Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Posting Scans from my Card Collection (Updated Regularly)

Hey guys - Here are some of my favorite cards from my collection that I felt like sharing for viewing.
I'm going to continue scanning my favorites and posting them up every day or other day.
Feel free to comment or ask questions. Keep checking back for new card updates and things I pick up from Card Shows or off Ebay.
Let me know if you think I got a good deal or if I overpaid or I got it for just the right price.

Marc

The Cal Ripken Traded I got at a show about a month ago for $75 (It's a card Ive always wanted)

The Roger Clemens Fleer Update I got on eBay for $85 (Can you believe this card reached $450 back in 93!

The Rickey Henderson Rookie I got from my Dealer for $40 (Highest Ive seen this was about $185 after beating all-time base stealing record back around '91)

I just picked up this A-Rod for $50. I might of overpaid by possibly about $5-10 but worth it since I got to see it first in person as oppose to eBay and being surprised later.

Comments

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards...

The way you post pics is to upload them to Photobucket and then copy and paste the IMG code to your post. If you do a search you will find exact instructions if you need more detail.

Good Luck!

Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff - Thanks so much! That was simple enough. You rock.
  • Options
    No worries...I dont know much about modern stuff so cant help you with value but sure others here will chime in. Next time you scan your pics do it with the scanner lid up so you get a black background. That way you can see the corners and edges much better. If your taking the pic with a camera put the card against a dark background.

Jeff
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>No worries...I dont know much about modern stuff so cant help you with value but sure others here will chime in. Next time you scan your pics do it with the scanner lid up so you get a black background. That way you can see the corners and edges much better. If your taking the pic with a camera put the card against a dark background. Jeff >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Marc

Ya picked up some nice cards.

I bought an 82TT set about 20 yrs ago - and probably paid more than it's worth today - plus - dealers cherry pick the good ones out and leave ya with Exmt copies.

I don't collect cards very much anymore - so I don't follow values.

My take - when ya buy raw - either it's a guy who doesn't grade - and ya might get a nice buy - or if ya look really close - his Nmmt card is probably really Exmt - overgraded - and not worth the PSA grading fee? Now I sound like a real cynic here!

Suggestion? Conservatively grade the Ripken - e.g. - then look up the past sales of the card on ebay - that'll give ya a good idea of how ya did?

Good choice on the cards.
    Mike
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to more scans.

I will have a 54 Aaron one day.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Great cards for sure. i personally collect graded cards for peace of mind and to satisfy my OCD

i recommend you send them in for grading when you get a chance. great way to learn a whole new level about cards.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Great advice Jeff about making the background black. Ill have to ask my gf how to do that. I'm pretty basic when it comes to just scanning and croping the photos. That's as far as I go. lol

About getting graded cards - I personally don't like to buy them graded just for the fact that they cost more. I feel that my eye is trained pretty good to have an idea of what a card might come back around so Id rather spend less for a non graded and...

2 - I don't plan on selling my cards so there's no need to (again). My collection is simply out of pure nostalgic enjoyment (although it proves that it can get quite expensive but I'm not telling you guys anything you already don't know either. The cards I'm scanning are just from my collection. Ill post about 4 more today when I get home from work.

I do have 2 cards that are graded and that because I paid some real money and there's no way I would of bought them raw. Stick around and keep coming bcak because Ill save the best from those 2 graded for last.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    All you have to do to make the background dark is to leave the lid of the scanner open while scanning. And the darker the area in the room near the scanner will make it darker. Bright lights near the scanner would result in more of a gray background.

Nice cards and welcome to the forum

• Options
    Great cards Foo image
  • Options

<< <i>About getting graded cards - I personally don't like to buy them graded just for the fact that they cost more. I feel that my eye is trained pretty good to have an idea of what a card might come back around so Id rather spend less for a non graded and...

2 - I don't plan on selling my cards so there's no need to (again). My collection is simply out of pure nostalgic enjoyment (although it proves that it can get quite expensive but I'm not telling you guys anything you already don't know either. The cards I'm scanning are just from my collection. Ill post about 4 more today when I get home from work. >>

I hear what youre saying. but its impossible for us to let you know if you "got a good deal" for the Ripken Traded for example.... you said you paid $75 for it. for a PSA 9 $75 is a great price, for a PSA 5? not so much thats all im saying.

