Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quick heads-up about a clip that isn't a clip

seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just found this auction for an 1851 Large Cent with a clip. The coin was damaged post-Mint and is not a genuine error. The thick rims on large cents show some of the best metal flow and Blakesley effect of all US coins, even on the tiniest rim clips, probably thanks to their large size and soft composition. If you're not sure what I mean by "metal flow" and "Blakesley effect" take a look at this auction for an 1851 half cent. See how the rim seems to fall away into the clip That's metal flowing into the void under striking pressure. See the weak rim directly opposite the clip? That's Blakesley effect, caused by a lack of counterpressure during the upsetting process.

At least three people have already bid on the damaged coin auction, don't let yourself be the fourth. As always if you have any questions about error coin attribution you can post them here or PM me (I'll use the utmost discretion, especially if the auction is still running image )

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No real interest in errors but I did click so that I can learn about the blakesly effect!
    thanks!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very informative... thanks... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thank you for taking the time to share that info Sean. I certainly appreciated it image
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    thanks for the quick lesson!

intresting that the notch/clip is at the same location on both coins
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't tell with the crappy pictures if it is or not.Not all
    clips show a blaksley effect.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pics are crappy, but the clip is indeed bogus. The denticles there would be weaker if the clip were genuine.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file