Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm losing faith in the ATS *

Comments

  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's kinda "meh."
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    image
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    I don't think I like that! I'd look for there to be some incredible luster radiating on that cheek for a 64* and I do not like the Rev anyway (I think the coin may have been better served slabbed Obv up taking the spotlight off the Rev, if it indeed does not seem to carry the grade or *.

    Eric
  • Options
    The star is for superior eye appeal, correct? This one doesn't have it. It seems like a borderline 65, but they don't give out stars for that.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see you have returned........

    That picture is mediocre at best so i won't even comment on that coin, just the premise. Some * coins are very worthy and others maybe taken into question. In the end to each is own. Buy or pass on it's own merits. Cool coins are cool coins regardless of grade and designations. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options


    << <i>I see you have returned........MJ >>



    Was I not supposed to?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I see you have returned........MJ >>



    Was I not supposed to? >>



    No matter to me. I could have easily said welcome back, but It came out, "I see you have returned". It was just an acknowledgement. Fresh start. Best wishes. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin doesn't do anything for me. However, the pictures are not of high enough qualityfor me to judge the overall grading abalties of an entire company.

    Mercury

    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    Yes, the photographs appear really....unusual.

    Eric
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the problem with eye appeal---beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i> Cool coins are cool coins regardless of grade and designations. MJ >>



    I like that line!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a 1881-S in MS65 is only worth about half of what this coin sold for in a MS64* holder image

    GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    I don't like it as a star but I often disagree with NGC about it's use or non use of the designation.
  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>I see you have returned........MJ >>



    Was I not supposed to? >>



    No matter to me. I could have easily said welcome back, but It came out, "I see you have returned". It was just an acknowledgement. Fresh start. Best wishes. MJ >>



    Oh, well thanks. Im not really trying to hide. I dont think I did anything worth hiding over. I made some mistakes but made good on all of them so I dont feel like its a new start per se, just a lesson learned and a move forward.
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    In slabs of BOTH top tier grading companies you can find:

    - beautiful coins
    - ugly coins
    - overgraded coins
    - undergraded coins
    - problem coins in normal holders
    - problem-free coins in problem holders

    As MJ said, "Cool coins are cool coins regardless of grade and designations."
    People get so caught up in whether a coin is the "correct" slab or not.
    How many times have we heard it: "Buy the coin, not the holder."

    You know what I do when I'm looking for coins to buy?
    I completely ignore the slab and I make my decision solely based on if I like the coin's merits compared to its price.
    I couldn't care less what some anonymous-to-me group of coin graders thinks; it's about what I think.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    Not worth what the seller is asking for.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based upon that picture, I can't say that the coin is totally off. I don't know why the picture was shot at an angle.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had faith in the * concept.

    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder; it's not defined by what a holder says.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options


    << <i>In slabs of BOTH top tier grading companies you can find:

    - beautiful coins
    - ugly coins
    - overgraded coins
    - undergraded coins
    - problem coins in normal holders
    - problem-free coins in problem holders

    As MJ said, "Cool coins are cool coins regardless of grade and designations."
    People get so caught up in whether a coin is the "correct" slab or not.
    How many times have we heard it: "Buy the coin, not the holder."

    You know what I do when I'm looking for coins to buy?
    I completely ignore the slab and I make my decision solely based on if I like the coin's merits compared to its price.
    I couldn't care less what some anonymous-to-me group of coin graders thinks; it's about what I think. >>



    While I agree with you nearly fully, it cannot be ignored that the plastic affects the market, mostly for the good IMO but not to be ignored either way when its good or bad.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get the concept of the '*'.

    Are they trying to say that the coin is in the upper reaches of the technical grade or are they trying to say it's an attractive coin?

    Regardless, I don't need them to tell me what I should prefer and --- I suppose if a coin doesn't get the star.....ruhroh. Is it a barker?

    And besides, their slabs don't fit in my OG boxes.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on the picture it is hard to comment on the grade, I would not automatically say it was mis graded. The price being asked is what the owner thinks a person might pay. That does not mean it is worth it or not.

    AL
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Bad picture and bad lighting. Look how yellow the obverse holder material looks, except in the lower left corner.

    My guess is the guy tried to highlight the toning with a very oblique lighting angle.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I was one of the first people to bash the Walker that we discussed last week. It was a dog and was proven to be a dog. This coin is not a dog. The problem here is that the person taking the photo does not know what he is doing. He didn't know how to capture the color so he took the photo at a bizarre angle. The result is that the coin appears completely lackluster. I have trouble accepting that a partial crescent bag toned 1881-S Morgan Dollar is lackluster, because typically, they are not. I bet that any numismatic photographer worth his salt could take a photo of this coin and the reason for the assigned star designation would become immediately evident.

