Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When America goes to a cashless society...

Besides gold and silver what coins are you going to be jumping on?? I'm thinking the presidential dollars will be hot.

Comments

• Options
    Right after we Nuke everything
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    State quarter spoons will finally have their day! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    moderns will no longer be modern???!?!?!?!?!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of collecting coins, I'll just contemplate the void.....

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    When America goes to a cashless society...the IRS will prepare and email your tax statement to you for your signature...image

and I'll have silver coins.
  • Options
    I'm saving all my expired credit cards awaiting the day they can be encapsulated and graded. I figure a MS68 Platinum card will be worth something someday.

geez. could this be possible?
  • Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    It already is in parts of Louisiana!... and Monopoly has now gone cashless!! They have
    an edition that uses an electronic banking calculator and no cash. It's called the
    "Here & Now World Edition!"

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm saving all my expired credit cards awaiting the day they can be encapsulated and graded. I figure a MS68 Platinum card will be worth something someday.

geez. could this be possible? >>

Only if you somehow became famous...

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins and currency are the main items of National character that we use daily. It unifies the country. It gives us a sense of belonging to a nation. Once you take away coins and currency with the identity of the country on them, you turn over the national identity to the banks.

Sad day when that happens.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>Coins and currency are the main items of National character that we use daily. It unifies the country. It gives us a sense of belonging to a nation. Once you take away coins and currency with the identity of the country on them, you turn over the national identity to the banks.

Sad day when that happens. >>

Not only sad but dangerous. The banks can't oversee themselves much less all of us. Bonuses for all bank execs.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coins and currency are the main items of National character that we use daily. It unifies the country. It gives us a sense of belonging to a nation. Once you take away coins and currency with the identity of the country on them, you turn over the national identity to the banks.

Sad day when that happens. >>

During the early years of our history, there was strong national unity even though foreign coins were widely used in domestic transactions. Now we have a common currency but little national unity. Today's base-metal coins do little to instill a sense of national pride.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the 1st "Mark of the Beast" post. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Would coin collecting become irrelevant, like stamp collecting apparently has? image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would coin collecting become irrelevant, like stamp collecting apparently has? image >>

Um ... coin collecting is irrelevant to the great majority of people in this country. Even the US Mint's fantastical statement of the State Quarter Program creating 10 million coin "collectors" reflects less than 3% of the population. Coins are a means (medium of exchange) to an end (buying stuff) for the vast majority of people in this country. And coins are an inconvenient means at that. Credit/debit cards are a welcome respite from having to carry coins or notes.

Coins ... we love 'em. But we ain't normal. We are all just giddy with excitement over the 25th Anniversary sets, frothing every time it's discussed. Does anybody really think the general public gives a hoot about them? If you do ... then next time you are at Starbucks paying for your pumpkin spice latte with dollar coins, ask one of the masses. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the early years of our history, there was strong national unity even though foreign coins were widely used in domestic transactions. Now we have a common currency but little national unity. Today's base-metal coins do little to instill a sense of national pride.

I didn't say National Pride, I said National Identity.

Prior to 1857, yes there was a majority of foreign coinage and bank-issued currency in circulation. There was little national unity, though. Think, uh...Civil War.

I would blame any perceived national disunity on the political sectionalisim in the media (TV, radio and internet), not the coinage.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>When America goes to a cashless society... >>

It will never happen...what are you gonna give your nieces and nephews and your grandchildren to spoil them when you see them....??
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EagleEye is correct .... Coins and currency are a major form of national identity. It is the same in all countries... which is one reason why the Euro was resisted. It may soon be irrelevant, and surely if that happens, new currency will be put forth and undoubtedly be of a nationalistic nature. Europe has never been 'united', and likely will not be in our lifetimes - or well beyond. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my prediction is that no one reading this thread will live to see a completely "cashless society" in the Unites States; the majority of small transactions will always be in cash.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>my prediction is that no one reading this thread will live to see a completely "cashless society" in the Unites States; the majority of small transactions will always be in cash. >>

Especially at 3% per transaction!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You'll never see it. We can't even retire cents and dollar bills! >>

Agree. It'll never happen in our life time. As long as gold and silver has value, countries will continue to mint gold and silver coins to sell to their citizens for profit and, as long as countries continue to have reckless fiscal policies, people will continue to buy them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be selling corn to cheeseheads from wisconsin (they got extra leafs we can wipe with). Maybe we'll just trade cow for cow or go toe to toe. (that's a Po' Tay Toe joke)
  • Options

<< <i>

Agree. It'll never happen in our life time. As long as gold and silver has value, countries will continue to mint gold and silver coins to sell to their citizens for profit and, as long as countries continue to have reckless fiscal policies, people will continue to buy them. >>

Governments could easily stop minting gold coins and confiscate the ones already minted. We did it in 1933.
  • Options
    On second thought... maybe I'll borrow a copy of Moby Dick from a good doctor.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Agree. It'll never happen in our life time. As long as gold and silver has value, countries will continue to mint gold and silver coins to sell to their citizens for profit and, as long as countries continue to have reckless fiscal policies, people will continue to buy them. >>

Governments could easily stop minting gold coins and confiscate the ones already minted. We did it in 1933. >>

People are far more sophisticated today and would ignore such a government order. Since I don't own any gold or silver, it wouldn't affect me anyway.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

Not only that, they can turn out worthless planchets of almost any metal, or plastic for that matter, and call it money!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Governments could easily stop minting gold coins and confiscate the ones already minted. We did it in 1933. >>

People are far more sophisticated today and would ignore such a government order. Since I don't own any gold or silver, it wouldn't affect me anyway.image >>

I think the fact that people, and their transactions, are far more easily monitored today, would be the compelling factor. Sure, you'll always have an underground economy, but I think most people wouldn't risk jail time over a gold coin, as they might over, say drugs for instance.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before we go cashless we will go credit card-less. Your smart phone will be your credit card. Do a bit
    of research on NXPI and you'll see what the future is offering.

I don't own nor recommend NXPI and I am not a financial advisor so take a chance if you will, but do
    it on your own!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I don't think we will see a cashless society, because the governments around the world will find a way to continue printing more money in forms of bailouts.. just look at Greece
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think we will see a cashless society, because the governments around the world will find a way to continue printing more money in forms of bailouts.. just look at Greece >>

Most "printed" money isn't printed. For example, the FED buys government bonds and "prints" the money by electronically depositing the money in the treasury, who in turn electronically deposits the money in various places. Doing away with actual printed money will be easy. Even most vending machines over seas take debit cards.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see it now

Grading and slabbing credit cards

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Does anyone notice the note on Kitco's page ?
    image Did America go to a cashless society today ?
    " Did gold really not change? "
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When America goes to a cashless society... >>

I'm moving to Costa Rica. image
    ED
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....I see a lot of Americans that are already "cashless".
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    If I reach my current "life expectancy" I will be around for another 50 years. I would be willing to bet
    that I will not live to see a cashless society. Even with the huge changes I have seen so far in my
    life, I just cannot see this one coming about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file