Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

1678 Kreuzer, and a rare 1943 China Dollar SOLD

PCGS MS 65 $300 Paypal check MO. Price Delivered Priority in time for YOUR Christmas present to yourselfimageSOLD

imageimage

Silver 41 mm 38 Grm $750 or offersSOLD
Used in China Indonesia area by US Forces to buy morphine for wounded soldiers. Quite Rare in any condition. This still has mint luster and minimal distraction on the surfaces.

This is the only Auction I could find for a price reference and it is 2007 before China coins got Hot.

2007 Heritage Auction results.

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    holy mackerel that's awesome. never heard of it. sounds like a good 'emergency coinage' additon! yours is Davenport 210?

WW II Issues
    - Important issues listed in every major catalog of Chinese coins.

"Whether the 3 foregoing coins were sponsored by the Central Government, or by the provincial authorities; or by the commanders in the field, requires elucidation. Up to now it has not been ascertained where these coins were struck. Perhaps in Kunming, but possibly in Burma."
    Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Coins(1963)E. Kann

"#210 and #211 issued supposedly to pay troops operating on the Yunnan-Burma border and circulated in both Yunnan and Burma. Reeded edge."
    Davenport - Dollars of Africa. Asia and Oceana (1969),

"During the WW II Chinese troops stationed in Burma Border together with a number of British and American soldiers. To cope with these special circumstances, the following Tael was minted"
    H. Chang The Silver Dollars and Taels of China (1981)

The specimens in my collection were purchased in the early 1980's.

(ttp://exonumismatics.com/china/china.html)
  • Options
    The China Yunan Stag is actually issued by French Indo-China, earlier it was thought to be minted in China, but record found later indicated that they were minted in Hanoi, Indochina. Anyway, they were circulated all over the place!
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    1943 Kann 939
    Davenport 210
    Chang CH 151
    Oka: Yunan Burma 1
    Obv: Genuine silver 1 Tael
    in Burmese and Chinese characters
    Rev: Stag's head
    Formerly China Yunan Burma Y 497
    Formerly Laos KM 3.1
    Formerly French IndoChina KM 3
    (2006) French IndoChina KM A 3

Is the one in that link Hyperion .

I was told by other forum members here, that were much more knowledgeable than I, that this one was a 210. I am clueless beyond that. This does not have a reeded edge, and the one in the HA I linked to appears to be without reeding also. Do you have examples that do.image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    get that chinese dollar slabbed and authenticated! No doubt I bet chinese counterfeiters trying to fake them.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Well if they are, they are not showing up on the market in any quantity that I have seen. I may have seen across 2 or 3 in twenty years. This one does not have that Chinese counterfeit "LOOK" to it.
  • Options
    Great coin!
    Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options
    There were two in the Daniel Ching sale in 1991 (lots 1293 and 1294) titled Loas Stag Head Tael. One had a plain edge, one had a bold reeded edge.
    Bruce Smith wrote the catalog, and grouped these with Laos Opium syndicate coins. Here's the text, paraphrased:
    "For years dealers sold these as Yunnan-Burma coins, supposedly to pay workers on the Burma Road. Thierry finally found the answer... At the beginning of WWII the FRench gov't began a reorganization and expansion of their opium monopoly in French Indochina.In order to increase production Fu taels and 1/2 taels were minted in Hanoi. Rene MErcier engraved the dies and struck the coins; his papers reside in the Paris mint.

We don't know that this coin is related to the French Opium Syndicate, but they seem related to the Fu coins.The stag head taels are thought to be a little later than the Fu coins, as a grammatical error is corrected...Opium production increased 800% from 1940 to 1945."

Prices realized were $80 and $85 dollars respectively.
    Chinese cash enthusiast
  • Options
    Great info, Thanks. Any offers?
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Ya, I wish that stage was slabbed!
    Very cool