Home Precious Metals

A friend of mine has thirty Gold Swiss Francs they are looking to sell

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
It was part of a family inheritance, and apparently the coins are what is left of those that were given to guards to escape during the holocaust. She is selling because her family is having very difficult times.

What is the best place to sell these for her? Obviously I want to get her the most for them. We have an offer from a local shop of $307 each. Melt is around $322.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• What condition are they in? 95% of melt does not seem unreasonable these days.
  • Piece them out
    Offer them on the bst
    Youll sell them fast and get more than 307 per
    Ps the buyer shouldnt be paying less than 1% back of spot.
    If you need an actual store who will pay better pm me
    I dont want to violate posting rules
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $15 back of melt local if they're circs sounds fine by me..........how many? Worth the time to single list??
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    They all looked UNC to me.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

• << <i>They all looked UNC to me. >>

You had a good offer, apmex is offering $315 each, but you need 10 grand to qualify.

The market for non-bullion gold is crap now.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) 30 swiss francs at $307=$9210 in one fell swoop

2) 30 swiss francs at $315 if you piece them out over several transactions or really shop them around = $9450

Is it worth the extra 2.5% or $240 is what you have to ask yourself.

The other question is what is gold tanks while you are trying to sell these off piece meal? Obvioulys the opposite could hold true.

I wish your friend the best. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    My dealer I believe pays 97% this type. A little better than you were offered. PM me if you want his number
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I just texted my dealer. He pays 96% for them if interested.

<< <i>My dealer I believe pays 97% this type. A little better than you were offered. PM me if you want his number >>

That would be $312 an oz and it seems in line. They would have to pay for the shipping probably so the net gain maybe close to $100 doing it this way over the local coin shop offer. The local alternative still maybe more palatable. Depends I guess on the individual and the circumstances. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    I will ask to see what she wants to do. Thanks for the advice everyone!
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tulving's site offers to buy at spot ($323.50) but in qty of 50 pcs or more. Still, he might be close to that for 30 pcs (decent XF pcs).
    If he's paying that then there must be others as well. With 50 pc min Tulving makes $300. So worst case in my mind would be $300 profit
    on a 30 pc lot ($313.50 each). I think you could get something in the middle though. Haven't personally dealt with Tulving. Anyone here have inputs on that?

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a classic bird in the hand or two in the bush question. Over the past 48 house the melt value has fluctuated between roughly $318 and roughly $326. Tomorrow it may be different. If you ship them, the buyer may not lock in until he or she receives them.

Try asking the local buyer if he or she will pay 97%. If not, ask for a counteroffer, but be prepared to make a decision right away.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    I assume by "swiss franc" you are actually referring to a 20 franc piece, about 1/5 oz. of gold by weight? So she has 30 coins x 20 francs, or 600 francs? By the way, similar coins were issued in 10 franc denominations. Also, you might want to check these by date to see if some are more scarce than the others, etc.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

• << <i>1) 30 swiss francs at $307=$9210 in one fell swoop

2) 30 swiss francs at $315 if you piece them out over several transactions or really shop them around = $9450

The other question is what is gold tanks while you are trying to sell these off piece meal? Obvioulys the opposite could hold true.

I wish your friend the best. MJ >>

The logic here is right on point!
    He is willing to increase his offer to $310 each. Im going to suggest she take that deal.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

<< <i>He is willing to increase his offer to $310 each. Im going to suggest she take that deal. >>

Not to stir the pot but gold is up $10 plus dollars since your original postimage

MJ

• << <i>

<< <i>1) 30 swiss francs at $307=$9210 in one fell swoop

I wish your friend the best. MJ >>

The logic here is right on point! >>

Take the 310 and run!
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Take the 310 and run!

Borrowing a quote from MJ:

This!
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    We have a forum member here that has brokered 300 oz deals. I was going to recommend him but it looks like I'm too late.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure hope they took the money and ran......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.