Home Precious Metals
Options

36oz of All-Steel

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just about to buy the new Taurus .22 magnum/.22 LR revolver, but I read enough reviews to start thinking that Taurus's Quality Control sucks. And, if you get a lemon, all you ever do is keep sending it back for more repairs. I'm getting a S&W .22 LR instead, for twice the price and twice the precision.

I don't know if the Judge is worth it.

To keep it coin-related, here's the big brother of the .22 I'm getting:

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comrade, nice pic composition.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Judge is interesting, but impractical. There are better choices. jmski... I had not heard that about Taurus... previous reports on their quality had been good. Will have to check that...too bad, if that is the case, they were a good company. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That judge looks funny (stretched), and not really seeing the point of a hand-shotgun. My dad has a couple Taurus, last outing we fired both .32 short (he calls it "popcorn" loads) as well as 327 mag that had a hell of a kick for a .32, anyway I've preferred S&W, here's my model 629 .44 mag and a few backups, plus a little PM, in a "carrot and stick" bugout bag,
    figure one or the other will work in most short-term SHTF situations, but so far neither has come up in the 'ville in my 30+ years of packin heat and gold image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I am a fan of the Judge. I like it for in-home defense loaded with the .410.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am more of a semi auto man. Here is my H&K squeeze co*ker.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man you guys are messing with my xmas shopping ideas. Just had my weapons permit renewed and the wife got hers for the first time. Still debating what I want to get, went and looked at Walthers and Sigs, she's wanting a revolver.
  • Options

<< <i>I am a fan of the Judge. I like it for in-home defense loaded with the .410. >>

That's what I was thinking. A nice area-weapon for those middle-of-the-night OWS invaders. image
  • Options
    I own a Judge I purchased it for my wife to carry this way its a little harder to MISS!!! She likes it and I will say it never gave us a problem as of now.... For me I am an old school type of gy. .38 S&W this way I never have to worrie about it jamming if my life is on the line
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

IMO, the Judge is good for a HD bedside gun or under the seat backup truck/snake gun only. Some of the HD loads for the .410 are pretty kick butt. Would be fun to shoot at the range.

I carry a S&W Airweight on my ankle and a Springfield XD45 on my hip in a Crossbreed Supertuck Delux holster. Feel like I would at least have a chance with those if the situation arises.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Here's the low down on The Judge from the The Box O' Truth.

My masters in Sacramento say The Judge is a short barreled shotgun and will not permit me to have one. But even if they did I would still opt for the revealed truth of Saint John of Ogden.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    I know two guys that have the judge. They both like it a lot for home defense. They say that the .410 can take out a door but has short range so the load doesn't go outside of your perimeter. They use it as a bedroom weapon. I use a Baretta .25 auto with a 7 round mag for the bedroom.
  • Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    Have a Walther P22, M&P15-22 and a kimber gold match II 1911 45,

my next purchases is going to be a walther pk380 , it just feel so good to hold and it's just like the P22 , also a XDm 9 mm or a AR15
  • Options
    In my opinion, the judge is almost too big to be a practical semi-concealed or drawer-type bedroom handgun. I appreciate the fact that it can shoot .410's but that doesn't warrant me buying one. On the other hand, I have nothing but good things to say about my CZ-75. Classic 1911 style look, well-made and reliable, great ergonomics. The CZ75(b) is not as popular in America as it should be but from what I've read, it was used alot by European police depts. If you want to go smaller, then I like the SW 638 with the switch-type trigger. Kel-tec, Taurus, Hi-point, etc... are not for me. I need to know it works, not hope it works.
    And for home defense, make sure to have them all loaded with hollow points!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no desert eagle owners here????

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>no desert eagle owners here???? >>

colt king cobra here and no its not for sale.
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    The issue with any type of shotshell type cartridge, IF you do have to use in self defense, the prosecutor will have the coroner on the stand describing what each an every pellet did to the perp.

A simple 9mm or 40 will suffice....and practice.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok, seriously, seems like a lot of revolver fans.

for a total newb, are there benefits of revolvers over semiautomatics?

and what's a good HD "starter" weapon?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Revolvers jam much less frequently than the automatics
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    For MrsMorrisine,
    Some people don't like racking the slide of a semi auto, although that sound does induce quite a bit of fear to the invader. Racking the slide is perceived as being more difficult than it actually is. Revolvers can lay around loaded (safely stored ESPECIALLY if kids are in the household) without any damage to springs, etc. Revolvers are usually easier to trouble shoot in the event of any issues, like the jamming mentioned. Revolvers are easier to see at a glance if loaded or not. One advantage that semi-autos have is the round capacity, but in most home invasions, there are not 10+ shots fired. If you are lucky, zero shots will be fired.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Pretty cool vid . . .

THE JUDGE

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty cool vid . . .

THE JUDGE

HH >>

I know what your thinking...
  • Options
    Comrade, I'm about 95% sure that that particular movie scene is the subliminal reason that I bought the gun in the pic.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I'm 100% sure

• Options

<< <i>Revolvers jam much less frequently than the automatics >>

Your right, except when a revolver does bind up it is much more difficult to resolve.

I'll stick with this:

• Options
    EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭
    most any quality hand gun will perform just fine when properly maintained and uses proper ammo that cycles in the gun correctly.
  • Options
    I have a Judge and a Thunder 5, both are ridiculous weapons I received in trades. Unless you want a short range snake gun buy a real gun. .410 or .45LC leave much to be desired for protection or defense. When I am hiking I carry a Springfield M-6 scout in .22 Hornet/ .410 with #7 1/2, #4, #00 Buckshot and slugs, it is a great little camp gun.

I never have jams on my auto's, I have carried Glocks (17,18,19,20,21), Sig's (226), Colt (1911) in combat and my original Glock 17 has over 80k rounds through it (4 barrels and 2 internal rebuilds) and I have never had a miss fire not ammunition attributed or a stove pipe. It is kind of hard to jam a auto with a non-supported chamber if you are using ball ammunition. If I want power I carry my Glock 20 or 29 in 10mm.

I also carry my firearms chambered and hammer back on single actions and have never had a AD, AD's are caused by idiot owners, not the guns. Revolvers are no safer than auto's, a idiot is going to discharge the weapon if they do stupid stuff.

Walther PPK/S are nice, but for the money I would go with a Sig 238. Walther recoil springs are heavy and certain 95 gr. rounds (subsonic) won't cycle the weapon.
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Revolvers jam much less frequently than the automatics

They also do not scatter evidence all over the scene for techs to pick up.

I have had a lot of fun with Ruger's New Vaquero Convertible. It can fire 45 Long Colt or swap cylinders and shoot 45 ACP with no moon clips.

Of course, if the situation calls for more than 6 shots (and statistically very few do) then Mr. 226 makes an appearance.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    I wish that Ruger made a double action 10-shot .22 magnum/LR convertible, but they don't.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jmski52- You can fire 22LR out of a 22 Magnum cylinder for quite a while before you wreck it so any double action 22 Mag. revolver will do. I am sure someone out there makes a 10 shot, I have seen the 8 shot Taurus 22 Mag wheel guns. It takes a while to wreck a chamber and with 10 chambers you would get a good life out of her. I have a bolt action 22 mag that I have shot probably 2000 rounds of 22 lR through with no chamber erosion yet, in time it will be gone, but I haven't seen anything yet and it is just as accurate as the day I got it.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    TN, thanks for the info on the Springfiled. Never seen one of those and I like it.
  • Options
    Eric, they can be tough to find as they are no longer made, at the last San Antonio show I saw 2, like new, one in 22LR one in 22 Hornet. One was $350 (LR) and the other was $425 (Hornet). If you want one I can set you up with the dealer (FFL).

TN
  • Options
    Not mine, mine is parkerized

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of the Judge, but here are a couple of my good friends. A S&W Model 19 and a 4006.
    The 2nd pic is of my precious medals. They don't just give that last one away.

• Options
    oh yeah? how about 36 oz of Plastic?

this is a nightmare for an intruder with an allergy to suction cup darts

• Options
    I'm not seeing the sense in a shotgun through a rifled barrel..isnt going to last long in regards accuracy with the 45 option , who would choose a small gauge shotgun with limited range and knockdown power when the .45 option is there ?
  • Options
    I'm very happy with the S&W double action .22LR 10-shot revolver I got for my birthday. I would highly recommend it, even though I was fantasizing about having a magnum in the same configuration.

