Awesome news ... thanks again!

-Larry
    Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for setting this up Craig!

I just can't grade anything from 1981. I give up.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    It was definitely worth waiting to "find out" that the Ryne Sandberg rookie I pulled from a pack when I was a kid and stuck right into a screwdown holder was altered stock.
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Craig!
  • Options
    Thanks Craig...

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the screw down might have pushed the corners down giving it a wierd shin. That might be why they gave it that alltered stock. Not sure though
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for organizing, and keeping us updated, and entertained while we waited. I really appreciate the opporitunity to join the sub.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFan. Great results on the Fleer Trios you submitted. I am a little disappointed in the grade on the one I subbed. It looked immaculate, I wonder what held it back.
  • Options

<< <i>It was definitely worth waiting to "find out" that the Ryne Sandberg rookie I pulled from a pack when I was a kid and stuck right into a screwdown holder was altered stock. >>

Is this a common problem? I have 50 - 60 cards that are in the old thick screwdowns without the card slots. Most of the cards have been stored this way for over 20 years without removing them from the holders. Is the problem due to the card being flattened out due to over-tightening of the screws?

Paul
  • Options
    About freaking time.
    Business day 40 for me.
  • Options
    Is this a common problem? I have 50 - 60 cards that are in the old thick screwdowns without the card slots. Most of the cards have been stored this way for over 20 years without removing them from the holders. Is the problem due to the card being flattened out due to over-tightening of the screws?

If you haven't touched them in over 20 years I suggest you look at them now because the card may actually be stuck to the acrylic; especially the corners. Non-recessed holders with penny sleeves usually won't have this problem. My friend had a Jordan fleer rc that was put into a non-recessed holder with no sleeve and upon removal it took some of the red off the corner/edges.
  • Options
    I agree Bryan....lets get this one to pop now....LOL
  • Options
    Been checking when I'm near computer and checking on my iPhone. If I could check while on Xbox I would lol
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    bummer about those little Transformers inserts, but I called it
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the screw down might have pushed the corners down giving it a wierd shin. That might be why they gave it that alltered stock. Not sure though >>

I had never thought of that. A few years ago I had a sub where I got 4 cards that PSA said were altered stock. All were in screw down holders. One was a Henderson rookie, two were Ripken 82 topps rookies, one was a 77 Brett. I had pulled all these cards from packs myself so I was a bit mad at the time. I sent them all to SGC and the Henderson rookie got a 96, or 9 and the other three got 92(8.5)
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for setting this up.

Overall, happy with the results. I am getting much better with the PSA grading standard now.
    With every sub, there always a few WTFs.
  • Options
    Craig, thank for setting this up. I just upgraded 30 cards to my sets.

Dave
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    I definitely understand that it is possible for things to happen in a screw-down holder, given the examples posted previously. The card could somehow get stuck to the holder (maybe from moisture?) and lose gloss/color. But the LOSS of gloss and/or color doesn't seem like altered stock given PSA's definition:

This term is used when the paper stock is altered in one or more of the following ways: trimming, recoloring, restoring, or enhancing the gloss.

The term altered stock definitely has a negative connotation. I did nothing to the card as far as trying to pass it off for something it is not.

Conversely, I am sure that Gary Carter Mint 9 is overgraded. Maybe the grader was feeling some love for The Kid?

Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    One thing I thought of after your post was what it looks under a black light. I think PSA uses that so that might throw up the altered flag.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Good results from NESC purchases!

