Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you have a method to using a safe or safety deposit box?

CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have both and I am worried about long term storage, IE: humidity, milk spots, etc...

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move to Nevada, we don't have humidity or milk.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I have electronic dehumidifiers in my safes.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silica packs will help with humidity, just make sure that you change or recharge them every couple months or when it is recommended on the package.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use silica gel packages in the safe...large ones... never have a problem. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silica, as noted. When I collected red IHC's, I would include copper wool also - figured anything bad would react with that first.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SDBs and safe
    not for the first theft but to prevent any reason for coming back

so an ounce of prevention....

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    plenty use silica packs and i havent heard of any problems. its worth it if you as me and others to use it image best wishes
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have both and I am worried about long term storage, IE: humidity, milk spots, etc... >>

Seal your PCGS boxes with electrical tape.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Forget the home safe. Store your collection at the bank. Even then, have a good home alarm system, and a large guard dog. One can never be too safe.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Forget the home safe. Store your collection at the bank. Even then, have a good home alarm system, and a large guard dog. One can never be too safe. >>

Exact method I use, except I have 2 large guard dogs image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    check the rh of the box - some are for paper etc. use a sacrificial anode such as a roughed up fresh copper round. use silica gel. keep paper and other out-gassing materials like wood, felt, or even ammo, away from the box.

Eric
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For long term storage you might consider
    Vacumn packing with silica gel

Example
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a safe deposit box at a bank...try to get one that is several rows up, i.e. high off the ground in case of flooding...put Silica packs in the SDB.

Get a small home safe that focuses on protection against theft (not just a fire safe). Use this safe to store your coins temporarily at home enroute to the SDB. Put Silica packs in the home safe.

Have a home security alarm installed.

Get a large dog.

Buy a handgun and practice shooting it frequently in as many simulated situations as you can think of and accommodate.

Buy insurance for your coins...a valuable personal property policy that specifically covers a coin collection - make sure you ask - and provide detailed descriptions of each coin along with copies of receipts if possible.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a good safe at home (and the requisite large dogs, alarm systems and weapons). But most of my collection is stored in an off-site vault.

It's an interesting place. Temperature and humidity controlled, fire-proof concrete construction (no sprinklers required). Even has steel gates that enclose you and your car when you drive up, so you can safely transport from car to vault.

No electronic documents either. Nothing is on computer. No hacking, and complete confidentiality and privacy.
    Lance.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Safe deposits spread around different banks as I'm not comfortable having the stuff in the home.
    A safe too, for some of the times when I need to have something outside the SDB for a brief period.
    The bulk of it is kept off site.

Edited to add:
    Forgot the silica packs and higher rows on the boxes...

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file