I've been cycling through my gun "collection", taking a couple to the range about once a week - then getting them all nice 'n clean & lubed. I've decided that I need to trade or sell off a couple, which isn't at all difficult at a local gun show. I want to try one of the Walther pistols because the P-22 really has a nice feel to it.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a smidgen!

• Options

<< <i>I'm not seeing the sense in a shotgun through a rifled barrel..isnt going to last long in regards accuracy with the 45 option , who would choose a small gauge shotgun with limited range and knockdown power when the .45 option is there ? >>

I have a Judge chambered for 2 1/2" rounds, loaded with #4 shot and think it's a great nightstand gun.
    I've fired 100 rounds through it with no problems and because of the weight of the gun there really is no kick.
    The reason people like using shotgun shells is first of all a good spread pattern ensuring if you point in the general direction you will hit said intruder. Another good reason is bullet penetration going through a wall and possibly hitting someone in an adjoining apartment, of course this isn't a concern for me as I have my own house but for those living in condo's or apartments it is a concern.
    If an intruder enters your home you typically don't have much time to react and the house is usually dark so it would be very hard to hit someone with a bullet under those conditions.
  • Options
    My concern would be if from a fair distance , lets say across a room , how much damage is a 410 going to do to an intruder ? Is that intruder still coming at me and now he's PO'ed ..ill take my chances with a .45 anyday of the week.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Just bought a Sig 250 (.40 S+W) for me and a Sig 238 (.380) for the wife. Never had a hand gun before.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    The true issue with using any shotgun round, you don't want the coroner providing a BB by BB damage account. Jurors will be heaving over the railing.

What to buy? The handgun that fits your hand AND that YOU can shoot well.

In a bad situation, the event will be up close and personal. Sites will not matter. Accessibility and how you handle the encounter will. Please practice. Pay for training. ...and practice more.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options

<< <i>My concern would be if from a fair distance , lets say across a room , how much damage is a 410 going to do to an intruder ? Is that intruder still coming at me and now he's PO'ed ..ill take my chances with a .45 anyday of the week. >>

.410 buckshot will do plenty of damage. It's bigger than a 40 Cal bullet and there's more of them. The hangup is accuracy with the shotshells. They spread out wide especially with a short barrel.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My concern would be if from a fair distance , lets say across a room , how much damage is a 410 going to do to an intruder ? Is that intruder still coming at me and now he's PO'ed ..ill take my chances with a .45 anyday of the week. >>

.410 buckshot will do plenty of damage. It's bigger than a 40 Cal bullet and there's more of them. The hangup is accuracy with the shotshells. They spread out wide especially with a short barrel. >>

Buckshot in a .410 shell is about .33 which is smaller than a 40 cal. Also, buckshot is spherical and a 40 cal bullet is conical so they are heavier.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

.410 buckshot will do plenty of damage. It's bigger than a 40 Cal bullet and there's more of them. The hangup is accuracy with the shotshells. They spread out wide especially with a short barrel. >>

My point exactly , the spread , so from across a room it's probably equivilent to be hitting with a few airgun pellets , itll hurt yes and itll pierce the skin , but it isnt going to stop a determined and frightened intruder i wouldnt think. On the other hand a few rounds from a trusty .45 is going to get his attention.
  • Options

Can't beat a double tap from a big hole pistol.

My XD45 provides that comfort for me. 14 rounds of 230gr 45ACP.

• Options
    That's what i'm thinking Wes , i'm far from an expert in firearms although i do or did have the marksman ribbon in the service with the .45 and it had me wondering...when the navy put me on quarterdeck watch they provided me with a .45 , there had to be a reason it was that calibre. When the USN puts one guy on watch for all enemies foreign and domestic while the crew sleep i'd imagine the sidearm is sufficient to stop said enemy in his tracks.Thats good enough for me.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TexasNationals said it all in his first post.... and virtually all the SD experts pan the Judge. Yes, it is better than no gun at all. However, if you are really determined to defend your home and loved ones, get a good SD handgun (.45, 9MM) and get the training requisite to employ the weapon and the knowledge necessary to use it judiciously. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Judge is a gimmic as far as I'm concerned. I prefer a M1911A1 Colt or Springfield. I also like the S&W 686+ 7 shot 357 with a 4" barrel. If you're on a budget, get a Remington or Mossberg 12 guage pump shotgun.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.