Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps 315 Durocher PSA 4 undergraded??

I think I made a nice little score for my 52 topps set. Picked up Leo Durocher, PSA 4, and paid a bit over book value, but dayum it's a beaut! For the life of me I can't figure out what PSA saw that they marked it down. My baseline for the set is PSA 6-7, this card has some of the best corners of any in my collection, as good as the 7s or even 7.5s. The color is pack fresh, gloss flawless and the centering almost dead on. I've scoured it for a crease or a mark from a paperclip or a pin hole or gum stains...nothing, nadda, zip.

I think I'm gonna crack and resubmit. I think it is surely a 6, and perhaps even a 7. What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hell if I know, nice looking card!

Maybe try the review process first?

Good for you.
  • Options
    Enlighten me on the review process. Does that hurt the odds of getting a better grade (i.e., it's a seven, but so they don't look like idiots for giving it a 4, they split the diff and give it a 5.5...)?

Thanks!

BR
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 823 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    correct link

looks like a different card to me than the link
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Indeed I do have a loupe...scoured over it and the ONLY thing I could spot at all was a very, very fine line, perhaps a quarter of an inch, running vertically through the black undershirt. But it is so fine, it seems to be beneath the surface, as though it were a flaw in the cardboard prior to the application of the inks. And when I angle the card in the light to see the gloss, I see no disturbance...it floats rather nicely over the spot. And the positioning is so odd. One would either expect a small crease near an edge, or a large one running through the middle. This one is so small, and in such a tight spot, one wonders how it could've gotten there after printing without inflicting more damage. And on the reverse, there is nothing. It is smooth, uniform, without apparent flaws.

Even if it IS a crease, it is so minor...it took several minutes of searching under bright light with magnification, that it begs the question if deducted two or three points was too extreme. Hence why I wonder if a regrade would be worth a try...
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 823 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    it must have a puny wrinkle or something...looks too nice to be a 4...
    if no wrinkle. crack it...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a few '52s that look like that and came back 5's. Could be a slight raise in the paper somewhere or the faintest of crease.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    It looks like there's creasing to the left of the Giants logo. The Ebayer you bought it from is very experienced with PSA grading and there will be something wrong with the card keeping it from grading higher. You might save some money by sending him a question.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    crack and resub...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>crack and resub... >>

Agreed... even if there is a small crease that should be PSA 5 card.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nothing to lose by cracking and resubbing. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. Gonna crack and resubmit. I think even with the flaw, as minor as it is, it should be a 5 or 6. Ultimately though, as the saying goes, you buy the card not the plastic, and even though I paid a bit over SMR, it was totally worth it. The positive characteristics: the centering, color, original gloss and corners, totally outweigh whatever flaw it is that lowered the grade. It'll be a great fit for the set!

I'll let you know what the new grade winds up being.
    BR