    Having said that, the star designation is supposed to represent exceptional eye appeal. IMO, exceptional is relative to how that coin normally appears. In much the same way that quality of strike is relative to the strike characteristics for that date/mm. Partial crescent toned common date Morgan Dollars are very common and usually bring a small premium. I find nothing about this coin to be exceptional, including it's eye appeal. The presence of a rainbow progression should not automatically win a star designation. It is about where we draw the line. Here is an example of the lunacy and drawing the line.

    image

    It is an attractive coin, but not exceptional. It has rainbow color, but like the coin in the OP, IMO, is not exceptional. But therein lies the problem with the star designation. We all have a different opinion of what "exceptional" means. Apparently, my standards are a little stricter that the 3 guys that graded both of these coins. I don't agree with the star designation for either coin, but neither is an affront to the designation like that Walker was.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up this one last night on eBay and it didn't get the STAR.
    image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've come to the conclusion that with frequent flyers, there's lots of money involved, a company will make it worth your while and reward you with extra gifts of appreciation.

    The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

    My Jefferson Nickel Collection

  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Based upon that picture, I can't say that the coin is totally off. I don't know why the picture was shot at an angle. >>



    It was probably shot at an angle because that is the only way you could see
    the colors?
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one time I sent coins, one had such brilliant tinsel-like gorgeous toning (one of my greatest coins from 20 years in the series) that it should had received-like 3 stars but didn't star at all and graded 66? But I wasn't really surprised (got a good laugh instead), what with all the 67s that are out there and what those coins look like, no, I wasn't surprised at all. Another coin I sent with that batch was cracked out of a PCGS holder. Wanted to see what they would do......questionable toning. 4 of the 5 coins submitted, they said had questionable toning. Another coin I had bought from a dealer, showed me other coins that were pulled from the same album that had the exact same toning were already certified so I bought one raw coin that I really liked....questionable toning. Needless to say, I haven't sent anymore money/submissions their way since.

    The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

    My Jefferson Nickel Collection

  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭
    What surprises me is that you had "faith" in it to begin with.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's NGC...what do you expect??
  • Options


    << <i>In slabs of BOTH top tier grading companies you can find:

    - beautiful coins
    - ugly coins
    - overgraded coins
    - undergraded coins
    - problem coins in normal holders
    - problem-free coins in problem holders

    As MJ said, "Cool coins are cool coins regardless of grade and designations."
    People get so caught up in whether a coin is the "correct" slab or not.
    How many times have we heard it: "Buy the coin, not the holder."

    You know what I do when I'm looking for coins to buy?
    I completely ignore the slab and I make my decision solely based on if I like the coin's merits compared to its price.
    I couldn't care less what some anonymous-to-me group of coin graders thinks; it's about what I think. >>

    You are a smart man!
  • Options
    I have said it before and I will say it again. The whole star concept is meaningless. As many of you have said eye appeal is completely subjective.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭
    Seems kind of unfair to criticize a grading company based on what appears to be a poorly taken photo.
  • Options
    At least the grade is right. I could care less whether a coin stars or not; as has been stated here, eye appeal is subjective. Moreover there could be a lot of luster not evident in the photo that could make this coin pop in hand. If the image is accurate, I don't think it is star worthy.
  • Options


    << <i>Well a 1881-S in MS65 is only worth about half of what this coin sold for in a MS64* holder image

    GrandAm image >>



    The coin didn't sell; it is the asking price.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Star grade? Doesn't look as though it has exceptional eye appeal.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ignore the star on the NGC slab label just as I ignore FIRST STRIKE on a certain other label.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>In slabs of BOTH top tier grading companies you can find:

    - beautiful coins
    - ugly coins
    - overgraded coins
    - undergraded coins
    - problem coins in normal holders
    - problem-free coins in problem holders

    As MJ said, "Cool coins are cool coins regardless of grade and designations."
    People get so caught up in whether a coin is the "correct" slab or not.
    How many times have we heard it: "Buy the coin, not the holder."

    You know what I do when I'm looking for coins to buy?
    I completely ignore the slab and I make my decision solely based on if I like the coin's merits compared to its price.
    I couldn't care less what some anonymous-to-me group of coin graders thinks; it's about what I think. >>



    Sums it up nicely. Buy the coin, not the holder.

    However, if I am buying a coin sight-unseen (or based on auction images, which is the same), I would give preference to PCGS, then NGC, and would think hard about going strong after an ANACS/ICG/NNC coins with sub-par images.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file