As long as you're happy with what you collect, that is all that matters in the end really.
  • Options
    Thanks Zep! - Couldn't have explained it any easier.
    Nightcrawler - A+++ on creativeness. That was just too funny. Never heard that one associated with my name before on any other forums. Absolutely Brilliant!

Okay, so I scanned a few more and this time, made the borders black so you guys can see the corners better. As I continue scanning and posting, the reason why I keep them in a penny sleeve is because I'm not gonna take the card out just to make a 1% difference on scanning clarity. Its just not worth me risking to put the card back in and then possibly catching a corner. That would ruin my night. Just wanted to bring that up because I read recently on this site that someone wouldn't even want to buy from someone on ebay if they scanned in a penny sleeve because they might be hiding something - maybe - but I think the reason I just explained might be why most wont take it out either. Nothing to hide here because I'm not even planning on ever selling my cards - unless I come across better looking doubles which I have here and there.

Enjoy image
    More scans coming soon.

So the Dealer wanted $30. I tried to low ball for $20. Sold for $25 - I'm Satisfied.

I was kinda hesitant to buy this one at first because its notorious for being off center but this was the best I could find at a show. Picked it up for $30. This is a card that I would need to see in person first as oppose to online.

Absolutely my favorite card I own. Roger Maris. Great player because what he did for baseball but he faded out to early in his career and he didn't produce hall of fame numbers. What a shame. This card imo would come back with a psa 9. I would scan the back to show you how nice the corners and sides are but I'm just too lazy. (Long day at work)

Mariano Riveras true rookie card. This card I pulled from a 92 bowman wax box. I actually bought 2 boxes - each for $125 for those wondering. Only 1 MO came in each box. I wouldn't recommend buying a wax box. Just not worth it. In my first box I pulled out 1 Mike Piazza and the second none! Not even 1 Nolan Ryan, Carlos Delgados or even Pedro Martinez out of 72 packs! How is that even possible??

• Options
    Nice cards image
  • Options
    1982 Topps Cal Ripken - Picked up off eBay for $20 even. Ive seen it as low as $15 and I might pick one up If i see one in better condition. This ones okay.

The most important card of the 1980's. I pulled this one out of a pack myself. This is a must for any collector.

The card that started the whole rookie craze I think. Who didn't want this card in the 80's. Donnie Baseballs more desirable card.

This card peaked as much as $100 in becketts. Today its only $30 and it just went up from $25 about 2 months ago. I still like his Bowman 92 better though.

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Can you post a bigger scan of the Maris? Looks trimmed on the left side. If it is, hopefully you can return it.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    At first I had no idea what you were talking about - I thought you were referring to the slight off centering but looking at the scan, now I see. The card doesn't look like that. My scanner isn't the greatest but all the sides of the card are even. If I didn't own the card and saw what you saw, I would be thinking the same thing actually but I am quite careful inspecting new cards before I purchase. Even the slightest ding or a soft corner would make me pass on a card - im a little more forgivable with off centering depending on the year of the card.
  • Options
    i like the ozzie and the maris, good stuff.
  • Options
    I consider ANY Jeter rookie a good investment. I haven t picked up the SP one yet but eventually I will.

The TRUE Homerun Kings last card. Pretty cool to have all his stats listed on the back. This ones from 76

I got this Ripken off eBay after purchasing a wax box and NO RIPKEN!! Anyways, I got this for $16 and when this card arrived (11 mail days later), I noticed this wasn't the same card pictured. This one was off center. I demanded $7 back from my $16 because he swapped the card and after he said no (although he would give full refund, I felt he needed to be taught a lesson for pulling that garbage so I left negative feedback. I honestly didn't want to deal with this dishonest eBayer longer than I had to. All in all I he refunded my $7 in order for me to retract... and that's how you get the sellers attention.

Cant believe how much this guys put on weight. I recently saw a commercial during the World Series and I couldn't believe it. Reminded me of the late great Kirby. All in all - Great player and key card from the 83 set (which I think was the best topps 80's set personally)

• Options
    Its weird how some cards become there "True" rookie cards. Example - Barry Bonds 1987 fleer is the one everyone wanted even though he had the donruss and topps issued that same year. 1986 topps traded even beat most to the punch. How does that happen? Why was it that topps became the most desired card for Ryno and not the fleer or donruss cards? Bueller?...Bueller...

