Home Sports Talk
Options

Pujols

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
He rejected a 9 year $210 Million dollar offer? Are you kidding me?

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God must have told him to reject it
  • Options
    What team offered that amount?
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By Evan Brunell

The St. Louis Cardinals don't intend to up their spring-training offer to Albert Pujols anytime soon, SI.com's Jon Heyman reports.

In spring training, the Cardinals made an offer in which Pujols would have re-upped for about nine years and $210 million. Pujols rejected the offer and closed negotiations, and there was speculation that Pujols was not particularly happy with the organization. But this isn't really a surprise. That offer is still extremely competitive, with a $23.3 million annual salary that stretches across nine years. That's a very long investment for a baseball player.

Right now, only the Marlins are thought to be the other team with an offer out to Pujols. While it may well be competitive, that's not known just yet. Either way, whatever Miami submits likely will not be significantly more than St. Louis' offer. Until there are more details, more teams enter the fray and talks advance a bit deeper, there is no rush for the Cardinals to up their deal. When it comes time, though, it's difficult to imagine St. Louis not increasing their offer.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard he called Lebron and asked him for advice on how to do a live TV announcement.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I think he will fish around and see what other teams offer and come back and take it from the Cardinals. That is his right as a free agent and I really do not blame him for doing so. He knows the Cardinals will have a competitive offer, but not necessarily the best offer. He is just seeing if there is a stupid owner out there throwing out stupid money.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

I think Pujols will sign elsewhere. Berkman can move to 1B where he is more comfortable, and Allen Craig will take over RF. Honestly the Cards will be almost as good offensively. Craig is a very good hitter (he will break out next year big time) and Berkman obviously has a lot left in the tank. The Cards don't need to waste their money on Pujols.
  • Options
    thats a lot of cheddar to spend on a 35 year old player with a variety of nagging injuries.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He rejected a 9 year $210 Million dollar offer? Are you kidding me? >>

Since he is 55, he doesn't think he can last another 9 years. I don't blame him.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Since he is 55, he doesn't think he can last another 9 years. I don't blame him. >>

For Pujols and his PEDs playing until 64 doesn't seem that unreasonable. I'm guessing he gets 10 and $250 somewhere.
  • Options
    Heck, even Ty Cobb got more than $250 for ten years. ;-)
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Wrigley is calling...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This guy is becoming more and more unlikable as his free-agency progresses. What's up with this bit about 'We'll just see where God takes us?' News flash, Albert- God isn't picking your next team; you are.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Why are these offers for 9-years? If he's telling the truth about his age, this would take him to 41 years old. That contract will look atrocious 6 years from now (if not sooner).

I'd love for the Sox to swoop in and pay him 5/$150m....oh yeah, I forgot, they can't afford that because they are paying $37m each of the next 3 years for the vaunted Lackey/Crawford combo....aarrgh.
  • Options
    I wonder if Lebron has made a push for Albert to come to Miami. (God those uniforms are ungly as sin)
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options

Perk, he has been kidding everyone all these years.

This guy is so full of chit, it is unbelievable.

One of his M/O's for him saying he is innocent in the use of PED's was to always maintain that money and setting records were not important to him, hence no need to partake in the use of PED's, since those two primary motivating factors didn't matter.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he is just as greedy as the next MLB player. This guy is so full of chit.

Oh, and Albert offered to test for the use of PEDs...Abert, we are still waiting that.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, he is good, real good, but he is not worth what was offered. If he leaves STL he is a bum with no loyalty!!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    He is a great player, no question, but 9 years seems long for anybody of any age.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    wonder what this will do to the amount he will be offered.

HGH testing
  • Options

<< <i>wonder what this will do to the amount he will be offered.

HGH testing >>

Absolutely nothing. He will just quit using HGH.

Wonder why the Angels didn't ask to see an official birth certificate?