Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ouch!! Less than $1 a card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-92-UPPER-DECK-BASKETBALL-271-CARD-PSA-10-REGISTRY-SET-MICHAEL-JORDAN-BIRD-/230720983146?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item35b80ad06a

I know it is a common set but less than $1 a card? Kind of makes me worry about some of my Starting Lineup card sets that I am working on. Sometimes the joy of putting them together outweighs the $$ loss.?

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    linky

Wow... that is a kick in the nuts.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the $100 shipping had something to do with the bids.....
  • markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    I didn't notice the shipping cost. Good point.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe bc it was 1991-92 Upper Deck
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>AND maybe because these are the guys likely leftovers all being Pop 2 or higher... >>

Agreed.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AND maybe because these are the guys likely leftovers all being Pop 2 or higher... >>

I doubt it unless he owns this set too...

$5k for 450 card lot

However you look at it the price of that auction even after shipping is crazy, they are all 10's, the grading fee's alone would be over $1k.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    the seller id of the cheap lot matches the #2 registry guy, who is not the owner of the #1 who has consigned to mint state.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think the seller is a member here as well. Barkus.

Good for you.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I have a Mutombo in a PSA 10 from this set, I think that would be the only RC that has a shot at the HOF in this set.
  • Hopefully the seller wont write the buyer back and say that he dropped his whole set and now all the cases are cracked and refuse to sell to the winning bidder - and show no proof as well because he "doesn't have the time and doesn't have a camera either for a photo.
  • Or maybe its because the factory sets of these cards sell for in the $10-15 range? At $360 with shipping, the buyer spent about $345 on about $5 worth of injection molded plastic.
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Not all PSA sets have financial value and this is one example. Personally, I would never
    invest the time and $$ on this set.
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭
    Had I seen it I may high bid a bit higher. I usually look for lots to break and this would have fit my model. I think I missed it because of the gallery pic, just too much stuff with "set" in the title with ebays new extended titles. Having just the one card pictured I probably overlooked it as I scan quickly and would have thought it was just a Jordan from a set break.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think it's funny that a couple of you try to make excuses ($100 postage for example) for the low price. It's modern crap. We all have it. Sucks but it's mostly worthless. There is an endless supply of PSA 10 worthy cards for those years and there is almost zero demand. Again, it sucks but it's very much the reality of the situation.
  • I feel bad for who ever graded all these cards... the fees alone make the lot crazy!
  • cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the seller is a member here as well. Barkus. >>

He is a member here.
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If a complete factory sealed set of 500 cards sells for half the cost of grading a single card from the set, then you're not putting the set together for investment. http://www.ebay.com/itm/220918135969 The person putting together the set probably did so for the thrill of the chase and not with a great investment in mind.

• << <i>If a complete factory sealed set of 500 cards sells for half the cost of grading a single card from the set, then you're not putting the set together for investment. http://www.ebay.com/itm/220918135969 The person putting together the set probably did so for the thrill of the chase and not with a great investment in mind. >>

at some point the chase just becomes kind of stupid image

but everyone is free to spend their money as they wish.
  • sort of off topic but...I really like the auction format. Does anyone know how to get the PSA grid into the auction? Is it just a simple copy and paste? I didn't think that eBay allowed links to outside web-sites such as the link in this auction. Did this change or am I just mistaken? Thanks for the help. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. - Kevin