their bat to an outfielder who basically only needs to be able to bat to be considered good.

What defines a great catcher or shortstop has never been their bat.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • When does Mark Grace get in??? He belongs in the Hall of Good.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The biggest joke is not that Larkin got in - you can make a case for him - but that Jeff Bagwell got 56% of the vote. Comical. >>

+ 1

Unless they wanted to have Bags and Biggio get elected at the same time.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Maris deserves the hall as well, per your first post.
    Larkin is a HOF shortstop, my only complaint was the number of games he missed over his career.

Trammel belongs in the Hall as well.

I'd also vote for Omar Vizquel who was superior to all of the above in defense and can STILL swing a bat image
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

<< <i>So, his numbers get him in because of his position? Got it. >>

Yes, you do compare players by position. Most pitchers could not bat .200, you don't compare their bat to an outfielder who basically only needs to be able to bat to be considered good.

What defines a great catcher or shortstop has never been their bat. >>

+1

Comparing numbers between positions is comparing apples to oranges. Shortstops and 2nd basemen need to be quick and agile enough to cover a ton of ground in the field. That usually means that they don't have the stature of an outfielder or first baseman. That also means that they have to sacrafice power for speed. So to say that a single set of standards such as total HRs should define a HOF career is asinine.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
    Vizquel belongs. As does Biggio.
    Ron Burgundy

• psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM >>

psychump > FORUM POLICE

It may not be memorabilia related but it beats the hell out of another thread about an eBay seller to avoid. Will someone throw a picture of a Larkin card on here to satisfy him?
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • For all the rest of the Forum Police Officers out there, if you dont enjoy this thread, just click off of it.

Let the discussion continue.

• I'm on the fence...but it does prove that if you pile up above average numbers over a long period of time you seem to get in these days. To me Bagwell's shorter, more potent career is more deserving. Larkin played 18 years and didn't even reach 2,400 hits. I know he had injuries...but to average 130 hits per year over a career just doesn't blow me away...neither does a .295 career average. To me that's not all that impressive. Throw out the 12 All-Star games. Those are meaningless in the era of fan voting. I can excuse the low HR and RBI totals based on his position and place in the batting order..to me he was a very, very solid player. He's like the 90's version of Frank White. A HOFer? Eh...I dunno.
  • if you pile up above average numbers over a long period of time you seem to get in these days