Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are your thoughts on this guy who bought a Morgan from me on Ebay?

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the images were very clear and yet he states........

We received the coin today. It has a thin line across Liberty's eye/ face where the coin is not toned. I have not previously seen a full obverse toned Morgan that is toned like this.
Do you have any idea what caused this? It bothers me a bit. Thanks

I replied with the few possible reasons for the toning "streak" or lack of toning. I also stated if he doesn't like it he can return it.
I shows up in todays mail.

In my opinion this may be a bidder you may want to consider for your banned list.
Its a total waste of time in listing with clear images, one could see the coin very clearly, but that's just meimage

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'white line' is very clear from your Ebay pictures, because of this reason.....

This buyer sounds like a complete jerk (or idiot).

I'd recommend banning him.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have not previously seen a full obverse toned Morgan that is toned like this. >>

apparently he didn't even see this one.

pretty lame.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Looks fine to me,nice coin.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    I agree, when pictures are that clear, the buyer is wasting your time (and his time) and energy in listing, packing, driving to post office, fooling around witrh the refund process, etc. etc. etc. I have banned buyers when I thought my pictures were VERY clear and the buyers returned it for something that was clear in the photos.
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    It is clear as day exactly what the coin looks like in your pics (they are really good!)
    That's really annoying...I wouldn't even offer a refund (unless I had to).
    Nice morgan!
  • Options
    The pic appears clear but im wondering what the previous last buyer means by "pics are a tad optimistic ?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds to me like some newbie trying to play the "toning game" whose coming up with unfounded excuses on the toning vs the price he bid yet is totally oblivious to the fact that PCGS Graded it as NT. With a + no less.

If he returns it, block him as he'll regret it since you always offer some very nicely toned coins that folks are obviously willing to bid premium money for.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    A perfect example of a grade A idiot....
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sound like someone that's looking for a MS67 Morgan with that look at a MS64 budget and then nitpicking the host coins surfaces.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>It is clear as day exactly what the coin looks like in your pics (they are really good!)
    That's really annoying...I wouldn't even offer a refund (unless I had to).
    Nice morgan! >>

Todd took the Images, which came out perfect!
    I offered a refund just to keep my good status.

Oh well up on EBay again

• Options

<< <i>The pic appears clear but im wondering what the previous last buyer means by "pics are a tad optimistic ? >>

Aren't those comments referring to a different coin?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I am about 95% in the OP's camp. Great picture, great coin and a picky buyer that can't tell quality from, well you fill in the blank. Perhaps the buyer thought they paid too much, ran out of money, or actually found something about the coin they didn't like. The OP's auction allowed for a return priv, and the buyer took advantage. Hopefully the buyer will do what's necessary to cancel the transaction so the OP doesn't incur FV fees.

This is a total waste of the OP's time and I'd be totally annoyed too if I were her, but it's just the way it is. I don't plan to ban the buyer for following the rules. If the buyer instead started trying to renegotiate the price, I'd ban them in a heartbeat.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The pic appears clear but im wondering what the previous last buyer means by "pics are a tad optimistic ? >>

Aren't those comments referring to a different coin? >>

Yes , it is a different coin , i wondered what he meant by that or if perhaps the buyer mentioned why he felt the pics were optimistic.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Different coin and one should remember that these pictures are clear but are still taken to accentuate the look of the coin and the toning. Depending on how the person looks at the coin, in hand, by holding/tilting/etc, it may or may not *pop* as much. I have had toners like that. Nothing wrong with it, but that is what it is.

Also, sometimes lighting/angle may be needed to show toning but they may "hide" some small marks. Not intentional but, again, it is what it is, when you are trying to focus and show one thing, sometimes something else is not shown as much. So, hopefully, one can agree with the TPGS' grade in the holder as it really is still a "sight unseen" until in hand.

Steph's got a great eye and is always super upfront and honest, so, this "tad optimistic" is too unclear as to toning or grade, and I would trust her on comparing photo to coin in hand.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Good explanation Bochiman , thanks , what i was kinda driving at is i wonder if this buyer had noticed that feedback and thought it worthwhile to play a little feedback game.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell him the rare, then line is what earned the coin a +

Can't block the buyer without an ebay name. Out 'em.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Different coin and one should remember that these pictures are clear but are still taken to accentuate the look of the coin and the toning. Depending on how the person looks at the coin, in hand, by holding/tilting/etc, it may or may not *pop* as much. I have had toners like that. Nothing wrong with it, but that is what it is.

