Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WTC Coins


I would like to get the "Boards" opinion. Some people Hate them, others Love them. What say you? Personally I have a set 1-1440 ( 2001 ) SAE & $5.00 Gold Eagle. Originally graded by Collectors Universe GEM BU, then PCGS gave later coins a specific MS grade.
I'm looking at the Historic side. This was a horrible, vicious attack on our country. I'm not condoning the attack, will show and tell my Grandchildren about it someday.
Thanks!

Comments

  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,171 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Originally graded by Collectors Universe GEM BU, then PCGS gave later coins a specific MS grade. >>



    I'm confused...why did PCGS originally grade them BU?
    I do not collect the WTC label for the ASE's or AGE's, but would consider owning one or two if the price is reasonable.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Here we go
  • Options

    OPA

    November - December 2001, the coins are slowly recovered, and eventually sent to Collectors Universe, which is not a grading company itself. Coins are listed as " GEM Uncirculated "

    December 2001 - June 2002, PCGS starts grading and catalogs the recovered coins. So there are two varieties, Collectors Universe & PCGS.
  • Options

    My Bad,

    Forgot to mention a very important point. The early slabbed WTC coins on the back say " Collector's Universe ", the later slabbed say " PCGS ".
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks. I'm not interested in them.
  • Options
    not a big fan
  • Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Not my cup of tea.
    BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find them to be interesting but they are not worth to me the premiums over melt that they are bringing.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 24,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect coins recoverd from Pompeii either, but that's just me. Collect what you find interesting.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I guess if anyone wants to get caught up in the marketing whirlwind of WTC on a label, that's their choice.

    To me, it's just another marketing ploy to jack up the price for something because it "may" have been at ground zero on 9-11-01.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭


    << <i>I don't collect coins recoverd from Pompeii either, but that's just me. Collect what you find interesting. >>





    << <i>I'm looking at the Historic side. This was a horrible, vicious attack on our country. I'm not condoning the attack, will show and tell my Grandchildren about it someday. >>




    To me, that pretty much covers it. This was probably the biggest "homeland" event in my lifetime (55 y.o. as I type). It touched me deeply, like it did many people. I purchased (and still own) a WTC ASE. I bought it for what it stands for. Not for any potential investment value. I bought one for my daughter too. We were together, along with her husband, that day. The coins serve as a reminder to us.



    Dan
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one that PCGS gave me when I Joined years ago
    when I look at it, It reminds me of a lot of boys & girls
    that lost there Daddys that day, and as an easy going
    guy that I am, it serves to harden me and remind me
    don't ever forget those @#$%^*&amp; that did that to us.

    Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,171 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>My Bad,

    Forgot to mention a very important point. The early slabbed WTC coins on the back say " Collector's Universe ", the later slabbed say " PCGS ". >>



    Last time I checked, and I'm a stock holder, Collectors Universe & PCGS are the same company.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭


    << <i>would consider owning one or two if the price is reasonable. >>


    image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not a big fan of them here either
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭
    I bought them when they were originally sold as BU. Bought them for historical/sentimental value. Haven't sold one, nor do I plan to. I'm still on the wire about trying to complete a complete silver set. Not sure what years were found. And yes, they were there on 9/11. They were engulfed in ruble which took some time to recover. Then taken to PCGS via armored car and slabbed. I don't need/want a numerical grade. If you bought an 1804 silver dollar, would it matter to you about XF 45 or ms 64? All I would want is a holder so I can handle it, and, proof it's genuine. God bless their soles.image
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

    image
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    Few years ago I came across a large hoard of these and flipped them quickly... they are not especially scarce. All kinds of coins made it into those slabs.... even saw a '99-w MS $10 AGE in one.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    To me they are no better than colorized or stickered coins, or plated crap from the New England Mint, etc. It's crap created to exploit events in hopes of trapping poorly-educated suckers.

    Worth melt at most.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>To me they are no better than colorized or stickered coins, or plated crap from the New England Mint, etc. It's crap created to exploit events in hopes of trapping poorly-educated suckers.

    Worth melt at most. >>




    Wow, that's pretty ignorant. These things went down into the rubble in the most cataclysmic even to hit America since Pearl Harbor, and you compare them to colrized state quarters? And I always thought coin collectors doubled as history lovers...

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Nothing ignorant at all. It's hyped to exploit tragic events. Nothing good about it at all.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    Many may have good reason for rejecting these, but it's simply wrong to say that "nothing good came of them." From what I read, quite a chunk of money was raised from the sale of the WTC that CW paid to a 9/11 victim charity.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, the history of them might be more interesting if they were tied to a specific and special business or person @ WTC.

    These were being held in the subbasements @ WTC and were buried when the WTC collapsed. That's about the whole of the story.

    We often talk of provenance for coins. These only have "buried under WTC" as a provenance. We don't even know who owned them nor how they were afftected by the WTC attacks.


    There will be collectors of the items just as there are Titanic collectors.



    I'm interested in them, too. But not so much as to pay much more than melt for them.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    "From what I read, quite a chunk of money was raised from the sale of the WTC that CW paid to a 9/11 victim charity."

    From what I just read in a PCGS thread posted by smoeone I think is a good source, they did not. I would like to know if they did or did not since that old thread?

    Eric
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭


    << <i>It's hyped to exploit tragic events. >>


    WTC911coins.com


    "A portion of the proceeds from sales of the autographed coins will be donated to the Jessica Lynch Foundation that provides scholarships to the children of military personnel," said Miles Standish, Senior Vice President of PCGS.
    image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong (heck, it might even be likely), but the only coins associated with the WTC that were used to raise money for charity were those pieces that never had a physical presence at the WTC and were instead auctioned off right here on the boards with all the money going to charity. If others have links to show charity work from subsequent sales then I would be happy to read them.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options

    I'm thinking you are wrong, your are in the business, it should be easy enough for you to find out! Just saying!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I'm thinking you are wrong, your are in the business, it should be easy enough for you to find out! Just saying! >>



    This seems to be your collecting niche and you have come on here requesting input so perhaps you could share your knowledge of this area.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    I think they're morbid. Owning one would almost be like grave robbing. To me.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>It's hyped to exploit tragic events. >>


    WTC911coins.com


    "A portion of the proceeds from sales of the autographed coins will be donated to the Jessica Lynch Foundation that provides scholarships to the children of military personnel," said Miles Standish, Senior Vice President of PCGS.
    image >>



    Don't get me started on Jessica Lynch. Anyone who had a chance to study her AAR knows the whole thing is a media story. Captured because of her own combat inaptitude and released after being treated like a guest. Hero indeed.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭
    I worked there high in the South Tower.

    I lost over 100 friends and co-workers.

    The coins were the one's housed in the vaults at 7 World Trade Center.

    I'm not a fan, but understand why people would want a momento from the tragedy.

    To each their own.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file