Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic News Renewal

I got a letter in the mail from Numismatic News that I can renew for $39.99.
I go to thier renewal website page and it's $39.99.

If I go to thier regular subscription page, it's $29.99! What a way to treat current subscribers.
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Now that's a good way to keep your customers close while your competitor keeps them closer image
  • Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    I paid $60 for a subscription to Coinworld over a month ago and have yet to receive my first issue. A sign of things to come??
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure I will reup for the NN next time. Not seeing a lot of value. If Julian wasn't publishing in there it would have been gone awhile ago.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I go to thier regular subscription page, it's $29.99! What a way to treat current subscribers. >>

Subscription renewals are like airlines and hotels. They have multiple prices and will get you for whatever they can.

A few years ago, I decided to let my sub to Money Magazine go. I think they wanted $25 or so for a year. About 2 months after it stopped, I got a renewal offer for 9.99, so I renewed.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped subscribing...not enough new information to make it worthwhile.....became 'bird cage liner'... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    If you are a member of the ANA, you can renew/subscribe to Numismatic News for $25 per year. Visit the ANA website to see what other deals they have in partnership with Krause Publications.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    NN is not worth the price. There commercial advertising has some of the worst in the business reputation wise. There classified ads are dominated by a few people at least back 4 or 5 years. They are not at all a valuable resource in my view. I have not subscribed for 5 years or more. image
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dropped my subscription years ago. I usually read thru it in less than 5 minutes-nothing much of value within. I'm somewhat surprised it's still around.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy both NN and CW and at less than a dollar an issue it's a cheap pastime compared to what a movie ticket costs these days.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been getting Numismatic News for years now. The huge pile in my basement is getting pretty tall.

This and Coins magazine let me have some light reading that keeps me entertained.

if you want the latest information you are better off on here.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More ads than actual content, IMHO. I stopped getting it.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    good luck , should get one a week if your lucky your get one every two weeks !
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are a member of the ANA, you can renew/subscribe to Numismatic News for $25 per year. Visit the ANA website to see what other deals they have in partnership with Krause Publications. >>

...decent deal. i too got in on it. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    just renewed for three years at 94.99.
    Funny thing is, some weeks I get none and other weeks I get three.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...weird thing. when i renewed through the ANA my issues come sooner now. in fact they come sooner than CW! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>More ads than actual content, IMHO. I stopped getting it. >>

Do you suppose the printing and distribution costs are free?

My wife used to publish a local magazine with 30-60,000 readers. It cost her $10,000 a month just for printing and distribution. Collation, Pagination and costs associated with getting it ready for the printer were not included in that 10 grand.

I like advertisers in Coin Mags and Numismatic Publications since they make the price of the product much cheaper for subscribers.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Tootawl October 31, 2011

I got a letter in the mail from Numismatic News that I can renew for $39.99.
    I go to thier renewal website page and it's $39.99.

If I go to thier regular subscription page, it's $29.99! What a way to treat current subscribers.

I cannot speak to the letter in question but I know that I receive, at least once a month, a phony
    notice that this or that publication is about to expire. These con artists are pretty good at what
    they do and one has to be careful. Coin World has had trouble with these people but I am not
    sure about Numismatic News.

A nice example of this came last week, this one by telephone. It seems my National Geographic
    subscription was about to expire and the price would be going to $75/year but I could save by
    sending only $59. I let this pest go on for a while, not telling him that I had just renewed for 2012
    at $34.

I suggested that he could give me his telephone number so I could look into the matter and call
    him back. He refused, saying that this special offer was only good as long as there was a call
    being made. When the connection was broken, he explained, the price would be $75. I then
    told him what I knew to be the case and there was an immediate click.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file