This card I like better than the 85 Donruss version and I think a majority of collectors out there would agree. Maybe because most couldn't afford his fleer update from the previous year so they would turn to this one instead? Possibly.

One of my favorites in the 80's. This guy was on his way to the hall of fame up until maybe the early 90's. He seemed to just ran out of gas. Whats even more unfortunate is that even though he stayed with the Yankees his whole career (14 years), they never won a world series until the year after he retired. Talk about being screwed! Someone, get this man a ring.

I'm sure most or even all recall how this card went from about $30 to $250 within a matter of about 5 months or so during his chase for the Maris record back in 98. Who didn't want this card? Well if you still don't own it, now you can. Its only $20 today and I'm sure you can pick it up for $12 and under at any card show and even eBay.

• Options
    Nice work on figuring out the scans...now you can really see those beauties. Keep em coming.

Jeff
  • Options
    *Thanks Jeff - It only took me like 3 days to fully figure it out image

This Roger Clemens I got for $12. It was one of the 1st cards I purchased when I restarted collecting which was about 4 months ago. I wanted to get all my 80's hero's out of the way. I'm still missing a few though like that Kirby Puckett 84 Fleer Update. (Sorry about those white spots on some of the cards pictures but I assure its the scanner - not my cards)

I originally stopped collecting cards in about 93'94. The baseball strike kind of ruined it for me and second - I discovered girls. lol. However, this card was one that I really wanted but could never afford - until about 2 months ago when I purchased a wax box of 92 bowman on eBay it finally pulled it out. Only 1 however. I always loved this photo of Mike Piazza.

This one I got about 2 months ago as well. My card dealer got it for me for $10 bucks. I remember when Darryl was the man. Today unfortunately is personal life has overshadowed his playing career. This card use to be at over $100. I'm sure some of you still remember that.

Although I wish he stayed with Boston his whole career, he at least did get a ring with the Yanks. This is another card from the awesome 83 set. Probably this one and his 83 Fleer are my favorite Boggs cards but this one I have to say outshines the Fleer. Fleer was still learning how to cut cards properly back then. Although not a must for card collectors, I would still recommend picking this one up. You can probably get it for $5 - and its a hall of famer too!

More cards too come...

• Options
    1983 Tony Gwynn Donruss Rookie. I still like the Topps version better.

1990 Frank Thomas Leaf Rookie - This card use to be the biggest card the first half of the 90's standing tall at about $85. Now $12. What a shame considering this guy who has over 500 hundred career homeruns is nothing more than a common card after his rookie year.

Chipper Jones - Bowman 1992. I have 3 of these and I am keeping them all because hes about 2nd in line to get 3000 hits and once he does, as long as he stays healthy, he should be a shoe in for the hall of fame. The fact that hes been with Atlanta his whole career up to this point doesn't hurt either.

Ryan Sandburg 83 Donruss. I always felt that Ryno retired too early. He was one of those classy players like Ripken. No drama off the field. He came to work and played hard every time and did things the right way. Funny thing is that Ryno didn't start becoming popular with collectors till the late 80's early 90's.

Out of all my cards - and I mean every single one - this one and the 1986 Canseco traded are absolutely my favorite. Ive been a huge Canseco fan since I was like 8 years old. I got to even meet him when I was 9. The man was simply my Mickey Mantle. Unfortunately I have a different opinion of him now but as far as his days with the A's before he got bounced around to team after team including the A's again and then bounced around a little more - The man was God to me. I never even owned this card as a kid and now that its down to $10, I'm REALLY glad I didn't. This has to be probably the most important card of the 80's aside from Juniors 89 Upperdeck. No card caused a frenzy with collectors like this one did. Not even the 84 Donruss Mattingly and that was one hot item too.

• Options
    Great stuff so far! i love owning these in PSA 9 form, so underloved imo!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    my wife purchased the 83tt strawberry at it's pinnacle ($100) before grading was born. what a great wife and present.

since it's value has skyrocketed...she vows now to never purchase a card for me again. image

nice scans.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    *It would be nice to have them in PSA 9's but they can get costly.

*Your wife sounds awesome. Thats sooo cool that she would get you that. How long ago was it and did you ask for it or did she just happen to surprise you one day?

