Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1999 Yellowstone Commemorative

While going through the new (well, new for me anyway) 2012 Redbook I noticed the listed mintage for the uncirculated version of the 1999 Yellowstone dollar commemorative listed as 23,614. In last year's Redbook it was listed as 82,563. Could this be a typo or were there really fewer than 25k minted? If so, what a sleeper - even for a modern!

A safe and prosperous New Year to all!

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the years I've noted errors in the mintages of modern commemorative coins in the Red Book. I don't know if this is one of them, but I would not hang my hat or my investment dollars on that number. Even if it's correct, collector interest is not high for Yellowstone coin even if the mintage is that low.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WDHWDH Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    According to Eric J's book, the 23,614 mintage is correct. It's still only the 7th lowest mintage, that's probably why not much interset.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>According to Eric J's book, the 23,614 mintage is correct. It's still only the 7th lowest mintage, that's probably why not much interset. >>

I like the design far, far better than the uber-boring Olympic coins, however...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file