Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1858-c $5...would it cross? (update, it crossed)

stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
i picked this one up recently. it's my first charlotte gold coin. i am very happy with it. but i am wondering...would it cross to a pcgs holder? what do you think? the surfaces look original and uncleaned. i am not flipping it so i probably wouldn't cross it anyway, but i am just wondering.

imageimage

Comments

  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no reason why it would not cross. Grade might change but it should get holdered.

    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Look okay and if you select "cross at any grade" or picked VF30 as a minimum, it should cross.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the VF30 assessment.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, I would have to see that in hand to give you a decent appraisal. On the surface, it looks close to 40 grade (maybe 35), but judging the color on photos is very treacherous.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i should have clarified...i am wondering if it would cross with the same grade...apparently not. but here are two additional photos:

    imageimage

    sorry i cannot get better. it looks better than this, but this is as close as i can get with my limited photography skills
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,795 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Boy, I would have to see that in hand to give you a decent appraisal. On the surface, it looks close to 40 grade (maybe 35), but judging the color on photos is very treacherous. >>



    Looks closer to a VF35 but, as RYK said, you need to see it in hand.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    Not familiar with this date's strike/die characteristics but 40 seems generous.

  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, with the larger photos, I am inclined to go with choice VF (25-35). The 58-C $5 is generally well struck, and then the Charlotte strikes deteriorate for the next two years. I thought that the eagle wings were a little sharper as seen on the images in the OP. I think that even in a PCGS VF-30 holder, the coin is more liquid/valuable than in the ICG XF-40 holder.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I see no reason why it would not cross. Grade might change but it should get holdered.

    bobimage >>

    image





    << <i>Look okay and if you select "cross at any grade" or picked VF30 as a minimum, it should cross. >>

    image

    etc,etc...
  • Options


    << <i>Actually, with the larger photos, I am inclined to go with choice VF (25-35). The 58-C $5 is generally well struck, and then the Charlotte strikes deteriorate for the next two years. I thought that the eagle wings were a little sharper as seen on the images in the OP. I think that even in a PCGS VF-30 holder, the coin is more liquid/valuable than in the ICG XF-40 holder. >>



    Agree, looks decent though
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice original VF30 coin based on the new larger pics. Looks fine to me in the ICG holder that it now resides in.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Nice original VF30 coin based on the new larger pics. Looks fine to me in the ICG holder that it now resides in. >>


    It would bug me in the ICG holder. I would get it out of there.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭
    I think there is no chance in heck that it would cross at the same grade.
    PCGS VF25-30.

    nice coin btw. great example for the grade range.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    after looking at the coin more and comparing it with coinfacts and photograde...i think i am going to agree that it's in the 30-35 range...but 20-25? no way. this coin is better than that. thanks for your opinions and advice. i may try to cross it (with a minimum of 30) as i have another i am thinking of crossing at the same time. but, it won't be until 2012. i'll update the thread after i know.
  • Options


    << <i>...i may try to cross it (with a minimum of 30)... >>



    That's what I'd do too. Nothing against ICG at all but they have no street cred.

    It would look very nice in PCGS VF30 plastic with a green bean. image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont cross it , crack it and submit
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade the coin Choice VF-30, but quite often what I call VF-30 in this area ends up in EF-40 holders. The coin is nice an original. I agree with the others that the NCI slab will not improve its chances for a cross-over. A crack-out would not hurt its prospects for a a cross-over grade.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a 30 or 35 to me
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    update: i submitted this for crossover on 1/26/12. i chose the 15 day regular service. they received the coin on 2/1...no results yet. the suspense is killing me. hopefully, i will have an update soon and this doesn't become a 30 day submission.

    but, what gives? is the jury still out, or are they that far behind?
  • Options
    DanielBooneDanielBoone Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Should cross to PCGS at a lower grade in the range of VF25-30. Nice example from the Charlotte mint! Regards, Daniel Boone
    Successful Transactions With: PRoemisch, WTCG, CCFC, barberkeys, lkeigwin, ElmerFusterpuck, 123cents, coin22lover, coinlieutenant and abitofthisabitofthat
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has a chance at EF-40.
    That appears to be an early ICG holder, possibly graded by the folks currently an ANACS.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm voting VF 35 as these always seem overgraded and neither would I be surprised at a "40".

    PS Lord help them if this crossed the pond and was seen at Baldwin in London - it would be a so-called "good fine"!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    guess what? it crossed at xf40. i'll post a pic once i have it back.
  • Options
    VF 30, and I would cross it in its current holder. ICG supposedly has a guarantee should a major problem surface. With this said, the coin looks problem free from the photographs.

    Edited: Oops, I didn't see that the coin had already crossed.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>guess what? it crossed at xf40. i'll post a pic once i have it back. >>



    Well done!
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,283 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I think it has a chance at EF-40.
    That appears to be an early ICG holder, possibly graded by the folks currently an ANACS. >>





    << <i>guess what? it crossed at xf40. i'll post a pic once i have it back. >>



    I told you image
  • Options


    << <i>guess what? it crossed at xf40. i'll post a pic once i have it back. >>



    Congrats takes a good eye to cross. Its funny that all the Plastic lovers automatically deduct 10 points cause its ICG lol
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just came across this thread, and judging by the original pics, would've guessed VF30 or VF35. As Robert mentioned, the '58-C is generally THE best struck Charlotte half eagle of the 1850's, and this one looks like it has more loss of wear than weakness of strike... just an assessment based on how it appears in the pics.

    'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options


    << <i>guess what? it crossed at xf40. i'll post a pic once i have it back. >>



    Congratulations!

  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it must be the photos because only dcarr thought it had a chance of being a 40 besides me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file