This is the True Greg Maddux rookie imo. Even though Fleer Update came out with one the same year, this is the one that I always wanted, and now I have 2 image

I remember back in like 1991 when I collected baseball cards just to find Jose Canseco. I didn't know anyone else. Than one day I learned of Ken Griffey Jr from a beckett and I searched all my fleer cards looking for this and sure enough I had 2. This card was actually the same price as it was in 1991 - $10. Its gone up to $25 over the years but in todays Beckett, its back to $10. Funny how that happens. Anywh0, I remember being the happiest kid when I found 2 of them in my collection. Those 2 cards are long gone now but I do own 2 again today. hmm weird...

WAS the all-time saves leader until some guy name Mariano Rivera stepped it.

I didn't set out to look for this card originally but it came in the 92 Fleer update set that I purchased along with the Jell Kent Rookie because I wanted the Mike Piazza Fleer Update. Only way I was gonna find one in a 9 or 10 that I would be happy with.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff! Loving the variety. Do you collect any other sports or just baseball?
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I really like this thread.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Thanks 80's collector. Seems like this thread is for you with that name.

Hallco - I only collect baseball. I tried the whole basketball and football cards and even comics at 1 time when I was younger but it never appealed to me such as baseball did. I stopped buying stuff around the 94 strike. Then I tried getting back in like in 97 but I was out of the hobby for too long and none of my friends didn't collect anymore so collecting by myself was boring. I'm glad I have the internet and get to keep in touch with other collectors such as yourself who have a passion as much or/and even more than I do.

More card scans coming shortly...
  • Options
    Keep 'em coming!

btw, you might be pleasantly surprised how cheap the PSA 9s of these cards go for.

theres a PSA 9 Boggs Fleer RC for $8 on ebay at the moment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-FLEER-179-WADE-BOGGS-RC-PSA-9-B1111-/110781271623?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item19cb140e47#ht_1323wt_1118
  • Options
    *That is extremely affordable. The thing is that if I started that collection - getting something like a roberto Clemente in a 9 or the Ripken rookie, that's where its gonna hurt my pocket. I honestly don't mind not getting graded cards because I dont ever plan on selling mine anyways. I understand if someone wants to get it graded because they wanna sell or if that's just there thing. I do/would choose psa over beckett though.

This man had so much hype around him even before a card of his came out but Topps traded beat everyone to the punch in '83. This was one of the first Darryl cards that buyers were pulling out of packs. This card along with the Joe Carter and Don Mattingly were the leading key cards in that set at one point.

Canseco's Fleer rookie card. This never picked up the hype that the Donruss version maintained. Maybe because it had Eric Plunk on it? Who still remembers that guy? I actually do. And whats up with Canseco's little mustache? Maybe he meant to take growth hormone pills but instead thought that steroids might help him grow it out better. hehe

When Mcgwires 85 Tops rookie soared to new heights and went well beyond your average collectors reach, many then instead turned to this card. It went up to $30 during that summer of '98. Now its very affordable at $8 and is the 3rd key card in this set behind Barry Bonds and Greg Maddux. Kind of hard to maintain with these black borders.

Speaking of the devil *cough cough* This is one of the first Bonds cards that most people got. Highly affordable. Id say $4 is the going rate for this card. It really didn't get too much notice until bonds started going towards the all-time hr record. A record that I cant wait till someone with more credibility breaks it - and it will be broken. Right now I think AROD really has a shot even though he's admitted and even tested positive for steroids in about 2003. Ill still take Arod OR ANYONE for that matter of Bonds.

What a nice looking Griffey cards. I bought this for $3. You can get it as low as $2 even. I recently purchased a wax box of 89 Donruss to try and get one in gem mint condition. Out of 36 wax packs, I didn't even get 1! I would of been super upset but it only cost me $6. Then a week later I got another box for the same price and I pulled out 3 Griffeys. Go figure. That made up for the 1st one at least. Now I have 4 in total. None in gem mint but this is as pack fresh as they come. I think I could live with that. lol

• Options
    Another Jr Rookie from the 1989 Topps traded series. BV is only $8. Can be picked up for half or even $3

Even though Manny Ramirez had cards in various 1992 sets, this one is considered his True rookie. This card along with the Foil Frank Thomas and the Mike Piazza were the key cards for years after this set came up. This card had dropped to a very affordable price tag of $8 also.

This ones also from the same set. Not as sought out as the above mentioned but none the less it is also his rookie.

Heres another player with over 600 career home runs and yet he isn't as popular as the other players with those kinds of number. He's still active but hes been traded a quite a number of times within the last few years and when you see that happening, its not good. I feel the end may be near.

