Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finally put the coil to the soil the other day.

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had to take advantage of the fine weather, and I got out. This was only maybe my fourth outing of the year- I've been pretty dormant.

I felt it the next day, too- every time I take that big ol' Garrett out, I've got "detector elbow" in the tendons of my right arm for two days afterward, and my whole body aches. I'm just too out of shape. *sigh* The Garrett 2500 is a great machine, but not exactly lightweight, nor is it well balanced or ergonomically friendly. The person I got it from sold it for exactly that reason- he couldn't handle using it continuously, and I'm beginning to see what he meant.

ANYWAY, I did not get silvered like I hoped, so there's only a bit more than a month left in the year for me to redeem myself and prevent 2011 from being a silverless year. I did, however, find a section of sidewalk strip I hadn't hunted before, and I might have to go back there.

The noteworthy finds were modest, but fun. First was one of those 1950s Shell Oil "presidential series" medals. I thought it was a dark-toned clad quarter at first. It was Warren G. Harding. I think this is probably the fifth or sixth of these medals I have found, and so far no duplicates. So you might say I'm building a set of them "from the ground up"... quite literally! The other find was a 1944 Wheatie. The soil was loose and sandy so the Wheat cent was about well preserved enough that it almost looked like it had come out of a circ roll in a coin shop, rather than the ground. There were a couple of clad quarters, too. Whenever I'm finding multiple quarters (and the token/medal was about quarter sized, too), then I know I'm on virgin or semi-virgin soil. I doubt a detector had been swung over that particular strip of grass before.

I might have to go back there soon. It's in Old Town but in the "newer", post-Victorian part. Most of the houses are from the 1940s and 1950s. It's only a couple of blocks from the WW2 shipyards, though, which employed hundreds, if not thousands, of people- and they all used to walk up the street there when their shifts were over. Our town's population tripled, if not quadrupled, during WW2, and there were more people here then than there are now, even though this remains an active port city.

I had one vision when I went out. I'd set my sights on a relatively obtainable prize. I wanted to dig another Mercury dime, plain and simple. It's been a little while. I'd have preferred to dig a pre-1940 Merc, but beyond that, I wasn't gonna be too picky in my wishing. This is why I went to a "newer" neighborhood I had paid less attention to in the past. There's silver along those sidewalks.

I'll go back and get it. Hopefully before the end of the year I'll have another Merc in the bag. Another Walker would be terrific.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    LordM,

As always, good to hear your about your detecting exploits! Hope you get a chance to hit that site/area again soon, and update us...

-Bjorn
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck LordM....been a slow year for you, but there is silver lurking in the dirt.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let us know how you make out with the side walk. i hit one here a few years ago and did ok with i. Happy hunting
  • Options
    hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a potentially fruitful spot for sure. Please keep us posted if you get back to it. Maybe more than one Merc in your future!
  • Options
    Still have that 2500 eh? I dont miss it one bit Rob. Havent hit a lick in a long time and need to get back into the hobby soon. I miss it a lot.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage