Home Metal Detecting
Options

Santa Fe Trail

Has anyone had any luck detecting along the Santa Fe Trail or other wagon trails for that matter?

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Spanish Trail (Mormon Trail) goes through the Las Vegas valley and is accessible on the west
    side of the valley near Red Rock State Park. I've hunted the trail which is quite noticeable many
    times and have always found something. Nothing of value but wagon parts mostly. Bolts, nuts,
    hinge halfs, etc. All handmade and mostly hand forged iron.
    Always a fun outing and nearby, too.
    I've found graffiti at places of encampment (young lovers with names and dates, etc)

bobimage

Edited to add: In 1848 there was a wagon train of Mormon settlers fleeing Utah for California due
    to the invasion of the Mormon crickets that were destroying their crops. They thought that this was
    an omen of sorts and a group left Salt Lake for S. California in wagons. Along the way they had
    a problem with the native Americans and part of their wagon train burned. They fled back to Salt
    Lake and when they got back the cricket invasion had ended due to the arrival of the sea gulls that
    destroyed the pests.
    Well, I would love to find those wagon remains as I'm pretty sure there would have been some
    valuables of sort that were left in the ashes. As far as I know the burn site has not been discovered
    or at least not reported to have been discovered.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some amazing things to be found in the desert or badlands... used to do that when I lived in AZ.... but you have to travel far afield and best know what you are doing and be able to get back. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never hunted it, but have thought about it, and the dream/fantasy is
    to find and old Conquistador Helmet, Hey it could happenimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish i lived out west at times but then again id be missing stuff here on the east coast as well to image