And the last Griffey Rookie that I have - I think I pretty much covered the worthy ones although I do know that Donruss has one in there "Rookies" set. This card nobody had when I was a kid. Maybe because nobody cared to much for the pink and green colors. Regardless its still his rookie and Ill proudly display it in my collection.

Bo Knows *insert anything here* - I'm sure you've all heard that before. Bo was the man but I personally feel that his baseball card was cut short by him playing football. Being a running back, youre defintely going to take a bunch of hits and your eventually gonna ware yourself out. At least Deon Sanders was a cornerback so he didnt put himself in harms way nearly as often which might have been the reason Deon Sanders was around longer than Bo.

• Options

<< <i>I got this Ripken off eBay after purchasing a wax box and NO RIPKEN!! Anyways, I got this for $16 and when this card arrived (11 mail days later), I noticed this wasn't the same card pictured. This one was off center. I demanded $7 back from my $16 because he swapped the card and after he said no (although he would give full refund, I felt he needed to be taught a lesson for pulling that garbage so I left negative feedback. I honestly didn't want to deal with this dishonest eBayer longer than I had to. All in all I he refunded my $7 in order for me to retract... and that's how you get the sellers attention. >>

That's also how you get kicked off Ebay. Be careful with feedback extortion in the future. If he offered the full refund, you should have taken it.
  • Options
    fyi....Thome's RC is in 1991 Bowman
  • Options
    Hey Brian - it wasn't extortion. The way you made it out was like if I bought a box and since I didnt pull a Ripken, that now I was demanding one. Let me be a little more clear so its not perceived like that. The wax box I purchased wasn't from the same seller. I did my business with him, left him his good feedback. Sometimes you get a bad box, I understand that. Now the Ripken that I bought AND that was switched on me from what the picture showed (and it wasn't a stock photo either) was purchased about 3 weeks latter FROM A DIFFERENT SELLER - not from the wax box guy. After getting the card and seeing it was completely different - I gave him an option - partial refund or negative feedback. He should of just gotten the negative feedback. Please understand that I already waited 11 mail days for the card to arrive. 11! Thats waaay too long. I didn't want to deal with this person any longer than I would have to. My feedback is 100% excellent so that speaks for what type of eBayer I am. Sorry if I have expectations. I left my negative feedback. He was trying to pay me off to keep quiet is the way I saw it. He switched the card! Could of been you that bought from that person next. Thats a big no-no.

As far as Thome's rookie, I know. I never mentioned this was his rookie. Remember, these are cards in my collection - do I have lots of rookies, sure. But not all - just the cards I happen to pick up along the way.

• Options
    Bo Jacksons other Donruss Rookie form the 1987 set.

Edgar Martinez's only card worth any real value $5 - and it could be picked up for about $2

John Smoltz Rookie from the 89 Upperdeck.

And 1 more from that same Upperdeck set - Big Mac. This is another one that I never had as a kid. This card was pictured I remember on the box of the complete set and man was this card smokin'. Today photos like this might appear genetic but back then this was new. At least he didn't go the Canseco route and pose with the whole bat over the shoulder thing.

If I could make a poster of any card to and put on a wall, It would probably be this one. This was an awesome card to have in the 80's - it was probably the cheapest Canseco to own as well but for me, being an 8 year old kid at the time, I didnt know how to get this card because it wasnt included in the packs. I remember waiting in a huge line to meet him back in 1989 and I had my Topps Canseco card (bat over the shoulder again lol) and this older kid - maybe like 16 had this one with him to get signed and I remember wanting it so bad. I didn't get it till about 2 years later but once I did, I treated that card like it was gold. I guess me being from Miami and Cuban - so was Jose Canseco so i would think how cool that this guy if from the same place I'm form and hes dominating in the world of baseball right now.

• Options

<< <i>After getting the card and seeing it was completely different - I gave him an option - partial refund or negative feedback. He should of just gotten the negative feedback. Please understand that I already waited 11 mail days for the card to arrive. 11! Thats waaay too long. I didn't want to deal with this person any longer than I would have to. My feedback is 100% excellent so that speaks for what type of eBayer I am. Sorry if I have expectations. I left my negative feedback. He was trying to pay me off to keep quiet is the way I saw it. He switched the card! Could of been you that bought from that person next. Thats a big no-no. >>

Like I said, that's feedback extortion. All he had to do is forward that email to Ebay and you would be the one trying to defend yourself. The proper way to handle it is to open up a case with Ebay and explain what happened. Not saying you're dishonest, but a seller could easily represent you as a scam artist.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I have noticed is you are confusing worth and purchase price. If a card sell for $2 it is worth $2 and not $5.