Also, sometimes lighting/angle may be needed to show toning but they may "hide" some small marks. Not intentional but, again, it is what it is, when you are trying to focus and show one thing, sometimes something else is not shown as much. So, hopefully, one can agree with the TPGS' grade in the holder as it really is still a "sight unseen" until in hand.

Steph's got a great eye and is always super upfront and honest, so, this "tad optimistic" is too unclear as to toning or grade, and I would trust her on comparing photo to coin in hand. >>

I could not agree with you more!

Photographing toned coins requires some special handy work since the toning may not always jump right off the coin with out a little tilt or rotate in the light.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I thought the images were very clear and yet he states........
    We received the coin today. It has a thin line across Liberty's eye/ face where the coin is not toned. I have not previously seen a full obverse toned Morgan that is toned like this.

I replied with the few possible reasons for the toning "streak" or lack of toning. I also stated if he doesn't like it he can return it.
    In my opinion this may be a bidder you may want to consider for your banned list.
    Its a total waste of time in listing with clear images, one could see the coin very clearly, but that's just meimage
    Thoughts? >>

Thoughts? OK. You offered a 7 day return period. The buyer (presumably) returned the coin within the allotted time. You gave a refund. Transaction over.
    I personally think the coin looks fine and the buyer was an idiot.
    Nevertheless, you DID advertise that you would take returns.
    Why get steamed up when an idiot returns you your coin?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Thoughts? OK. You offered a 7 day return period. The buyer (presumably) returned the coin within the allotted time. You gave a refund. Transaction over.
    Why get steamed up when an idiot returns you your coin? >>

Agree, you said return it if unhappy and he did. He played by your rules so why are you upset? Its the cost of doing business and very few peoples time is so precious.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thoughts? OK. You offered a 7 day return period. The buyer (presumably) returned the coin within the allotted time. You gave a refund. Transaction over.

Look again, his return policy is limited to items not as described.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the pics a lot, which appear to show with almost painful accuracy the hits and imperfections, both pre and post toning. Still, even with the marks, that coin is too nice for a 63 and with the nice toning, 64+ looks spot on.

Tom

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thoughts? OK. You offered a 7 day return period. The buyer (presumably) returned the coin within the allotted time. You gave a refund. Transaction over.

Look again, his return policy is limited to items not as described. >>

In his initial post, he stated "I also stated if he doesn't like it he can return it".
    Anyway, the buyer thought it not as described, erroneously perhaps.
    Personally I think the coin looks fine.
  • Options
    I have found over the years as my pictures have gotten better that I get more complaints and in some cases more returns. Ebay buyers have become spoiled so if they buy a coin they expect it to be much better than the image in hand. Up till a few years ago you could rountinely buy great coins for half their market value due to most sellers not being able to image worth a darn...now with better seller images folks are buying coins for prices closer to fair market value and some do not like it. I also get a lot of complaints about grades when selling PCGS coins, because dealers want to buy coins from me and have a in hand experience on Ebay but since an image only captures one specific look of the coin it's just not possible. Don't get me started on the folks who send beautiful coins back becuase of a small scratch or mark on the holder....the coins mean nothing these days...it's all about pristine plastic lol

While frustrating and seemingly a waste of time for us sellers, standing behind the coins we sell regardless of the reason for the return is always the best policy. image
  • Options

<< <i>

Thoughts? >>

Who's says or presumes I am upsetimage

I never have a problem or get upset, believe you me.........when I get pissed upset or something bothers me, the affected party WIL KNOWimage

I am saying....and posted this as this to let everyone know that this may be a person you may want to block as he is trying to break into the toning game
    and obviously does not know what he is doingimage

This coin is a very easy resale, it just wastes my time and wanted to warn everyone so it doesn't not happen to themimage

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Steph's got a great eye and is always super upfront and honest, so, this "tad optimistic" is too unclear as to toning or grade, and I would trust her on comparing photo to coin in hand. >>

Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thoughts? >>

Who's says or presumes I am upsetimage >>

Since you came here to vent over this transaction, I would presume you aren't exactly jumping with joy.
  • Options

This is referring to another coin auction, This buyer never contacted me. I read his feedback and wrote him.
    I asked him if he wanted to return his coin. He wrote back....no way he wants to keep it that if I thought it sounded like he was un happy
    he would change his feedback.