DavidPuddy
    1 1 19201600 EXCELLENT 5 1975 O-PEE-CHEE 281 JIM SLATON Card
    2 1 19201601 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1981 DONRUSS 59 REGGIE SMITH Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    3 1 19201602 MINT 9 1981 FLEER STAR STICKERS 44 J.R. RICHARD Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    4 1 19201603 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1981 FLEER STAR STICKERS 64 AL OLIVER Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    5 1 19201604 MINT 9 1982 TOPPS 55 CLEVELAND BROWNS TEAM LEADERS Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    6 1 19201605 GEM MINT 10 1983 PERMA-GRAPHICS SUPER STAR CREDIT CARDS AL OLIVER GOLD Card
    7 1 19201606 GEM MINT 10 1984 TOPPS NESTLE HAND CUT 516 EXPOS BATTING & PITCHING LEADERS Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    8 1 19201607 GEM MINT 10 1984 TOPPS NESTLE HAND CUT 726 BREWERS BATTING & PITCHING LEADERS Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    9 1 19201608 MINT 9 1985 FLEER UPDATE U-84 AL OLIVER Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    10 1 19201609 GEM MINT 10 1985 TOPPS TIFFANY 130 AL OLIVER Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    11 1 19201610 GEM MINT 10 1986 SPORTFLICS 126 RBI SLUGGERS CARTER/OLIVER/FOSTER Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    12 1 19201611 MINT 9 1986 SPORTFLICS 164 AL OLIVER Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    13 1 19201612 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 WOOLWORTH 26 AL OLIVER Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    14 1 19201613 MINT 9 1987 FLEER GLOSSY 528 TED SIMMONS Card NESC Advertised as Mint
    15 1 19201614 GEM MINT 10 2007 TOPPS ROOKIE PREMIERE AUTOGRAPH RPAJT JOE THOMAS Card

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Craig - as everyone has already stated...

thanks for doing this, I apologize if those transformer tilt cards were what held up the pop...

very please with results!!

Mike

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Craig - as everyone has already stated...

thanks for doing this, I apologize if those transformer tilt cards were what held up the pop...

very please with results!!

Mike >>

No need to apologize! There was a wide variety of stuff in the sub, and it sounds like there are a lot of people waiting for their subs to pop.
  • Options
    when we doing another?.....hehehe
  • Options
    Let me know when and how you want to handle the return postage.
  • Options
    I have the cards back from PSA and will be sorting them out by participant and boxing them up tonight. I will be in touch either tonight or tomorrow morning with the return shipping details.
  • Options
    awesome....just loaded up the paypal. LMK
  • Options
    All cards are packaged up and PMs sent. The people who have already paid for their return shipping today will have their cards shipped today.

Thanks to all the participants!
  • Options
    Got my cards today, thanks again Craig!

The folowing are for sale - prices include shipping:
    2000 Fleer Janikowski/Lechler #356 RC - $9.99
    2003 Bowman Lance Briggs #120 RC - $9.99
    2006 SPX Nick Mangold #101 RC (2nd one pictured) - $19.99
  • Options
    Love the scans. I hope everyone will post the Group sub scans!
  • Options
    got mine in the mail today, Thanks Craig. I just don't have scans yet. I would love to see the Fleer Trios that GoDodgersFan had graded.
  • Options
    ok....I'm not too familiar with SPX, so I have to ask? What is the difference btwn the 2? One is Green and one is blue, yet they are serial numbered the same.
  • Options
    cadets68cadets68 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Here is what I got in the mail today from the sub.

I need the Brewer to finish up my 1978 Brewers set registry.

I like 80's Fleer basketball so I subbed them. I already have a PSA 9 Jordan so I can sell/trade the 8 if anyone is interested.

The PSA 9 Pippen came from I pack that I bought from MBMiller25.

Shawn
    After those four National League games, Gorman Thomas was never the same, and neither were the Brewers, and come to think of it neither was I.

Josh Wilker - Cardboard Gods
  • Options
    LarryPLarryP Posts: 339 ✭✭
    Thanks again Craig.

Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions
  • Options
    Very nice guys!
  • Options
    here's mine
  • Options
    Received mine yesterday.

Nothing really special. Mostly modern stuff for HOF set upgrades.

Thanks again,

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>ok....I'm not too familiar with SPX, so I have to ask? What is the difference btwn the 2? One is Green and one is blue, yet they are serial numbered the same. >>

I have no idea, to the naked eye they are both the same, when you scan them, one is green, one is blue.
  • Options
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    image Thanks Craig. Got the package over the weekend. Great job with the group sub !