Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unusual and nice love token on eBay

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
It was probably made for a butcher, 'cause it has a hacksaw & meat cleaver on it.

I have no connection to the seller, and I am not bidding, so have at it, if you like.

It is a tiny bit overpriced in my opinion, but not by much. Unusual pictorial love token dimes can sometimes cross the $100 threshold. I could imagine myself paying nearly that much. Not $125. But I wouldn't be surprised if somebody did give this one a go.

I'd be tempted to sound out the seller regarding a counteroffer, but the only reason I'm not pursuing this one is that I do not need an 1884. I just got an 1884 with the Brooklyn Bridge on it (to go with my 1887 Statue of Liberty one!), and I paid about as much for that one as the seller is asking on this one. So I've got 1884 covered with a cool pictorial already.

There was one in the last year that went for nuclear money- more than $260, maybe north of $300- it had a 19th century dentist hunched over workin' in some guy's mouth, with a table standing beside the chair and the whole scene of the dentist office. THAT was a love token to do battle over. I lost the race on it by a wide margin, unfortunately.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I like it! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Neat piece, I hope it's not from Sweeney Todd.image
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Really cool piece. I like that even the obverse is cherry
  • Options
    SpkrmakrSpkrmakr Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a Ted Bundy post to me...... Kinda of strange!
    Spkrmakr
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a Ted Bundy post to me...... Kinda of strange! >>

Ok i'm going to bite, what makes it look like a Ted Bundy post image
  • Options
    More like a Jack the Ripper post, I would think. After all, the coin has Victorian tools of the trade. Bundy's too modern.

DNADave- thanks. Funny, I just browsed the whole category and overlooked that auction. It's a bit too rich for my blood, but I'd probably bid on two of those pictorial dimes, were they separately listed. I like the one with a boot on it and I LOVE the seascape. That's not your typical love token bulk lot, either. There is minimal junk in there, there's pictorials, and dollar coins... sweet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a 'different' love token.... interesting, but too expensive. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its kinda neat.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    I thought that things of this type were considered hobo art. Never heard of them being called love art. However, them engravings are much nicer that any hobo art I've seen on coins. There are some good quality engravings or carvings on these coins.
    Successful BST with Nolawyer, Whitetornado, Messydesk, whit, lasvegasteddy,cohodk,allcoinsrule, watersport, blackhawk, tonedase, PRoemisch
  • Options
    Well, the "hobo" term didn't exist in the 19th century, to my knowledge, but you've got a good point. Basically hobo nickels are a form of 20th century "love token".

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Rob, you got me looking at the love token category again and now I'm a little poorer. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file