Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Ann. ASE prices - like catching a falling knife??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have been watching the prices realized on ebay.

Seems like the prices are falling. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    BST folks still try to get $3900+ for a sealed 5er (!).

That ship sailed.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw open sets seem to be staying the same since we started getting them from the Mint.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    PCGS MS70 set - $2850 - 11.19.11.
    PCGS MS70 set - $1850 - 11.30.11.

Same seller.

OUCH!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what happens when people grab all they can (picture the posts of people that got 50 sets, 100 sets, etc) and then want out shortly after and FLOOD the market.
    Even though there are, I am sure, more than 100k collectors that want these, even with the number of eyes on ebay, it isn't as large as the flood.

So, rather than getting a larger premium, the folks flooding are after more sales at less amounts, so the smaller folks come down as well and it is a repeating downward spiral.

"Greed" may be "good", in some instances, but the over obsession with it by some folks can be sickening.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Today was the earliest I could get mine listed. I have 69 set just listed.
    Since anyone who is looking for one knows what the set contains, I limited my
    description and hope the pics and the OGP will help bring a decent price.

What to you think?

Not trying to sell in this thread, but thought it may be used as a gauge for a set with the OGP.

me ebay listing
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The unopened box of 5 sets are dropping approx. @ $150 per week in price. Now selling in the $3500 - $3700 range
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is too funny. Ill have to watch...
  • Options

<< <i>Today was the earliest I could get mine listed. I have 69 set just listed.

What to you think?

Not trying to sell in this thread, but thought it may be used as a gauge for a set with the OGP.

me ebay listing >>

Excellent job in photography ... to bad the numbers are not in sequence. I've got one set coming back to me from PCGS with sequential # coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Today was the earliest I could get mine listed. I have 69 set just listed.

What to you think?

me ebay listing >>

Excellent job in photography ... to bad the numbers are not in sequence. I've got one set coming back to me from PCGS with sequential # coins. >>

Ditto....but, do you think there will be a premium for a set with sequential numbers?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What to you think?

me ebay listing >>

Excellent job in photography ... to bad the numbers are not in sequence. I've got one set coming back to me from PCGS with sequential # coins. >>

Ditto....but, do you think there will be a premium for a set with sequential numbers? >>

with FS out there, you'd think there might be some, but I have not found any price premium for sequential numbers.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Ditto....but, do you think there will be a premium for a set with sequential numbers? >>

Don't know...I've yet to come across one. If anyone sees one, please give me a heads-up.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great place to post the LOWEST price paid for a set. Let's see who can get the biggest YOU SUCK Award image
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Some folks on BST were buying everything in site at $4000 per..Ouch!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>This is a great place to post the LOWEST price paid for a set. Let's see who can get the biggest YOU SUCK Award image >>

$299.95
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a great place to post the LOWEST price paid for a set. Let's see who can get the biggest YOU SUCK Award image >>

$299.95 >>

Excellent response.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS MS70 set - $2850 - 11.19.11.
    PCGS MS70 set - $1850 - 11.30.11.

Same seller.

OUCH!

Russ, NCNE >>

ouch to the first buyerimage
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another A25 thread from Lakes. image

K
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    From my observations the peak of the market on Ebay was on Thurs. the 17th where sealed 5'ers were bringing between $4250.00 - $4500.00 and single opened sets were also bringing very strong money. Then starting on Fri. morning the 18th prices began to drop and by Sun. night the 20th they had weakened considerably across the board which continued into the following week.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ditto....but, do you think there will be a premium for a set with sequential numbers? >>

for a 70 set (now) sure, but later, i doubt it too much, just don't hold me to it.

69's no
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Contrived "rarities" with the ENTIRE mintage in high grade uncirculated. Flame on image
  • Options

<< <i>Contrived "rarities" with the ENTIRE mintage in high grade uncirculated. Flame on image >>

Not the ENTIRE mintage, some of them were rattling around loose inside the mint packaging image
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's what happens when people grab all they can (picture the posts of people that got 50 sets, 100 sets, etc) and then want out shortly after and FLOOD the market.
    Even though there are, I am sure, more than 100k collectors that want these, even with the number of eyes on ebay, it isn't as large as the flood.

So, rather than getting a larger premium, the folks flooding are after more sales at less amounts, so the smaller folks come down as well and it is a repeating downward spiral.

"Greed" may be "good", in some instances, but the over obsession with it by some folks can be sickening. >>

I think once the flood goes away they will go back up and level off. Maybe not go higher than the peak.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

What to you think?

me ebay listing >>

Dang.........Can I use your images for my 69 set, I'll just change the cert numbersimageimage
    Looks like a great set up. I may do that, takes time but makes a great presentation...........

