Home Metal Detecting
Options

A... ah, dunno what this is... (From the Isle of Man)

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not sure what this is! I pulled it out of the ground at Doarlish Cashen, Isle of Man last week. I wasn't able to take it home with me 'cause it was kind of huge. It had a hole in the bottom to mount it to a staff or pole. It was a fun trip but I didn't bring a metal detector, just a Pistol Probe pinpointer. I'd love to go back to the UK and do real metal detecting!

Some sort of a thing.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it could have been the top of a pole to bear the standard of some important land baron .... they all had flags that displayed their 'family' crest etc..... just a guess... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    It's pretty obvious what it is... here is a hint...

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll agree with PPC, alien spearhead image
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Seriously, it could be the tip of an OX pulled plow.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All good guesses! (Other than maybe the guitar) image
    I can't even describe the metal detecting frustration I felt being somewhere so different and cool. I'd felt it before when I saw a sidewalk ripped up in town and didn't have my detector with me, but this was like x 100. On a brighter note for anyone interested, traveling to the UK off tourist season is fairly cheap!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll buy the plow theory... I guess.

(But I've gotta ROFL @ the guitar theory.) image

What a fun trip it must have been.

I can sympathize with your frustration, though- I'd have been frothing at the mouth to go detecting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.