Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A PSA: DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS WITH TIM CAPSTICK Of TRUMBULL,CONNECTICUT.

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a lurker here who used to post with the ID Capstick. He has caused problems for several other members, and now I am one of his victims. I am on my way now to file a criminal complaint with my local police department. This person is a few bricks short of a full load.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    So, what's the story? I have some popcorn somewhere around here...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    You can PM me for details, but if you choose to do business with him anyway, expect trouble.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck getting this settled and thanks for posting so no one else gets screwed!
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an ID blast from the past. Years ago (4+) he didn't pay for a purchase, and I haven't heard from him since, here or by email...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    wouldn't the Trumbull, CT authorities be the ones you'd need to contact?
  • Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    what's the story? I think we all need to know.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    In the words of another poster....

This thread has potential.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Facts, I want facts. Not veiled innuendo but facts.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Facts, I want facts. Not veiled innuendo but facts. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Facts, I want facts. Not veiled innuendo but facts. >>

image >>

• Options
    This tool has ordered items from other members here and then never sent payment, and never responded to further inquiries about his order. In my case, he strung me along for three weeks on an order for which I bent over backwards to help him on, and then he sends me a bad check. A simple case of a delusional dreamer. Just tell him to go pound sand. Fortunately, no merchandise was shipped. I'm only out a returned check fee and a reasonable sale. Just trying to be a good neighbor in this community by posting this. image

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>This tool has ordered items from other members here and then never sent payment, and never responded to further inquiries about his order. In my case, he strung me along for three weeks on an order for which I bent over backwards to help him on, and then he sends me a bad check. A simple case of a delusional dreamer. Just tell him to go pound sand. Fortunately, no merchandise was shipped. I'm only out a returned check fee and a reasonable sale. Just trying to be a good neighbor in this community by posting this. image >>

you can do so by telling us how you picked him up, cause I do not practice in dealing
    with people just cause they are members here.

we used to be able to extend open arms to everyone way back, but those of us
    around for ever have learned one way or the other.

key word here: learn

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

has it really come to that???

LOLimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

has it really come to that???

LOLimage >>

Credible word of mouth in this business goes a long way, if you hadn't already figured that out.

pontiacinf: He contacted me directly through my website. I found out about him here subsequently on a hunch. Too bad I gave him the benefit of my doubt. I found out tonight that another member has received a check from him that may go the same route.

• Options

<< <i>has it really come to that???

LOLimage >>

Credible word of mouth in this business goes a long way, if you hadn't already figured that out.

pontiacinf: He contacted me directly through my website. I found out about him here subsequently on a hunch. Too bad I gave him the benefit of my doubt. I found out tonight that another member has received a check from him that may go the same route. >>

sorry you had to deal with this, make a note, and even though sometimes you just
    want to conduct business and be fair, others have worked hard to make this close
    to impossible so learn and move on.

I will make sure (as im in CT) people I know are aware of him.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>I'm only out a returned check fee and a reasonable sale. Just trying to be a good neighbor in this community by posting this. image >>

Good to hear. At leat it's not $400 or something like that.
  • Options
    The amount involved isn't the main focus here. It is understanding that there are scammers and deadbeats out there, and they have no place here.

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I do not see the criminal part of this deal. You still have the merchandise and his check. You want to file charges over the 3 dollar fee the bank charged you?
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    I think just getting a heads-up from someone should be helpful. When you hear of more than one person having a problem with a customer, why would you want to give him a chance? I'm glad you hadn't sent his package.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not see the criminal part of this deal. You still have the merchandise and his check. You want to file charges over the 3 dollar fee the bank charged you? >>

In New York, passing a bad check is a misdemeanor, subject to a fine and/or up to 1 year jail sentence upon conviction.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

lmfao

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Amazing that some members want coindeuce to convince them he is only trying to put out an alertimage---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think just getting a heads-up from someone should be helpful. When you hear of more than one person having a problem with a customer, why would you want to give him a chance? I'm glad you hadn't sent his package. >>

Agreed, it's good to give a heads up because someone else might get burned if they ship before finding out the check is bad.
    Ed
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most places in the US, writing a bad check is a criminal offense. I think that's part of UCC. Funny how times have changed, I don't think a bad wire transfer is a crime but a bad check is...you send a bad $10 check and get a year, bounce a $1Mn ACH and it's pound sand.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I do not see the criminal part of this deal. You still have the merchandise and his check. You want to file charges over the 3 dollar fee the bank charged you? >>

In New York, passing a bad check is a misdemeanor, subject to a fine and/or up to 1 year jail sentence upon conviction. >>

Read the fine print. It used to be if it's for payment of services or merchandise & you still have the merchandise.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

What bank charges only $3 for a bounced check?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>

What bank charges only $3 for a bounced check? >>

Yeah exactly, it's like $20-$30.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

In New York, passing a bad check is a misdemeanor, subject to a fine and/or up to 1 year jail sentence upon conviction. >>

Read the fine print. It used to be if it's for payment of services or merchandise & you still have the merchandise. >>

NEW YORK PENAL CODE, ARTICLE 170.05:
    § 170.05 Forgery in the third degree.
    A person is guilty of forgery in the third degree when, with intent to
    defraud, deceive or injure another, he falsely makes, completes or
    alters a written instrument.
    Forgery in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor.

