Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Matte '94 Jefferson - toning

I have several of these that have a light gold tone on the reverse from being in the original set too long. Will PCGS grade them or send them back in a bag or would it be worth the effort? Thanks for your help.
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will happily grade them. They are not damaged, they are simply toned.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    i think for long term holding having it slabbed is a good thing. protection and authentication. i think it would grade just fine if its in original packaging. just my spin. oh yeah... its a really nice looking coin. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one in an old green label PCGS holder that is NOT toned, and have wondered why most of the 94 SMS nickels offered in online auctions have toned reverses. I now know the reason. Similar to several other coins that are commonly found toned, like the 1970-S cents and 1974-S clad proof Ikes.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    the reverse of my 94 SMS Jefferson is about the same color as a copper penny. Still in original packaging.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Most of them in holders are toned like this (or darker) so there won't be a problem with it.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought lots of the 1993/94 Jefferson Coinage & Currency Sets over the past few years since I really like the matte proof nickels. When the set came out, the nickels were all bright white. Now, almost all of my sets show some toning on the nickels (reverse only) which ranges from a light golden color to some with deeper blue/red/purple colors. The packaging seems to tone the reverse of the coins in the set, but leaves the obverse of the coins untoned. I suspect the few examples I've seen toned on both sides were flipped around in the packaging at some point to let the other side bake for a few years.

It has been my experience that PCGS has gotten a bit tougher on the grading of these in recent years. They used to give lots of MS69FS grades on these and a decent number of MS70FS grades. My most recent submission of 50 of the 1994-P SMS nickels, all of which exhibited some degree of toning, got me only 12 that graded MS69FS, about 34 that graded MS68FS and a couple of MS67FS. All of my nickels (even the toned ones) were submitted in 2.5"x2.5" flips and no government packaging. All 50 graded w/o problem and all 50 got the FS designation. I just didn't get as many high grades as I think I would have gotten if I sent them in years ago with less toning.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to say, flip it over to get an even tone. And locating a non-toned example should be everyone's goal.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    I think these and the 1997 Matte nickels are awesome coins, and one of the few products to put away. I know someone who has 200 of each set, and keeps all of his sets that he gets in deals as a part-time dealer.

I probably bought and sold over 1K sets total of these 3-4 years ago. From my experience, it was a lot harder to get 70's on the 1994's than the 1997's.

I also found out that a lot of people wanted white coins. I told them if they wanted white coins they could dip them properly on their own volition, and gladly gave them proper, slow instructions given to be by Brian Silliman at an ANA-Mini Seminar so the coins did not get "dip burn." I found the toning attractive.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    That is what they look like and get graded well. I like the look very much, and love the matte finish. Original completely untoned ones are available. These were removed from Mint packaging immediately, usually to be sent for certification. Others have been dipped. I like, and the only kind I will buy, those that look like the original post.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In looking at a couple hundred 1994-P SMS Jefferson Nickels it seems there are some that look more like a modern satin finish coin, with strong details but an overall dull finish. Other examples are highly lusterous, and have surfaces that almost appear wet. I've noticed that the duller examples are more likely to have a golden tone on the reverse and the highly-lusterous examples are more likely to have the purple/red/blue colors. Of course, it's also possible that the sample I've looked at isn't large enough and that those observations are just a coincidence.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had a few of these, the current one I have in my set PCGS SP67FS (nvm i just sold it) has a bright orange glow to it. Actually sold for a premium because of how bright it was.
  • Options
    Are all of these Full steps,?????... is there anybody out there that has one that is not?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of my 1994 sets have matte nickels that are toning, more strongly over the top and to the left of Montecello, but across the entire reverse. The obverses are still pretty white.

I have one in PCGS plastic that was probably slabbed a long time ago as it's still white front and back.

It must be the packaging that is causing the toning. I'm hoping it's not causing anything worse than that.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen many sets and now after roughly 30 years, most have a golden toning on reverse of nickel. Does anyone have any ideas why this is only this side of the nickel?

I was really surprised when I flipped one open and the obverses of both the dollar and nickel were golden.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file