Home U.S. Coin Forum

Believe it or not ? The "catch all" coin thread.

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
Tell a quick coin story and let others decide if they believe it or not. Story teller gets 3 days to prove or disprove. Once determined, it's the next person's turn. Anyone caught cheating, joking, lying or making a mockery of this thread will be banned image !

I'll start :

Lady calls me and says : "I have an old gold coin, it says Blake & Co. It's $20 and also says 1855. It's been in a drawer for years and years".

Believe it or not ? Tell a coin tale.

Included is a simple poll for lurkers and others.

Comments

• I believe it because i have the same coin....its not real gold
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    The story you just refered to is told every single day on ebay. It's like you want to believe it but because of the relative anonaminity of the people behind the keyboard in this day and age, everything you see and read has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe, simply 'cause that's the one that fooled so many people.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tell a quick coin story and let others decide if they believe it or not. Story teller gets 3 days to prove or disprove. Once determined, it's the next person's turn. Anyone caught cheating, joking, lying or making a mockery of this thread will be banned image !

I'll start :

Lady calls me and says : "I have an old gold coin, it says Blake & Co. It's $20 and also says 1855. It's been in a drawer for years and years".

Included is a simple poll for lurkers and others. >>

Don't believe it. There were thousands of replicas made of this extremely rare coin. Plymouth passed these out when they introduce their Gold Duster model.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a coin that old and not made by the us government has very little value
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the story.... do not believe it is a real gold 'coin'... and certainly not government issued. Cheers, RickO
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll believe the story, but not the lady.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I screwed up this poll image
    Do you think I will make it to 25,000 posts ?

In the meantime, I'll get pictures if she comes in. Then post them. She claimed her grandfather passed it down to her father who left it to her mother who gave it to her. She didn't sound like a spring chicken either. A few other things she said (via telephone) prompted this thread. She mentioned "900" and "Sacramento" (iirc).

I finally said : "ma'am, please bring it in and let me look at it" (of course, knowing I could depend on this place to straighten it out & providing she comes in and I get to photograph it image ).

So who else has a "believe it or not" tale ? I voted first in the poll with "I don't believe it".
    Now after seeing the majority votes... I don't believe it even more image
    A fellow called and said he bought an 1877 Indian Head Cent for $.99 at the Goodwill. I told him to bring it in and let me see it. It could be worth thousands of dollars if it's authentic.

Time flies when you're having fun with people in a coin shop.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a woman called the other day and asked if we would do a Pawn on a Breast Pump.

<< <i>a woman called the other day and asked if we would do a Pawn on a Breast Pump. >>

I believe it image
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> A fellow called and said he bought an 1877 Indian Head Cent for $.99 at the Goodwill. I told him to bring it in and let me see it. It could be worth thousands of dollars if it's authentic. >>

I believe it...that it is about 3 inches in diameter.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It belongs in a museum!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe.

I bought a genuine rare Roman coin dated 37 BC for only $100
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an 1883 V Nickel that is gold.

Is it plated?

peacockcoins

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe.

I bought a genuine rare Roman coin dated 37 BC for only $100 >>

Psst...hey buddy, wanna buy a...
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a recent road trip I stopped by a Coin shop owned by a fellow Member on these Boards.

I stayed over 2 hrs and did not get a chance to cherry pick him.............

Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tommy, that's called felon's guilt!!image
  • A coworker who has been collecting coins and should have been smarter than this... He calls me up and says he wants me to look at a money clip that was his fathers. So he brings it in and it has a "gold $10 coin" from the mid-1800s on it. He's reasoning that he doesn't want to pull it off the money clip to weigh it because it's probably more valuable as part of the money clip. But it doesn't even look real. So I pull up pictures on the internet of a real gold $10 coin of the same date. The stars are in different places and everything is wrong. I finally convince him that he should pull it off the money clip. He does and the other side is just flat. Of course it was a cheap jewelry fake and it was obvious in the first 2 seconds I saw it. But it's interesting how the possibility that something is valuable can completely cloud someone's judgement.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Tell a quick coin story and let others decide if they believe it or not. Story teller gets 3 days to prove or disprove. Once determined, it's the next person's turn. Anyone caught cheating, joking, lying or making a mockery of this thread will be banned image !