• Options
    Hello, Come on you guys are smarter than that!!..........sales started on Oct 27th............besides presales these coins weren't in hand until the 8-10th of Nov........and now your saying they are tanking!!..........simple price adjustment and then upward and onward............Anybody who has dealt in modern issues with limited mintage knows this............and as prices drop watch the big guys get back into the game.......fresh with profits from the first round.........If anyone needs to get out now then I understand but smart money is holding IMO.............if selling set a price and sit.............what's the worst that can happen........???
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The unopened box of 5 sets are dropping approx. @ $150 per week in price. Now selling in the $3500 - $3700 range >>

I sure got in while the gettin' was good... sold a Bo5 2 weeks back for a BIN of $4,350... If it were on the bay today, it would probably have gone for about $3,500 based on what I've seen today. Can't lay claim to the highest sold price - there were a couple about $5-$50 more - and the prices on single sets are hovering around $725... Bochiman's got it right, methinks... but I don't have a lot of years behind me to adequately judge the potential, and my Crystal Ball battery died, so will just have to wait and see... I did that with my UHR's, and THAT turned out pretty good!

I'm going to hold onto the box I still have... I might want to open it someday image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    <<< if selling set a price and sit.............what's the worst that can happen........??? >>>

The worst that can happen is they continue the downward trend and fall a lot further.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello, Come on you guys are smarter than that!!..........sales started on Oct 27th............besides presales these coins weren't in hand until the 8-10th of Nov........and now your saying they are tanking!!..........simple price adjustment and then upward and onward............Anybody who has dealt in modern issues with limited mintage knows this............and as prices drop watch the big guys get back into the game.......fresh with profits from the first round.........If anyone needs to get out now then I understand but smart money is holding IMO.............if selling set a price and sit.............what's the worst that can happen........??? >>

The worst that can happen is that the price goes down to melt. Then, I'll buy a set.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Well, there has always been the flood right? People have the choice to either sell into a flood, buy that ticket on a sinking ship, or wait it out. Regardless, nothing wrong with anyone taking a profit or not. Lastly, I seem to remember a particular flood with lots of complainers...profits were limited for awhile to maybe $300 or so...After the flood ended, within a few months profits went back to $1,500 on the same item...I remember because I waited, although I didn't bash those that sold into the flood either...It's a choice and of course there are no gurantees in life...image
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From my observations the peak of the market on Ebay was on Thurs. the 17th where sealed 5'ers were bringing between $4250.00 - $4500.00 and single opened sets were also bringing very strong money. Then starting on Fri. morning the 18th prices began to drop and by Sun. night the 20th they had weakened considerably across the board which continued into the following week. >>

What were single opened sets going for on the 17th? Thanks.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Glass half emptyimage.........Like some here I sold 2 boxes that paid for my others..........no money in...........no money lost.........the rest is topping on the ice cream........If the little guys could think like the big guys the big guys wouldn't have much to do but pay the price asked.........IMO only
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seller got a nice price for 1 sealed set $880
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello, Come on you guys are smarter than that!!..........sales started on Oct 27th............besides presales these coins weren't in hand until the 8-10th of Nov........and now your saying they are tanking!!..........simple price adjustment and then upward and onward............Anybody who has dealt in modern issues with limited mintage knows this............and as prices drop watch the big guys get back into the game.......fresh with profits from the first round.........If anyone needs to get out now then I understand but smart money is holding IMO.............if selling set a price and sit.............what's the worst that can happen........??? >>

Dice you have been drinking the high end kool aid since day one...........I can't remember the exact amount but on the 25th giveaway on 12/31 thread you had guessed over 7 grand for a sealed set of 5.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's what happens when people grab all they can (picture the posts of people that got 50 sets, 100 sets, etc) and then want out shortly after and FLOOD the market.