• Options
    Hey Brian - like I said, he wanted to pay in return to retract my feedback so it doesn't look negative on him. He deserved it regardless but since he owned up to it and made things right, I retracted. I couldn't possibly expect you to understand because this wasn't you that it happened to. I don't have over 100 feedback but I do have 100% positive which speaks for itself and tells you what type of person you would be dealing with . Cant say the same for the seller. He had so much negative I'm surprised eBay hasn't shut his account down yet. If you want to still talk about this, pm me. Otherwise, lets move forward from this. Id like to keep this forum for its original purpose. To discuss cards.

Hi Dpeck. Thanks for your observation but there's no confusion on this end. I think Ive done a pretty good job and listing BV price and what a collector such as ourselves can and should be able to pick it up for.

Moving on...

Greg Maddux rookie however this one comes from the Traded set. I still prefer his Donruss over this one although I do like Greg Maddux in those Cubs uniforms. Go Cubbies!

And the 2nd most valuable card from that same set. I think the highest this one peaked at was at $15. Today its listed for about $5 but you should be able to pick it up for about $2-3. Maybe even lower. I enjoy this card because it reminds of the Oakland A's when they were the baddest team around. Also Mcgwire hit 49 homers this year which was a record for a rookie. I don't think he was on the juice neither.

Everytime I think of this guy, The first thing I DONT think of is his 500+ homers or his 3000+ hits but of him pointing his finger at Congress saying he did not use steroids. This guy should of been an actor because I even believed him ...that is for about 2 weeks until he did test positive. Shame on you Rafael.

Heres another Canseco rookie from the 86 Donruss Rookie set. The key card in that one is Barry Bonds but Canseco was and still is the key card of the actual set. This one failed to produce the popularity that the other one had. Maybe because its not an attractive picture. They could of at least picked a better shot for him.

• Options

<< <i>Hey Brian - like I said, he wanted to pay in return to retract my feedback so it doesn't look negative on him. He deserved it regardless but since he owned up to it and made things right, I retracted. I couldn't possibly expect you to understand because this wasn't you that it happened to. >>

It does not have to happen to me to know what feedback extortion is.
  • Options
    Well maybe next time you'll be the lucky one who gets a swapped and off centered card that you didn't deserve.
  • Options

<< <i>Well maybe next time you'll be the lucky one who gets a swapped and off centered card that you didn't deserve. >>

Perhaps next time you'll be a seller and have a scam artist buyer PM you and threaten a negative feedback mark unless you send them a "partial refund", then you'll understand. Somebody did this to me a couple of weeks ago. I told them to go pound sand and sent a copy of the message to Ebay. Haven't heard back from the clown since then.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't wish to derail this thread but...

<< <i>After getting the card and seeing it was completely different - I gave him an option - partial refund or negative feedback. He should of just gotten the negative feedback. >>

This is pretty much the definition of feedback extortion. "Give me some money or I'll neg you" - actually, that's not "pretty much" the definition; that IS the definition.

<< <i>I don't have over 100 feedback but I do have 100% positive which speaks for itself and tells you what type of person you would be dealing with . >>

Since buyers can't get negative feedback, having a 100% positive rating honestly means very little on Ebay anymore.

I understand you weren't being dishonest, that you weren't trying to rip the guy off or anything, but you are very lucky the seller didn't report you to Ebay - as he would have had every right to do.

Tabe
  • Options
    So now were routine for the guy who swaps cards I see... and send em out over a week after purchase.

He probably does this thing quite a bit and most people either don't notice or don't report.

Seems like he didn't get the selling price he wanted for the card so he probably sent another copy. 2 wrongs don't make a right but I didn't feel like that at the time. I do see your points too but I am an honest person and I expect quality and respect when doing transactions with other members. Don't forget, this didn't start with me so to come here and simply attack me isn't fair either. I haven't heard ANY of you say anything negative about this seller. As previously stated, it began with him.

