Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Young bankers, "old" coins.....

An interesting thing happened at my local bank branch here in Vegas today. The always cordial 20-something and 30-something tellers (who know my interest in numismatics) asked me to look at several coins that were deposited earlier in the week and put aside by them. They'd "never seen anything like them."

The first coin they pulled from the drawer was a gold-colorized 1974 Ike dollar. I told them it was not "actually a gold coin," and is only worth its face value of one dollar -- except to the unknown person who perhaps earlier purchased it for significantly more thinking it was valuable and rare.

The other four coins were all in individual, unmarked stapled holders, and all four were mint or near mint 1976 Bicentennial half dollars. As I looked at the Kennedy halves, it occured to me that only one of the four bank personnel who I spoke with perhaps was a young child during the Bicentennial, and that the other three probably were not even born until years after those half dollars were struck.

How time has flown.

But at least I now have four people at the bank who have a bit more education about the history of our pocket change. Now, if only they'll call me if someone deposits three or four Saints or a gold Gold Certificate note.....

Happy New Year to all,
-donn-
"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1976. I was living in Williamsburg, Va. You can only imagine what that town was like that year!
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can only imagine what that town was like that year! >>

I was living in Lexington, MA...
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1976 - new graduate Chemical Engineer.
    Moved from WI to MI - took out a loan for $400 so I could buy a 12" Sony color TV to watch the summer Olympics.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins in circulation today are far older than the coins I started collecting back in 1957.
    There's also a far wider range and more obsolete types in circulation than there were in '57.

Time has a way of sneaking up on people. "Tempus fugit" is far more appropriate for the
    coinage than "In God We Trust". One can sit around a life time waiting for God to help him
    or he can go out now and help himself.

To each his own but money isn't about divinities or sacriledge but about earning and making
    wealth. It about improving the commonweal not directing their beliefs.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed how time has flown.

Like many here, I can remember the debut of the Bicentennial coins. I was in junior high, myself, and at somebody's skating rink birthday party (yep, height of the disco era- you can can imagine the scene- roller boogie...)

Anyway, I got a funny lookin' new quarter in change from the concession stand.

I started collecting later that year ('76) when I found a 1936 Merc dime in my grandmother's drawers.

Yikes.

That last part didn't sound so good, did it.

Let's rewrite.

I found a Merc dime in my grandmother's sideboard drawer. (Singular.)

Not in her drawers.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...thanks for clearing that up, robertson. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    SO was the bank manager
    the 19 year old drinking a slurpy?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You can only imagine what that town was like that year! >>

I was living in Lexington, MA... >>

I was living in Manhattan. The harbor show was spectacular on July 4th.
    Lance.
  • Options
    LordM...seriously did a double take...guess it shows we're not too old!!

I was about 9 years old in '76...I remember taking some of my dad's quarters (er, borrowing them) out of the funny cardboard books. Took me a few years to understand why he was so angry...now it's me who's angry!
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Indeed how time has flown.

Like many here, I can remember the debut of the Bicentennial coins. I was in junior high, myself, and at somebody's skating rink birthday party (yep, height of the disco era- you can can imagine the scene- roller boogie...)

Anyway, I got a funny lookin' new quarter in change from the concession stand.

I started collecting later that year ('76) when I found a 1936 Merc dime in my grandmother's drawers.

Yikes.

That last part didn't sound so good, did it.

Let's rewrite.

I found a Merc dime in my grandmother's sideboard drawer. (Singular.)

Not in her drawers. >>

At the risk of making you feel even older it was probably 1975.

The bicentennial quarter was released in early August.

I remember the very first one I recieved was a clipped
    planchet Denver issue. Ironically enough it said "In God
    We Rust".
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I was born 4 years later.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    1976 -- my birth year
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I was in Concord MA
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1976 I had a KH400 street bike and a great girlfriend skinny dipping in the hot springs. Those were the daysimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    In 1976 I saved an UNC Bicentennial quarter and half dollar... I just knew that if I kept them in mint state they would be worth a pretty penny around 1986 or so!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1976 I had a KH400 street bike and a great girlfriend skinny dipping in the hot springs. Those were the daysimage >>

You win. That was paradise.
    Lance.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is what I remember about 1976. I was in 8th grade and aside from studying all the U.S. history, we were intensely studying the metric system as a changeover was imminent. Now, I am older and wiser. Never underestimate society's resistance to change no matter how beneficial or logical that change may be.

And by the way, didn't those bicentennial coins come out in '75.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye yet in '76.
  • Options
    74 was a great year.image
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I know the Bicentennial coins came out in '75, but I'm pretty sure my skating rink Bicentennial quarter find happened in '76.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes...'76 ... living in Houston, TX.... foot loose and fancy free.. Dang those Texas gals are fantastic... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was serving in the Army over in Nurnberg Germany, drinking at the Octoberfest, touring the country and lived in the barracks 3 blocks from the stadium, underground tunnels from the barracks to the stadium where he was going to rule the world. It was a great time and such a good experience..............Enjoy tomimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file