Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary Sets Set Market on Fire

The impact of these 25th Anniversary sets is amazing to me. In a very short amount of time, the US Mint has produced a rare situation where the product sold out incredibly fast, and has resulted in some major impacts.

1. The Mint made a fair amount of money selling these sets. They win.

2. People who obtained the sets, at least so far, are making a big profit on them in short order. They win.

3. PCGS and other third-party graders get a lot of submissions, generating income for them. They win.

4. Coin dealers, Home Shopping Network, eBay, etc make money selling them. They win.

5. Coin collecting gets additional attention and more publicity, perhaps more people become collectors. We all win.

Really a tremendous ripple effect that has a lot of winners.

Too bad this kind of think can't happen more often and really stimulate our economy in larger form and in a sustained manner.
Dr. Pete

Comments

• Options
    I didn't buy any, I didn't win.image

Edited to add my sad face.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Good post, along those lines I was wondering if the ripple effect will ever kick start the dormant 95-W.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the 95-W is so high priced that many collectors still have that out of mind.

We could see some other prices so up however.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget these

I paid the following on 3 sets sold:

eBay $189.67
    Post Office $100.39
    Paypal $78. 48

Joe
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

6. The USPS wins because the fullfillment center used the same large box to ship every order, regardless of quantity ordered.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    The sets were shipped via UPS, not USPS. They charge by weight, not by the size of the box.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    You might want to check back on this in a year. It is quite possible that most of the
    retail purchasers of this set will not be looking at a "win."
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    If they start to milk spot, then the grading companies lose in the end as well. I will never collect another Modern ASE of any type
  • Options

<< <i>The sets were shipped via UPS, not USPS. They charge by weight, not by the size of the box. >>

If you had a PO box for a shipping address, then the sets were shipped via USPS. Everyone else though did receive theirs via UPS.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>The sets were shipped via UPS, not USPS. They charge by weight, not by the size of the box. >>

That is correct. But 99% of these sets flipped or submitted for grading will be shipped by USPS, many in oversize boxes.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You might want to check back on this in a year. It is quite possible that most of the
    retail purchasers of this set will not be looking at a "win." >>

You'd be amazed how many "collectors," mostly classic, made the same comment when the 20th Anniv. Sets came out with 2 1/2 times the volume. The raw sets are still selling for 3 x the issue price. Tripple your $$$ in 5 years? How many classic coin collectors can say that.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

That is correct. But 99% of these sets flipped or submitted for grading will be shipped by USPS, many in oversize boxes. >>

I believe you hit the nail on the head...UPS & USPS also profited. I for one, mailed 2 seperate orders to PCGS via USPS
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't buy any, I didn't win.image

Edited to add my sad face. >>

I haven't sold any (yet), so I haven't won (yet)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    finally I got my 5 sets afer have issue with different shipping and billing addresses.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good post, along those lines I was wondering if the ripple effect will ever kick start the dormant 95-W. >>

With the current perceived profit of a box-of-5, one could buy a 95-W nearly free and clear. Hmmm!
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good post, along those lines I was wondering if the ripple effect will ever kick start the dormant 95-W. >>

With the current perceived profit of a box-of-5, one could buy a 95-W nearly free and clear. Hmmm! >>

I opted to send in a box-of-5 to PCGS nearly free and clear. Maybe if I get some -70's I can revisit the 95W free and clear idea. image
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about this being a blank post originally. My computer has been having some brain-fart issues apparently.

The additional winners I hadn't even thought about such as UPS and USPS are also good ideas.

What I still find astounding is that to me, 100,000 sets of these stills sounds like a lot to me. None will ever circulate. All are essentially "first strike" as far as release and distribution. I think I way underestimated the number of people who collect these American Eagles, and I am actually pleasantly surprised how popular these issues are. I mostly collect the classic US coins, but, these American Eagles are very pretty and are made of silver.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I think there might be some extra $'s floating around the Baltimore show this weekend too.

Lots of people resetting targets on other, previously out of reach coins.

(edited to add " o " to too.
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I haven't sold any (yet), so I haven't won (yet) >>

Bochiman,

I think if you got an order in...you won!
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    i'm still waiting for my fuel to be delivered before i see how hot the winning fire gets.

95W... image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Plus, I feel like a lot of the coin collecting flippers will turn their profits back into coins. So people on the BST here, dealers, coin shows, shops, ebay, etc also all win.
  • Options
    Welcome to new forum member Solo who nailed it on the head with the correct answer!