Sure, jump on the bandwagon and continue saying how I'm the bad guy. THAT seller was a clown.
  • Options

<< <i>So now were routine for the guy who swaps cards I see... and send em out over a week after purchase.

He probably does this thing quite a bit and most people either don't notice or don't report.

Seems like he didn't get the selling price he wanted for the card so he probably sent another copy. 2 wrongs don't make a right but I didn't feel like that at the time. I do see your points too but I am an honest person and I expect quality and respect when doing transactions with other members. Don't forget, this didn't start with me so to come here and simply attack me isn't fair either. I haven't heard ANY of you say anything negative about this seller. As previously stated, it began with him.

Sure, jump on the bandwagon and continue saying how I'm the bad guy. THAT seller was a clown. >>

i dont think they are attacking you. i think they are just telling you that what you did was wrong. as you mentioned, two wrongs don't make a right, and when he did the initial wrong (sending the wrong card) your "move" would be considered by most as an additional "wrong", and is also against the eBay rules (which was pointed out).

The "right" thing to do would have been to return the card, gotten your money back, and then purchase the card from another seller.

this is one of many reasons to buy cards already graded, as the "well, this isnt the card in the listing" argument is easily won by the buyer when judged by eBay when fighting in the court of eBay law.
  • Options
    Foo - eBay transactions are almost a third-rail topic. Stick to scanning and comments on your cards and this will continue to be a terrific thread. Great collection. - Kevin
  • Options
    I have this thing that any card that I own that's BV is $5 or more, Ill place it in a penny sleeve and then in a top loader and theyll get placed in a shoebox. Well this Nolan Ryan is $4 but I couldn't resist. This card is just to cool to keep in a binder that I'll rarely look at. Upperdeck broke new ground back in 1989 with its tamper proof packages and there holograms in the backs of the cards and seeing cards like this was a first. Sure, Sportflix tried it back in 1986 but it failed. Miserably too. I gotta give credit to Upperdeck for trying out new things. They single handedly changed the card market and a year later even came out with the First Autograph insert mania starting with Reggie Jackson.

And then there's this one from the high numbers series. Not as cool but one of the first to feature Nolan in his Rangers uniform - and throwing a football.

Derek Jeters rookie from the 93 Pinnacle - I like this one better than all of his other rookies. He looks incredibly young. Black boarders make this one look really cool but it is hard to find in perfect condition because of those same boarders. This one I pulled out of a pack that same year and when I started looking at my cards again a few months back, I thought Oh nice!

Rynos 83 Fleer. This is one of 3 key cards in the set, actually 4 because it also features Ripkens 2nd year as well. This set is not nearly as in demand as the Topps or the Donruss sets but none the less, lots of great players that year.

How many of you guys remember this card. This was THE card to have in 92 and 93 - well actually 2nd to his Leaf rookie. I remember wanting this card so badly but at about $3-6 a pack, no thanks. That was AND still is a lot of money for a pack of cards - and now, packs are about that amount and more for just about 6-8 cards. Definitely not a market for the kids anymore and that kinda makes me sad. These days I mostly purchase single cards. Sure Ill pay more but I also might spend more trying to find the key cards and I dont want to go through packs and packs because nothing is really guaranteed and it could be even more costly.

More to come...

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    You are correct the 93 Pinnacle Jeter is a tough card because of the black borders. I have subbed a couple and only got one PSA 10 back. Unfortunately I have to disagree with you on it being his best rookie card. Personally I think the pinnacle card is ugly as sin. There is a reason the SP is the top dollar rookie for him. It is the best looking card and it truly is the toughest to find in mint or better condition because of the foil. Corners on the SP is the problem with them. It is very very very hard to find one without a corner problem. I have been searching for a perfect *raw* copy for over 15 years and still haven't found one. I do have a PSA 9 that has perfect corners. Not sure why my PSA 9 isn't a PSA 10. I haven't sent it in for a review although I do plan on sending it in for review one day. Here is a scan of my PSA 9

GL with your collection.
  • Options
    That is definitely a beauty. Not sure why its not a gem. Ill have that card someday but like you, I'm pretty picky with corners/overall condition as well. I don't buy graded however. Something like that was cost a little small fortune and the prices for a 10 - forget it. lol Thanks for sharing. Pinnacle however is still my favorite out of all the designs.
  • Options
    Thanks for taking the time and sharing your favorite cards. It's been fun seeing the veterans the way they looked on their earlier cards!