I'll start :

Included is a simple poll for lurkers and others. >>

Don't believe it. There were thousands of replicas made of this extremely rare coin. Plymouth passed these out when they introduce their Gold Duster model. >>

This.

I remember a case in Michigan 40 years ago where some girl found one of these on her uncle's property and he got all greedy and said he was not going to share the proceeds with her and his brother, the girl's father, sued him and the family got horribly divided and thousands of dollars were spent on legal fees, all over an unmarked replica.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a nice AU Betchler Gold Dollar in foreign poundage! Must admit it almost slipped buy as at first I tossed it into the token box!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I found a nice AU Betchler Gold Dollar in foreign poundage! Must admit it almost slipped buy as at first I tossed it into the token box! >>

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Am not particularly fond of the way this poll voting. image .. is going.

<< <i>On a recent road trip I stopped by a Coin shop owned by a fellow Member on these Boards.

I stayed over 2 hrs and did not get a chance to cherry pick him.............

Enjoy image >>

It was a fabulous time.
  • I was on this coin related board one day and the person who made the thread included an interesting option. That option was that he should be banned with out a qualifier for just the thread or from the board. So this being the case I voted to have him banned so I could see how many did the same thing. image
  • Ok here is what happened: I had an ad on craigslist stating that I had a bunch oh Indian head cents, Buffalo Nickels and other older coins for face value for YNs new to collecting. I explained I was offering them at face value because YNs need to learn the value of the coins they are collecting and this was a good way to do so. I further stated if anyone had basic questions I would be willing to help them with some answers.
    The following day I received an email telling me that I was a horrible person for charging people and kids face value for old coins that had no value to anyone and that I should be ashamed of myself. The msg continued with a question about silver dollars as follows: You said you would answer questions so lets see how smart you are, are silver dollars really made of silver or just called that because they are shinny. ( guess the outcome if you think this is real or call BS on the story)

• << <i>Ok here is what happened: I had an ad on craigslist stating that I had a bunch oh Indian head cents, Buffalo Nickels and other older coins for face value for YNs new to collecting. I explained I was offering them at face value because YNs need to learn the value of the coins they are collecting and this was a good way to do so. I further stated if anyone had basic questions I would be willing to help them with some answers.
    The following day I received an email telling me that I was a horrible person for charging people and kids face value for old coins that had no value to anyone and that I should be ashamed of myself. The msg continued with a question about silver dollars as follows: You said you would answer questions so lets see how smart you are, are silver dollars really made of silver or just called that because they are shinny. ( guess the outcome if you think this is real or call BS on the story) >>

Definitely real. Sounds like something my wife would say. My wife is Chinese and grew up in China. I talked her into going with me to a coin show last January and we stopped at a table where someone was selling a lot of old Chinese currency and coins. She was interested and let him show her a bunch of it. When we left, she commented that the Chinese coins and money aren't any good because they were replaced by the current money when the Communists took over in 1949.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe.

I bought a genuine rare Roman coin dated 37 BC for only $100 >>

Psst...hey buddy, wanna buy a... >>

If you read Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective books in grade school you'd be aware of the Case of the Mysterious Rare Coin

• << <i>

<< <i>Ok here is what happened: I had an ad on craigslist stating that I had a bunch oh Indian head cents, Buffalo Nickels and other older coins for face value for YNs new to collecting. I explained I was offering them at face value because YNs need to learn the value of the coins they are collecting and this was a good way to do so. I further stated if anyone had basic questions I would be willing to help them with some answers.
    The following day I received an email telling me that I was a horrible person for charging people and kids face value for old coins that had no value to anyone and that I should be ashamed of myself. The msg continued with a question about silver dollars as follows: You said you would answer questions so lets see how smart you are, are silver dollars really made of silver or just called that because they are shinny. ( guess the outcome if you think this is real or call BS on the story) >>

Definitely real. Sounds like something my wife would say. My wife is Chinese and grew up in China. I talked her into going with me to a coin show last January and we stopped at a table where someone was selling a lot of old Chinese currency and coins. She was interested and let him show her a bunch of it. When we left, she commented that the Chinese coins and money aren't any good because they were replaced by the current money when the Communists took over in 1949. >>

Your right absolutely true.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file