"Greed" may be "good", in some instances, but the over obsession with it by some folks can be sickening. >>

dealers did eat 50-100 sets.. shame regular joes were left out
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The unopened box of 5 sets are dropping approx. @ $150 per week in price. Now selling in the $3500 - $3700 range >>

still a great price instant 2k profit
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    I don't see any slackening of interest for my auctions of open or broken-up sets.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>simple price adjustment and then upward and onward............ >>

Yeah, sure.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I remember a 2006 20th Anniv thread in which the sealed boxes of 10 sets had hit $2,500, then when they later dipped to under 2K...Same type of posts then as now...Oh the doom and gloom, oh there's a flood....Seems to me they later peaked at or around 9K per box of 10...I'm not suggesting anything regarding where these are headed, but I'd say it's a bit early for the gloom and doom, despite the massive interests fueling the current flips...
  • Options

<< <i>I remember a 2006 20th Anniv thread in which the sealed boxes of 10 sets had hit $2,500, then when they later dipped to under 2K...Same type of posts then as now...Oh the doom and gloom, oh there's a flood....Seems to me they later peaked at or around 9K per box of 10...I'm not suggesting anything regarding where these are headed, but I'd say it's a bit early for the gloom and doom, despite the massive interests fueling the current flips... >>

That is true as well

Thing was that, while some folks did get quite a few, they took longer to sell out and there were less of the forum-wanna-be-dealers that came into play, from what I recall.
    Limit was 10, initially, if I recall. Folks got around that, but I don't recall any member who wasn't an actual dealer, saying "Look, I have 200 sets with another 200 coming....come buy from meeeeee!!!" like I have seen with the ATBs and 25th annv sets.

Then, take that and multiply it by people doing the same thing and not on the forum (say, just ebay or some other outlet), and things get hyped much quicked, and flooded much quicker. They have too much $$$$ tied up to sit for long. Tie up $100,000 that you need in a month or 2, and flood the market but get 50% ROI (or any number, just an example). Or, tie up $100,000 you need soon and try to get 150% as you eek things out?

It's the pump and dump on an accelerated pace.

• Options
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    the flood from these may be more sudden, but at only 100k, it can't last long.
  • Options
    Greed cuts through. Greed clarifies.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    Of course, all the CC statements have either hit or are due. It's scramble for bux time, hence the weak hands. Like this was totally unexpected.....not! LOL. The market will decide a couple of months from now after the shakeout. Let's see, two key, low mintage coins from what is probably the most collected set of US coinage, call it a hunch but this will have a good future. Plenty of sets will remain intact diminshing the number of singles available for 1986 to date sets unlike the 95 proof w/30K mintage that consisted of a gold eagle set of 4 (1/10th-1oz), now that was 'bust 'em up city', peddle the gold, get a fair chunk of change back and slab the ASE to make a buck or two on the deal. One doen't see those full sets for sale too often, in fact it has been quite a while.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a flood, more so than the 20th Anniversary ASEs. These are in the hands of the flippers, not collectors yet. $1500-$1600 is a good buying point for the 70 sets.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a plain and simple supply and demand. Prices will drop, settle and perhaps rebound a bit
    in the months to come. Happens on every hot issue that the supply meets the demand. At the
    onset folks think the supply is much too small but in fact it's not.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any guesses on the low and high on a box of five? I'm thinking about $3250 for a low and then a slow climb to $5100 by the summer of 2012.

Jim

Edit - I see I missed the other thread dedicated to this exact question - image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listed a sealed 5 set box on the BST 3 days ago at $3750. No bites. Lowered the price to $3650. NO bites. Found a bid on C.C.E. for $3750. You know the rest of this story. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Yes, the individual sets in sealed boxes seem to be holding steady in the high eight hundreds... I still have 2 more to sell. I'm not sure whether to do it now or wait until after christmas.
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    Hi, I don't think it was the give away thread but I did put price projections higher based upon mintage.......Little did I know at the time the mint quality would be as good or better than previous and the 70 graded coins would score this highimage......I still see so much potential in these sets and the early sales and the now sales hold that to be true........these will NEVER get anywhere near issue price and I still believe that the price potential for sealed sets is still unlimited.........I guess if anyone really has doubts I could buy all you can send for the mint issue price.......heck I think I would go as far as to offer 50 over issue for those sitting on the fenceimageimage.........I might have to re-mortgage the house to pay for all the takers on that offer............but I doubt it..........your all just waiting for the prices to drop and then you will start buying againimage........at least I can admit that...........what's the downside??..........past history tell us if the 06 set is selling for 3-4 times issue then this set should settle at least 4 times issue.............I've been wrong before........But I will be buying when I think the bottom has been reached..........
  • Options

<< <i>From my observations the peak of the market on Ebay was on Thurs. the 17th where sealed 5'ers were bringing between $4250.00 - $4500.00 and single opened sets were also bringing very strong money. Then starting on Fri. morning the 18th prices began to drop and by Sun. night the 20th they had weakened considerably across the board which continued into the following week. >>

Same weekend as Baltimore. The market got flooded during the show and the rest is history. The run up in graded dollars lasted 2 months. I expect this to last 1 more week.

TRUTH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file