Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mel Wacks Counterstamps with Pictures

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been trying to put together as complete a collection of these as I can. After several years, here's where it's at.

Camp David Peace Summit Prototype Peace Dollar

Camp David Peace Summit 1922 Peace Dollar

1979 Pope John Paul II Visits Mexico 1965 Peso

1981 Reagan Inauguration 1976-S Silver Ike

1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics 1971-S Proof Siver Ike

1980 USA Hockey

1979 Year of the Child

Charles and Di Wedding

George Washington 250

Statue of Lib. Double Golden Anniv. Eisenhower

Statue of Lib. Double Golden Anniv. Kennedy Half

1984 Harry Truman Centennial on 1971-S Ike

International Association Of Professional Numismatists 1980 - Stamped on a 1776-1976 p Eisenhower

1981 Freedom Dollar; 1971-s proof Ike - 444 pieces
imageimageimage

If anyone has a pic of these, we'll add them also...and those of any I'm not aware of.

Supreme Court Justice, Sandra Day O'Connor - 1981 on 1971-S Proof Silver Ike; 500 produced
1980 Bicentaler; 1780 proof Taler reproduction - 1500 pieces
1980 Ski Dollar; 1971-s proof Ike - 2000 pieces
"1979 Papal Half Dollar"; 1967 SMS Kenedy - 1979 pieces (I've seen this on a 1968 half as well)

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Way Cool. Thanks for Posting! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 6:13PM

<< <i>Way Cool. Thanks for Posting! image >>

Thanks,
    I was looking at them again and realized that the last one (The Freedom Dollar) appears amazingly similar to a Connecticut Tercentenary Half Reverse. it.

imageimage
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Mel Wacks is a member here. In another thread from over a year ago, he mentioned that he will be publishing a catalog of all 21 of his counterstamps "soon".

He has been a member here since 2001 and has a post count of 12, so he may have already visited this year.image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mel Wacks is a member here. In another thread from over a year ago, he mentioned that he will be publishing a catalog of all 21 of his counterstamps "soon".

He has been a member here since 2001 and has a post count of 12, so he may have already visited this year.image >>

LOL!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • I've said things like this before: private citizens typically can come up with more creative and better designs than the "professionals". They don't have some committee with everyone pushing their personal agenda.

He has some interesting designs.
  • PonyPullerPonyPuller Posts: 134 ✭✭
    1980 Bicentaler; 1780 proof Taler reproduction - 1500 pieces

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1980 Ski Dollar; 1971-S Ike - 2000 pieces

imageimage

• LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Now that is super cool image
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mel Wacks is a member here. In another thread from over a year ago, he mentioned that he will be publishing a catalog of all 21 of his counterstamps "soon".

He has been a member here since 2001 and has a post count of 12, so he may have already visited this year.image >>

If that is true, then PCGS will likely start to certify these pieces. I attempted to get my Camp David Peace Dollar certified and was told by one of the guys at the top that they do not grade them at present and that it would have to be in some kind of catalog first.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the catalog was published here
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    My kind of thread!

Here's mine in plastic. Purchased from illini, photo by bluecc

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Dave,
    I always enjoy seeing these. Thanks for posting. Whenever I see these I always think, that may be my next thing.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Hi there,

could this be another counter stamp by Mr Wacks? If not, could anybody help me to know what it is?

Thanks and greetings from Germany

Bernd

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 2:05PM

I only have one.
    This was posted on a store when the Pope was in town

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Good post.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bernd said:
    Hi there,

could this be another counter stamp by Mr Wacks? If not, could anybody help me to know what it is?

Thanks and greetings from Germany

Bernd

That is a great coin, don't think it is his though. If you poke around on the internet you might be able to find an email for him.

I think his ID here is @melwacks so maybe you can send him a private message.

I know his coins were popular in Germany, as were/are other counterstamped coins like this.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. Thanks for that. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bernd ... Welcome aboard....Your coin does not show in the linked catalog... However it could be a later item. Try a bit of research or contact Mr. Wacks... Cheers, RickO

• Hey folks,

thanks for your help so far. I could not find anything comparable by doing my own research. I guess I´ll try contacting Mr Wacks...

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

JBK, Mel Wacks produced this:

http://www.amuseum.org/jahf/wacks-counterstamps3.html

So, I don't think Mr. Wacks also produced a 2nd counterstamped coin commemorating the same event (Iran hostage crisis) -- especially since your coin apparently is not a documented Wacks coin.

But maybe Mr. Wacks knows about your coin.

Let us know what happens after you try to contact him.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• I have a couple of his coins that I inherited. This is one I didn't see here.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your photos are too good - it shows how little detail is in the face!

• @JBK said:
    Your photos are too good - it shows how little detail is in the face!

I took this with my cell phone, but I edited the white balance in Lightroom. I tried not to edit anything that would change the detail level. I guess the guy was pretty much face less. :smile:

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome post.

I've owned the L.A. Olympic and Truman Centennial. Not sure if he still is, but Mel Wacks was a member of the forums and would post here sometimes.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure if this is Papal visit or not

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 6:45PM

@davewesen said:
    I am not sure if this is Papal visit or not

Awesome coin! It's in his catalog with the following description. Of note, the text of the description has the date in Arabic numbers, but the photo uses Roman numerals and matches yours.

Anyone know who the European dealer / distributor for this issue is?

A distinctive variety of this commemorative was produced in a smaller quantity exclusively for a European dealer, with the inscription: “ADV. IONNES PAVLVS P.M. USA OCT. 1-7, 1979.”

I just noticed the initials MRW and now I'm wondering what Mel's middle name is!

http://www.tokenandmedal.org/Journal/Journal_files/Counterstamped_Coins_of_Mel_Wacks.pdf

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 8:17AM

Here's a Wel Wacks / Adam Cool MW7 in its original holder.

It indicates a mintage limit of 1000. Is that how many were actually produced or is the number less?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file