Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who "owns" TruView pictures?

I bought a coin off Mr. Feld a few months back which turned out to be a CoinFacts coin and it had been TruViewed during its past grading. Obviously, this was done before I had ownership of the coin...

So who ultimately "owns" (or has the right to share) the TruView pics? PCGS? The person that paid for the photography in the first place? The person that owns the coin currently?

I'm sure in the end, it doesn't make a huge difference but some people/companies are particularly strict w/ copyrights, who can/can't share, etc...

I guess in a round about way I'm asking if it's in OK form for me to copy a picture from the PCGS site, post it here, and show off a new(ish) piece?

Comments

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The person that paid for the photography in the first place? >>

This would be my, obviously wrong, answer. image
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I think PCGS does.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think PCGS owns the rights to the photo.
  • Options
    Yep you pay PCGS but they still own it
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep you pay PCGS but they still own it >>

• Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep you pay PCGS but they still own it * >>

* Citation needed
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    << Yep you pay PCGS but they still own it >>

Correct! Think about it, does PCGS have to get your permission when they post it on CoinFacts? Nope

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actully along the same lines if you post a image on this site you give them rights to use it if they want to. It's in the TOS...
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure if you show off you image they don't mind. Just use some common sence. Post the coins you own.

Here is an image I found of a coin I sent in for grading, and they imaged it for the Coin Facts.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    From the trueview email:

Dear TrueView Customer,

Your PCGS TrueView Photographs are now available for downloading. These images are available in three separate sizes for your convenience. You may use these pictures for your registry sets, online auctions, and even use them to make quality prints of your coins (however, please note that PCGS retains all copyrights).

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting as I would think whomever paid for the pictures is now the owner and not pcgs

I would also guess that by using true view you are allowing pcgs to keep and post their work to coinfacts

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Schwing!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to roll that bad boy out elmeister.
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From the trueview email:

Dear TrueView Customer,

Your PCGS TrueView Photographs are now available for downloading. These images are available in three separate sizes for your convenience. You may use these pictures for your registry sets, online auctions, and even use them to make quality prints of your coins (however, please note that PCGS retains all copyrights). >>

Thanks!
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photographer (in this case, PCGS) owns the image, regardless of who owns the coin.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    here's the coin in question... w/ this one, i'm happy w/ my Barber 25c type piece finally! thanks for the replies!

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can use them for virtually whatever you want, what is the difference who owns them? It seems like the only thing you cannot do with TrueViews is sell them.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting as I would think whomever paid for the pictures is now the owner and not pcgs >>

They are selling you a right to use the photo, not the photo itself. Which is pretty standard stuff in the world of photography.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Great Coin! Thanks for sharing!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting as I would think whomever paid for the pictures is now the owner and not pcgs

I would also guess that by using true view you are allowing pcgs to keep and post their work to coinfacts >>

Then again PCGS wouldn't generally bother taking those pics unless someone paid them to do so.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< Yep you pay PCGS but they still own it >>

Correct! Think about it, does PCGS have to get your permission when they post it on CoinFacts? Nope >>

Unless smoeone is uber paranoid about it, why should anyone care?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ooops... I should not even post here after all the mistakes I made publicly image
  • Options
    Facebook is going to own us all, soon image
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Buy the photo, not the holder.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own my copy of my TruView.... the original is owned by PCGS. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    When you get your family photo from Olan Mills, go somewhere and try to copy it and see what happens. You don't own it.

• Options

<< <i>When you get your family photo from Olan Mills, go somewhere and try to copy it and see what happens. You don't own it. >>

Simple , concise, respectful and lawful. I like that.
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Unless a contract states otherwise, the "owner" of an image (i.e. the person who controls the rights to how the image is used/copied) is the photographer/artist the captured/drew/created the image.

So in the case of something like Olan Mills or Portrait Innovations, the studio has a contract between the photographer and the studio that gives ownership of the images to the studio. But when you buy portraits from the studio, you are only buying a "copy" of the image the studio created. In absence of a contract selling you the rights to the image, the studio retains the ownership (i.e. copyright) of the image.

So from what I'm hearing from the terms laid out by PCGS regarding TruView images, they apparently have a contract between the photographer and PCGS that give PCGS the rights to the image, they then turn around and give us near free rein on what we can do with the images... but it's only because PCGS has given us permission to post/copy/print the image that we are allowed to do so. By PCGS retaining the rights to the image, they can withdrawal that permission anytime they want to because PCGS "owns" the image.
  • Options

<< <i>The photographer (in this case, PCGS) owns the image, regardless of who owns the coin. >>

Yup, copyright goes to the creator of the work. It is this rendering that has value. It doesn't matter who owns (or owned) the item that was rendered. If I photograph the Mona Lisa, I own copyright of that image although the original work is "owned" by the French government/people/museum (not exactly sure in this particular case, but you get the idea).
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file