Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Facepalm: eBay story of amusement & pattycakes.

13»

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    bking, there are probably tons of different situations where anything can happen when it comes to communication and recourse. Fine that you think its a horrible analogy, in many instances, it fits.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ok guys, here's your homework assignment. image

i've been scouring the eBay User Agreement, specifically the section on Buyer Protection, of course, and have yet to locate any reference to a limitation for the number of cases which may be opened in any time period, although there is specific reference pursuant to Buyer abuse and the remedies which include suspension or termination.

if anyone can locate a section in the agreement which identifies a limit on filing cases, i'd appreciate a link.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>ok guys, here's your homework assignment. image

i've been scouring the eBay User Agreement, specifically the section on Buyer Protection, of course, and have yet to locate any reference to a limitation for the number of cases which may be opened in any time period, although there is specific reference pursuant to Buyer abuse and the remedies which include suspension or termination.

if anyone can locate a section in the agreement which identifies a limit on filing cases, i'd appreciate a link. >>

Try this link:

Link

Specifically, the last sentence in the section labelled "Buyer eligibility and other restrictions" says:

"In addition, we reserve the right to temporarily, indefinitely, or permanently suspend your coverage under the eBay Buyer Protection Policy, immediately and without prior notice, if we suspect abuse; excessive cases; tampering; colluding with sellers to have sellers misdeclare the value of item for customs fees purposes; or interference with the proper working of eBay Buyer Protection."

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ok guys, here's your homework assignment. image

if anyone can locate a section in the agreement which identifies a limit on filing cases, i'd appreciate a link. >>

Try this link:

Link

Specifically, the last sentence in the section labelled "Buyer eligibility and other restrictions" says:

"In addition, we reserve the right to temporarily, indefinitely, or permanently suspend your coverage under the eBay Buyer Protection Policy, immediately and without prior notice, if we suspect abuse; excessive cases; tampering; colluding with sellers to have sellers misdeclare the value of item for customs fees purposes; or interference with the proper working of eBay Buyer Protection." >>

yessir, you and i are seeing the same thing.

so, at what point do they consider it excessive? where's the number?

like i stated much earlier in the thread, it all seems rather ambiguous, and my only defense really is to say, "At what point was I supposed to know about any imposed limit?"

i do agree, however, that if some kind of precedent was set or somebody's bell got rung, then the action is justifiable in order to keep the peace.

but, how might it hold up in a court of law? image
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>
    but, how might it hold up in a court of law? image >>

They keep it vague on purpose to give them wiggle room to deal with individual cases. If they had a fixed number, they couldn't have simply warned you.

There's a WHOLE LOT about the Ebay experience that wouldn't stand up in a court of law, IMO. But someone has to drag them into court, and they have VERY deep pockets, plus a VERY strong local Congresspelosi on their side.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    but, how might it hold up in a court of law? image >>

They keep it vague on purpose to give them wiggle room to deal with individual cases. If they had a fixed number, they couldn't have simply warned you.

There's a WHOLE LOT about the Ebay experience that wouldn't stand up in a court of law, IMO. But someone has to drag them into court, and they have VERY deep pockets, plus a VERY strong local Congresspelosi on their side. >>

as we are here now attempting to more clearly define policy, we also know that getting into a discussion about legalities would take us a very long time to reach a conclusion. image

i don't believe that it is wrong to question, if done constructively.

they've taken my actions as a reason to question me, so at least i've earned their attention.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dobalina!

I was really drunk last night! Morning guys!

Edit.
    Hey 2500!! Alright alright!

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    My crystal ball was in the closet. Notwithstanding............
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Dobalina!

image I was really drunk last night! Morning guys! >>

Am I the only one that found that hilarious? image
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    So wait you open a complaint on any seller where you are unhappy with the item yet they respond back right away in some cases offering a full refund?

So now I can't agree with how you handle these cases on eBay. Just like if you send a card into PSA to be graded, you may one day get it as EOT, the next a 6, then a 7 or finally the grader is extremely pissy and gives ya a 5.5.

Grading is subjective in a lot of cases, and if you are doing this to seller where the card is within 1 grade in your eyes of what they think it is then you are screwing a lot of sellers over possibly in the long run.

I mean hell if we want to follow eBay's guidelines for complaints does it not state to try and work something out with the seller and if you can't resolve the issue to THEN OPEN A COMPLAINT???????

EDIT: My fault for not reading all of itzagoner's post before I responded originally. You screw sellers over with opening complaints even if they agree to a full refund, you then don't leave negative feedback for any of these transactions to warn other potential buyers? I am sorry but what is your eBay username so I can add you to my blocked list?

• Options

<< <i>So wait you open a complaint on any seller where you are unhappy with the item yet they respond back right away in some cases offering a full refund?

So now I can't agree with how you handle these cases on eBay. Just like if you send a card into PSA to be graded, you may one day get it as EOT, the next a 6, then a 7 or finally the grader is extremely pissy and gives ya a 5.5.

Grading is subjective in a lot of cases, and if you are doing this to seller where the card is within 1 grade in your eyes of what they think it is then you are screwing a lot of sellers over possibly in the long run.

I mean hell if we want to follow eBay's guidelines for complaints does it not state to try and work something out with the seller and if you can't resolve the issue to THEN OPEN A COMPLAINT???????

EDIT: My fault for not reading all of itzagoner's post before I responded originally. You screw sellers over with opening complaints even if they agree to a full refund, you then don't leave negative feedback for any of these transactions to warn other potential buyers? I am sorry but what is your eBay username so I can add you to my blocked list? >>

brendan, you've been partying with handyman.

my eBay ID is: itzagoner

so is my identity and everything associated with me, this website, and just about anything else you can find on the Internet.

let me clarify something again, just so you understand: i filed to offer myself the protection afforded by eBay when an item was NOT AS DESCRIBED.

it has absolutely nothing to do with my expectations for grading, my expectations for profit or my expectations of seller liability.

when an item is NOT AS DESCRIBED, there immediately is an issue of trust, in my opinion.

in other words, if a seller states that there are NO CREASES, and there are creases, it becomes an issue of trust.

if a seller states that a card is clean front and back, and then there is the discovery of wax residue, gum stains, writing or other significant damage, it becomes an issue of trust.

if a seller states that a card has never been encased in a PSA slab, and i know and can prove that it has, it becomes an issue of trust.

i'm not out to screw sellers over, nor do i buy items based only on the possibility or probability i can profit by it, and if i can't, the transaction should be reversed.

i think you've misunderstood. i suggest you reread the thread and some of my replies.

my goal is to buy and sell in a safe environment. i want everyone to win. except for the crooks.
  • Options
    What we have here,,,,,, is failure,,,,,, to communicake.

Good for you.
  • Options
    For the spelling hounds, I spelled it that way on purpose.

Good for you.
  • Options
    bring it!

i'm so revved up, I am gonna go party with handyman!! image
  • Options
    Did you ever get restricted as a buyer?
  • Options

<< <i>Did you ever get restricted as a buyer? >>

no. buying has been a mostly pleasant experience for the past two years and the lesson has been learned. sensibility and selectivity rule.

buy less, enjoy more. even won a pretty ukulele the other day. can't wait to play it. image