Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Fleer Bill Ripken F$%& Face Question - Is this a likely test proof card or something differ

I saw this 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken black & white card online this morning. It appears to be a "test run" card. Anyone have experience here with these types of cards? Is this the real deal and is it worth anything? Thank you. Meatloaf

imageimage

Comments

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    be careful with those items...

many are "home made" paper stock items...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • This card is a verified fake. Edited to add the guide is actually from a member here.

Link

• << <i>This card is a verified fake. Edited to add the guild is actually from a member here.

Link >>

Sean & Swartz...TY for your insight. WOW. TY for this weblink as well! What a great resource of information. Meatloaf
  • me being a smart fart on purpose,,,,,,,,, What clued you in that this might be a "teast run" card?,,,j
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Here's some more.

billripken.com pic

billripken.com article

billripken.com article 2

Real (imo) B/W

GEM will grade anything

Am I still drunk?

imageimageimage
  • ive seen these on eBay, all over eBay, and mostly by the same seller

FAKE
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    I remember buying them in 1990 for a 1.00....Fake
  • If you look at the print dots, you can see they are photocopied not printed.

Most have white on the outer edge. The sheet color. Wrong color.

Ever see any of these other than the FF?

I bought one in ?'03 when I started FF hunting. Never seen one. Paid like $75. Week later 10 were on ebay...lol

Cards have a one sided glossy feel. Kinda like photo paper.....

The link I posted earlier has a sheet pic. Not a industry sized sheet.
    imageimageimage
  • TY all for the great words. Meatloaf
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    good luck ! we have a plethora of knowledge here....feel free to ask any day
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • This card should go down in history not only for its' greatness but for being the only item I can think of in this world where the eff word is clearly visible for all to see yet is allowed to be pictured here, ebay, and wherever without anyone throwing down some hissy fit about being offending. FF Rules.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Bunt ... let's not forget the "other" Billy who flipped off the world in this Topps card:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This card should go down in history not only for its' greatness but for being the only item I can think of in this world where the eff word is clearly visible for all to see yet is allowed to be pictured here, ebay, and wherever without anyone throwing down some hissy fit about being offending. FF Rules. >>

Yep, and the grading companies think nothing of falling over themselves to get the $6 submission fees (or whatever it is) to slab these puppies, but will bend over backward to avoid slabbing my Mickey Mantle autographed quotes because, aghast, they mention sex and have some "language". I guess it's appropriate to teach kids the "F" word, but not appropriate to mention activities that potentially lead to bringing them into this world.

Makes me want to yack

Mike

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bunt ... let's not forget the "other" Billy who flipped off the world in this Topps card:

image >>

Apparently some jokes never got old for Bill...
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently some jokes never got old for Bill... >>

Great catch, I haven't seen anyone highlight that one before.

ETA: The closer I look, that may be his pointer finger and not the middle one.
    You may be correct.

Still with his track record - you definitely make a double take.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both Billys pale next to the original, Hoss Radbourn:

And from a team photo:

Radbourn is believed to be the earliest example of a person giving the finger in a photo.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget Frank Thomas' 91 UD and his 94 Stadium Club Award Winner "finger".
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    Hoss the boss.

That really had me laughing for some reason. Maybe he was a time traveler - definitely ahead of his.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't forget Frank Thomas' 91 UD and his 94 Stadium Club Award Winner "finger". >>

I am embarrassed to admit I never noticed the 91 Thomas (was out of collecting by '94 so never saw his encore). Looking up the images, I found this "Top 10" list:

Top 10 "Obscene" Cards

The zipper ones are great.