Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever get a little surprise in change from your coin dealer?

OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was at my local guys shop and bought a couple of
modern commems and in change I noticed he gave
me a BU 59D nickel and a BU 59D cent as change,
I thought thas was cool.

Also in the past thirty years I've witnessed dealers
poppin in rolls of BU 59 to 64 cents and nickels into
there registers as needed from there own stock
more than once.

Any one else ever get a little surprise from your
dealer?

Steve
Promote the Hobby

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    When I worked at a shop in college, we would give out wheat pennies, early Jeffersons, colorized/plated state quarters, etc.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first local dealer would throw wheaties in the register. I once got a 1909 in change.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CheddyCheddy Posts: 411 ✭✭
    My local shop gives out BU state quarters, Pressie dollars, and two dollar bills. Probably the only businesses who use the dollar coins. image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once as a youngster I was handed an VF-EF 50-D nickel, upon which I promptly asked the dealer what he was giving for circ 50-Ds. "Five bucks" he replied. I handed it back, and he smiled, handing me $5 from the till.

I think that coin has gone down in value since.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get no change from my dealer,
    that is not slabbed.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when I was a kid the dealer, an older guy, liked giving out Buffalo nickels and even IHCs in change. Talk about stoking a fire and hooking me to the hobby.image
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember getting wheat cents mixed in with the change.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must be a lot older than the posters to this thread. When I was a kid / adolescent, there were very few coin dealers that wanted to have anything to do with us in my local area. I can only think of three of them.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was at my local guys shop and bought a couple of
    modern commems and in change I noticed he gave
    me a BU 59D nickel and a BU 59D cent as change,
    I thought thas was cool.

Also in the past thirty years I've witnessed dealers
    poppin in rolls of BU 59 to 64 cents and nickels into
    there registers as needed from there own stock
    more than once.

Any one else ever get a little surprise from your
    dealer?
    >>

Another mint set bites the dust.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid, I received a sharply struck AU 1931-S Lincoln cent in change from my local coin store. I'm not sure if my change was deliberately salted that day or not. I still have the coin.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to deal with a guy that did similar things, plus use $1 silver certificates as change.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Years ago a coin dealer of my acquaintance would give out Buffalo nickels and Indian pennies in change, esp. to kids who were filling the holes in their Whitman albums from his stock.
    He's since gone to that big bourse in the sky.
    One guy I deal with now likes to give out Ikes and $2 bills in change.
  • Options
    Coolest thing I ever got in change from a dealer was a '70s half dollar. I gave it to a nephew.

Sounds like you guys have much friendlier local dealers than I do.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in my early years, an older B&M owner used to throw 1939-1941 Jeffs in the till, P-D-S. We would scour the cases and trays until we could find something that would yield us a nickel in change.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I must be a lot older than the posters to this thread. When I was a kid / adolescent, there were very few coin dealers that wanted to have anything to do with us in my local area. I can only think of three of them. >>

No, you're not old.

The only dealer in my area wants nothing to do with me either (16 year old)
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before my favorite dealer retired, I got $3 in Ike Dollars (a 1974D, a 1977 and a Bi-Centennial) in change and they were all UNC. I put them in the pot for cards when I bowl (you draw a card for every spare or stirke you get and try to make the best poker hand for the pot money each game) and the guys practically fought over them thinking they were cool....no serious coin collectors ever came from it however...
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    There was a guy in Sacramento who would do that; I got a 1919 cent in change that way. This was within the last 10 years or so (and he knew where I worked). Unfortunately, that shop is now closed; I don't know whether he moved or retired.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I was a kid, I received a sharply struck AU 1931-S Lincoln cent in change from my local coin store. I'm not sure if my change was deliberately salted that day or not. I still have the coin. >>

That would have probably been a day's net profit in those days.

I think the biggest way this tends to happen is that heirs often bring collections into
    the coin shop for sale. If a coin fell out of the slot beforehand they just shove it back
    in anywhere. The dealer will buy the collection and then strip all the keys and sale-
    able dates out of it and put the rest in the till. If he didn't notice the '31-S was in the
    wrong slot a customer gets it.

Of course there are many ways highly desirable coins get into circulation because of
    coin dealers and some do end up at the shop as change. Rolls of "junk" do not get
    thoroughly searched. I've seen dealers tell customers to just spend "junk clad" like
    an '83-P quarter roll.

A lot of collectors and dealers like to put nicer coins ibn circulation to attract interest
    in non-collectors but it's very unlikely any dealer is going to hand out a valuable coin
    randomly. It would be easier to believe he specifically picked you to give the '31-S
    but, this too, seems unlikely.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there was a dealer in the next state that used to give bufflo nickels out many years ago. i havent heard of any or many sinse. i sure wish i could go back in time to get a few more
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>My local shop gives out two dollar bills. >>

same here.
    my son likes to spend them and asks if i got any when i have gone.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    I cant recall any cool things back from my dealer in change. outside of dateless buffalos. Mc Donalds on sunday gave me in change a VF 1931 Lincoln. Small reward for the heart attack in the bag but a 31 wheatie is always a nice pocket find.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file