I stand by my prior comments. The law makes no exception for whether a transaction is fulfilled or not. The intent to defraud, deceive or injure another(financially) is the key element here.

• Options
    May bank only charges me 3 bucks for a returned check.

I do not doubt any of this that the op posted, i would just be amazed if any DA would do anything about it giving the situation. I assume this was not a face to face transaction without ID verification. How many times was the check presented. I quit taking checks for rent years ago due to the DA not doing anything for me that i felt was worthwhile.

State farm bounced a 30 dollar check to me a few weeks back. They claim they accidently issued 2 checks for 30 bucks each and placed a stop payment on the wrong one. They paid the 3 buck fee when they re issued the checkimage
    Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I stand by my prior comments. The law makes no exception for whether a transaction is fulfilled or not. The intent to defraud, deceive or injure another(financially) is the key element here. >>

The passing of a bad check does not necessarily violate the law. Intent to defraud would have to be proven. Many have bounced checks, but never with an intent to defraud.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe its just an error.... I agree this thread has some potential

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

Writing a bad check, knowing he had no funds (granted I am assuming he knew he didn't have the funds in his account), is fraud. Also, if you write a check, it becomes a debt. He now owes the OP whatever that check amount was written for.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe coinduece is not alone. Another forum member told me about this same lurker and is waiting to post after his situation runs its course a little further.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options

<< <i>

Writing a bad check, knowing he had no funds (granted I am assuming he knew he didn't have the funds in his account), is fraud. Also, if you write a check, it becomes a debt. He now owes the OP whatever that check amount was written for. >>

If he owes that amount he should have possession of the goods.

How much was this hot check for?
    Mark

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

"If he owes that amount he should have possession of the goods." WTF? The bad check was for an initial installment on a layaway, so the buyer was not even close to having possession of the goods. Furthermore, he lied about having supposedly sent the initial payment earlier. This check was supposed to replace the "lost in the mail" check.

"How much was this hot check for?" >>

Not gonna post that here. And re: your earlier baseless post about your DA - the DA in my County has a very aggressive program for helping merchants that have received bad checks. And it doesn't hurt that I was a college classmate of the current County Sheriff, who I was a workmate of when I was employed as a Deputy Sheriff. image

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the warning. I consider threads like this to be a public service announcement.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the warning. I consider threads like this to be a public service announcement. >>

Thanks
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 9:00PM

My bank whacks ME $15 if YOUR check bounces.

In retrospect, I did sell this gentleman a raw toned Morgan and his payment was good. I believe that deal was done before this thread started. There is one member here who had/has received payment in full IIRC, but Mr. Capstick never asked him to ship the coin/s. I expect that he is the one to whom ThePennyLady referred.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also think the DA takes into account how many times it has happened. A woman who used to work for me once got arrested in my office and taken to jail because of multiple occurrences.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    $35 in CALI/ BANK OF AMERICROOKS
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Writing a bad check, knowing he had no funds (granted I am assuming he knew he didn't have the funds in his account), is fraud. Also, if you write a check, it becomes a debt. He now owes the OP whatever that check amount was written for. >>

If he owes that amount he should have possession of the goods.

How much was this hot check for? >>

Actually, no matter what the check is for, writing a check is creating a debt. If the debt is not paid by a clear check, you still owe the debt. Now, if you pay the debt and then don't get whatever you paid for in return, then that's a completely different matter. The point is, writing a check creates a debt. Even though checks may say they are void after 6 months or whatever the time period is, a debt is a debt. It can be 20 years later. Statute of Limitations also is very flaky on debts created by writing checks, as well. ESPECIALLY when writing a check to a business. On top of that, when it's a B2B deal, the B that gives the check basically owes the receiving B a debt no matter what.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a web of lies regarding shipment of checks and who I was working with the check I received from him bounced today.

I had worked with this individual a couple years ago. This time he contacts me with a different name, but the check came from Tim Capstick. Huge red flag!!! I deposited the check just so it would bounce and I could end my dealings with him. The kicker here is the communicationa dn name he was using was his sons. So now if I file complaints he drug his son into it also and he wanted things shipped to his work, a fire station. Just not good thinking.

Avoid this person. He does not post here, so will likely contact you through a webpage.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh great.

drag the kid AND the fire station into it.

sounds like a real nice guy.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember a few years ago another forum member was contacted by his wife to try and clear his debts. Sounds like some major instability.

I had not and was going going to ship he coin he wanted until I held that check for a while. No loss for me. The bank fee is worth having a solid you bounce checks I don't deal with you. I should have cut him off earlier but was giving him benefit of the doubt.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>oh great.

drag the kid AND the fire station into it.

sounds like a real nice guy. >>

No, it appears that the individual is afflicted with mental illness. A person who remains in denial of suffering mental illness is not a nice person. There is a pattern of this irrational behavior going back several years, as reported by other forum members.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file