Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will crashing PM prices cast a pall over FUN?

shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
What say you FUN vets?
ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    For people collecting coins, as opposed to stacking bullion, I don't see what one has to do with the other. I wouldn't think there would be many people trekking to FUN just to buy bullion, and I doubt many dealers will be dragging a bunch of bullion to the show.

I suppose that people might be wanting to buy common gold like some of the $20 Saints at near bullion prices, and many dealers wont't want to sell at todays bullion prices, but that's about it as far as I can see.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in what the dealers say. My impression has been that it's like the stock market - there's more consumer confidence and stronger prices when the market is up, the opposite when down.

Translation - weaker offers for your coins, weaker auction prices realized.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    For people that deal in generics or bullion, it will be a very different show. I think most of them will probably be holding their inventories. A few will probably try to cut there losses and sell.

The more common Type 1 $20's that have seen a significant rise in premiums with rising gold prices will probably take a sizable hit.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say that it should have little effect.

The Duckor Saints, for example, will not be affected by the recent fall in gold prices. Even generic gold, which has not really risen along with gold prices, will not fall significantly. The FUN show especially is all about great coins, Platinum nights, displays, and optimism for the new year. If PM prices remain soft, this might be more of a problem for the winter Long Beach show.

The more common Type 1 $20's that have seen a significant rise in premiums with rising gold prices will probably take a sizable hit.

I am going to disagree with this, too. The Type I $20's are now being purchased and accumulated as numimsatic coins, not bullion equivalents.
  • Options
    I'm split on the issue, and I do think it's psychological. I don't think it will affect the higher-end auction material...but it might put some consumers and some dealers in a bad mood. I've seen similar events affect a show like Baltimore, I don't know if it would affect something the size of FUN. If I was a dealer thinking about losing $1MM last week...it might affect my outlook.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Most of the dealers I know that do a lot of bullion business are pretty careful to limit their exposure to
    price swings, so that should not be a major detraction. On the other hand, speculators and investors
    are notorious for buying into "up" markets and pulling back when prices go south, which could hurt cash
    flows for months. While I think that the upcoming FUN show will do well overall, in my opinion other shows
    coming up will be hurt by the PM "crash."
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choice, high end numismatic coins will continue to do well regardless of what bullion does.

Common or less than choice material will continue to decline regardless of what bullion does because the people who used to buy such material at shows are no longer attending due to lack of money.

Since FUN has always been a high-end numismatic show it probably won't be much affected by the decline in bullion value.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Ain't gonna help.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will adversely affect.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally rising bullion prices for much of the past 2-1/2 yrs has helped to keep the bulk of the rare coin market elevated. Current PM prices will certainly
    have an effect on those areas. The top 1-10% of coins that everyone chases after will be mostly unaffected. A sharp drop in bullion prices before any major coin
    is always a negative factor.

Dr. Duckor's Saints will also be affected. Let's see...approx 50 coins x $100 drop in gold.....about $5,000 less....image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>Generally rising bullion prices for much of the past 2-1/2 yrs has helped to keep the bulk of the rare coin market elevated. Current PM prices will certainly
    have an effect on those areas. The top 1-10% of coins that everyone chases after will be mostly unaffected. A sharp drop in bullion prices before any major coin
    is always a negative factor. >>

I talked with a dealer last night who said FUN will not be as good if there is a drop in PM prices and he doesn't deal in gold.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it will hurt.

Won't hurt the big-money collections (as was pointed out above, and I don't think it will hurt the classics dealers so much (although I would expect the overall lessening of foot traffic to effect even them), but there's a LOT of PM trading that goes on at FUN, and a dip on PMs will significantly affect that.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    It'll hurt me considering I was planning on selling a bunch of bullion to pay for my purchases. Now I have to figure something else out. image

-Paul
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many coin dealers derive a large part of their income from selling bullion and bullion related coins (common date Morgans, Saints, etc). When these dealers suffer a loss of income, it has to hurt the coin market to some degree.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Realone, I'm not saying it's a REAL crash, just a relative one...I bought most of my junk silver at $4/ounce so I know there's a long way to go. I would go so far as to say that the recent PM boom has kept the doors open on some shops that the economy would have shuttered. IMHO.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may add a bit more caution to a minority of buyers' willingness to spend.
    It may cause merchandise to be removed from a minority of dealers' cases.

My experience has been that FUN is a higher-end numismatic event which revolves around collector material, not bulk metals. Therefore, I don't think their current market pullback will have any significant effect on the show.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if history repeats itself like back in 1980 and the Hunt
    Brothers fiasco, when PM's fell, the hobby also got a couple
    of black eyes, it gave rise to everything modern cardboard.
    It was'nt until the State Quarters came out that the hobby
    started to regain it's composure and regain it, it did with a
    vengance, Franklins and Jeffersons come to mind. So don't
    let it spoil your FUN, either way if you look at it in a positive
    light, you should do OK and still enjoy the Hobby.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Many coin dealers derive a large part of their income from selling bullion and bullion related coins (common date Morgans, Saints, etc). When these dealers suffer a loss of income, it has to hurt the coin market to some degree. >>

+1 if they are selling.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    If PM's dive FUN won't be fune
  • Options
    It all depends upon where it was last week when dealers bought whats in their case PM wise
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think it is a good idea that rare coins de-couple from bullion prices.

As long as volume re the bullion market is consistent, dealers should make their money on the spread, which should be pretty constant in terms of percentage. Ie., if you make 5% on a Maple Leaf and its price goes from $1,800 to $1,650, that means the dealer would make $7.50 less per coin. He won't like it, but it shouldn't break the bank. Now if volume takes a hit during a drop in bullion prices, that's a different story. As I don't collect bullion, I don't know the ratio between rising and falling prices and bullion sales and demand for these items.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold isn't too bad. Silver & platinum are taking it much worse. Apart from that, I think it'll affect the low-end guys more than the high-end guys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file