<<<<The sets were shipped via UPS, not USPS. They charge by weight, not by the size of the box. >>

If you had a PO box for a shipping address, then the sets were shipped via USPS. Everyone else though did receive theirs via UPS.>>
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    heh-heh, FIRE!image

image 95-W
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    At the Balto show...dealers are paying $800+ for unopened sets. Also PCGS is accepting orders there...They open the box to make sure it's all there & keep the coins, you get to keep the rest.
  • Options

<< <i>I still haven't set my sets in (I'm going ATS).
    Can't decide if it's just easier and almost as profitable to sell the sealed box of 5. >>

Selling sealed is a much easier way to do it. You won't have to worry about prices dropping while your sets are away, and you can sell in one transaction rather than 5 (meaning less trips to the post office, less buyers to possibly deal with, etc.) Also, it will probably be easier to sell the sealed box on BST where graded sets will likely be easier to sell on eBay.

On the other hand... there are potential gains to be made with grading as well. The number of 70's you get (compared to everyone else) and timing seem to be the main factors.

I can't decide either. Sealed? Graded? Graded+FS?

Almost wish I hadn't bought 'em.

Not!
  • Options

<< <i>

Must be waiting for the peak to hit. It is hard to know when each day, the prices keep going up. I guess you just have to keep your ear to the ground and as soon as you see a plateau, sell fast!!
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Must be waiting for the peak to hit. It is hard to know when each day, the prices keep going up. I guess you just have to keep your ear to the ground and as soon as you see a plateau, sell fast!! >>

I did the grading gamble...so I can't sell anything until they come back (I don't sell what I don't have in hand or know is on the way from PCGS to me).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Don't forget these

I paid the following on 3 sets sold:

eBay $189.67
    Post Office $100.39
    Paypal $78. 48

Joe >>

Three more winners to add to the list. Unfortunately, for USPS, it won't cover the 5 billion dollar deficit it is currently faced with.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who sold their sets for $340 (or whatever) probably feel more like losers than winners.

I think that going forward, the number of losers will start to pile up. We are approaching the point in which trade in these will become a zero sum game. Trees do not grow to the sky.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Must be waiting for the peak to hit. It is hard to know when each day, the prices keep going up. I guess you just have to keep your ear to the ground and as soon as you see a plateau, sell fast!! >>

I did the grading gamble...so I can't sell anything until they come back (I don't sell what I don't have in hand or know is on the way from PCGS to me). >>

Ok. I got you. You are in a holding pattern like me. With guarded optimism, the hope for the 70s is the goal. Good luck to you!!
    Green neophyte
  • Options

<< <i>People who sold their sets for $340 (or whatever) probably feel more like losers than winners.

I think that going forward, the number of losers will start to pile up. We are approaching the point in which trade in these will become a zero sum game. Trees do not grow to the sky. >>

I guess those you sold real quick at very low prices don't remember what happened in 2006 or they would have been a little more patient. I think they are still hurting from that decision.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think every one that got in will have a good Christmas and a happy New year.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Don't forget where some of that money is going........people are buying coins that maybe they couldn't afford before with found new money.........
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>Plus, I feel like a lot of the coin collecting flippers will turn their profits back into coins. So people on the BST here, dealers, coin shows, shops, ebay, etc also all win. >>

Yep, you can count me in that group. I had originally bought 3 sets planning to sell 2 and essentially get the remaining one for free. But now, after seeing what they are going for I have much greater plans. image

For the money I will get from selling the two sealed sets, I hope to use that money to buy a 1909 S-VDB and complete the Lincoln set finally that I've been working on for years! Can get about PCGS 63RB money with the money from 2 set sales! Woohoo!
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    I ordered the limit (5) in two orders (4 & 1). I sold my box of (4) to a dealer from these boards in a quiet and simple transaction, avoiding grading, paypal, or ebay fees. My net profit after shipping these 4 off put a very nice sum in my Christmas account and a free single set (sealed in Mint box image ) in my collection.

I could've held my sets, or sent to PCGS, or listed on ebay, and possibly netted a LOT more. Any of these options could have also been a HUGE hassle or a major mistake for me. I have learned in 35+ years of collecting to take my profits and never look back.
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome to new forum member Solo who nailed it on the head with the correct answer!

<<<<The sets were shipped via UPS, not USPS. They charge by weight, not by the size of the box. >>

If you had a PO box for a shipping address, then the sets were shipped via USPS. Everyone else though did receive theirs via UPS.>> >>

Do I win a prize for having the correct answer image?

As for the topic at hand, I'm honestly surprised at the number of collectors who committed to the online dealers for a paltry $60 to $125 per set amount before they went on sale. I'm new to this board (I found this forum looking for info on burnished plat eagles), but on the other boards I frequent I tried reminding people what the 20th sets did after they sold out and then proceeded to explain why the 25th sets are light years better. I guess I can't blame folks for a quick flip if they need the money, but the fact so many are surprised that these sets are already on the move is puzzling IMO.

• Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I had a total of 8 sets because my brother only wanted 2 sets and agreed to sell me 3 of his order. I sold 6 of them on ebay (all singles) and sent in the lone box of 2 to PCGS. After ebay, paypal, shipping, and the 2 sets grading fees (including FS), I ended up $1500 in the black with 2 "free" graded sets as soon as they come back from PCGS. Perhaps I could have milked the sealed singles for a bit more, but I wanted to turn them and put the money in the bank. Now if I get lucky on my submission I could really hit a home run. I'm glad I ordered as single sets and was able to play both sides so to speak. Perhaps I should have held a couple sealed sets to see where prices go, but I just decided to take the money on the table and be done with it since I have 2 sets in for grading. I figure if they shoot to moon money, I'm still covered with my graded sets.
    GMan
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the fact so many are surprised that these sets are already on the move is puzzling IMO.image

Welcome, Solo. Ya came to the right place! Did you get the info on burnished Plats that you needed?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Welcome to new forum member Solo who nailed it on the head with the correct answer!

If you had a PO box for a shipping address, then the sets were shipped via USPS. Everyone else though did receive theirs via UPS.>> >>

Do I win a prize for having the correct answer image?

As for the topic at hand, I'm honestly surprised at the number of collectors who committed to the online dealers for a paltry $60 to $125 per set amount before they went on sale. I'm new to this board (I found this forum looking for info on burnished plat eagles), but on the other boards I frequent I tried reminding people what the 20th sets did after they sold out and then proceeded to explain why the 25th sets are light years better. I guess I can't blame folks for a quick flip if they need the money, but the fact so many are surprised that these sets are already on the move is puzzling IMO. >>

Yes, but if anyone here had an inkling of how these would perform, they would have been posting buy offers on the BST just like the dealers, but nobody did. The market on these has surprised everyone.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    We can add that middlemen walking around the Baltimore shore are buying and selling making money. They are winners, too.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If you had a PO box for a shipping address, then the sets were shipped via USPS. Everyone else though did receive theirs via UPS. >>

That was not an option on these, I tried to ship to my po box and the mint said street address only.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>That was not an option on these, I tried to ship to my po box and the mint said street address only. >>

Mine are being delivered to my PO Box Saturday. I your PO Box not your billing address? That may have been the issue.
  • Options
    All I wanted is one set of 70s but wondered how lucky I be to order one set and all 5 coins come back as 70s. Figuring I'd have one shot at ordering the question was how many sets might it take to put a 70 set together. Three sounded good, I'd hope it could be done with three, but then it's always possible to have a streak of bad luck. So what's the best way to insure I get my 70 set, order the limit. Within a few hours of them being delivered I was back at the post office sending five sets for grading.

It looks like how lucky I am with the grades returned to figure out what to do with the four extra sets. Trade a 69 set for a 70 2008/07? Trade 70 a set for a 2006 70 set? Trade sets for a 70 1995 set? It seems to all come down to luck.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome, Solo. Ya came to the right place! Did you get the info on burnished Plats that you needed? >>

Actually I found more than I was looking for jmski52. Thanks for asking as I truly appreciate it image.

• Options
    Decisions, decisions.....

Do i take $4k for a sealed set today...............or wait , will they go even higher ?

I really wanted to save 2 raw sets, but don't want to bust open a sealed box of 5 ?? feedback welcome !
    Positive BST deals with: Mikes Coins, CED3838, MBCoin. 100% positive eBay feedback {AMF64}
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Decisions, decisions.....

Do i take $4k for a sealed set today...............or wait , will they go een higher ?

I really wanted to save 2 raw sets, but don't want to bust open a sealed box of 5 ?? feedback welcome ! >>

Ask the guys on your avatar! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

"If you had a PO box for a shipping address, then the sets were shipped via USPS. Everyone else though did receive theirs via UPS."

I have a PO Box and the sets were not delivered by USPS.
    My sets were shipped by UPS who then delivered them to my post office and i picked them up there.The USPS did nothing but hold them.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"If you had a PO box for a shipping address, then the sets were shipped via USPS. Everyone else though did receive theirs via UPS."

I have a PO Box and the sets were not delivered by USPS.
    My sets were shipped by UPS who then delivered them to my post office and i picked them up there.The USPS did nothing but hold them. >>

Thank You. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine came to my PO Box just fine
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>People who sold their sets for $340 (or whatever) probably feel more like losers than winners.

I think that going forward, the number of losers will start to pile up. We are approaching the point in which trade in these will become a zero sum game. Trees do not grow to the sky. >>

Ya, it seems like an interesting game to play. Where do these stop? You gotta know when to hold and when to fold I guess...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file