I told him that he cannot change what is written but asked again to return the coin for full refund. Again he wrote back......Its a keeper.

The coin is question is this on and again a beautiful toned coin and IMO he bought it at a VERY reasonable price. MS64+ none the less.

Link to auction here

Images of that coin. again Todd's and perfect pic's!!

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    A big grin, a laughing, and TWO smileys in the previous post?

Oh yeah! Stephanie is DEFINITELY upset. Upset bigtime! (Not to mention the "believe you me"! And misspelling the word "will" is a clear indicator of further agitation).image
  • Options

<< <i>

Since you came here to vent over this transaction, I would presume you aren't exactly jumping with joy. >>

Never Presume or Assume.....you know what that meansimageimage

Again....the cliff note lesson would be to take away from this post.......... be aware of this guy because it may happen to youimage
    Unless wasted time and listing is of no or little importanceimage

Stefanie

• Options
    Hi,

What just happened? I mean no offense, but the auction photograph just changed? I was looking at a photo on eBay showing the "line" - now the auction photo does not show any line and looks a heck of a lot nicer?? What did I do wrong?

Eric

Edited to add - did a link change or smoething? It must be a mistake I made - one was $320 and one was $427.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you find the bidder from the OP? That image shows everything on that coin. Maybe he forgot to look at the images.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>A big grin, a laughing, and TWO smileys in the previous post?

Oh yeah! Stephanie is DEFINITELY upset. Upset bigtime! (Not to mention the "believe you me"! And misspelling the word "will" is a clear indicator of further agitation).image >>

Truth be told I deeply feel like doing this to the buyerimageimageimage

• Options

<< <i>Where did you find the bidder from the OP? That image shows everything on that coin. Maybe he forgot to look at the images. >>

Na, he saw everything. I think either he tried playing the flipping game or is truly ignorant regarding toning.
    Mayne Ebay buyers are like this. A few weeks back I had one guy ask if he can purchase another PCGS toned Morgan, carck and submit to NGC.
    If it comes back as AT can he return itimage

I posted that thread a few weeks back

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear, excellent representaive pics, nice toning and a plus to boot.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Hi,

the link in the first post leads to one 83-O, and the link a few posts back goes to another 83-O sold same day etc. I think a link is messed up?

Eric

Edited to add: I see - sorry. I imagine 2 coins so very much the same in date and grade and appearance could cause some confusion. They closed 20 minutes apart. Is it possible the buyer was confused? I was for a few minutes.
  • Options

<< <i>Tell him the rare, then line is what earned the coin a +

Can't block the buyer without an ebay name. Out 'em. >>

I removed the buyers name for reasons being of some unscrupulous members here.
    Enough said

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Stephanie, dont let it get to you, very bad for your health. Take a break if you have to because these type people will always haunt you on e-bay--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Since you came here to vent over this transaction, I would presume you aren't exactly jumping with joy. >>

Never Presume or Assume.....you know what that meansimageimage >>

One of the funniest moments of the classic "Odd Couple" show.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the coin didn't live up to buyer's expectations for whatever reasons. Since you accept returns, he decided to send the coin back (I assume) within the allotted time period for a refund. I don't see any issues with the way buyer behaved and personally would not block him/her from my other auctions. One of my regular customers now started his relationship with me by returning a $600 coin because he didn't like the toning in-hand. He was happy with the way I handled the return and added me to his favorite sellers. Now every time I do a large batch of listings, he usually ends up winning at least 1-2 coins and spends multiples of what the original cost of the return was.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for the white lines, but they are what they are and appear clearly in the photos. If he decided he does not like it then a return is fine. I see no need for blocking.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he should of looked before bidding.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1.

Photos rarely do even untoned coins justice in-hand, and when color is introduced this becomes even more problematic. I can't really fault the buyer or seller here, although I disagree strongly about blocking this bidder for essentially not liking a coin-in hand. Also, let's remember Steph did offer to take the return, so it seems a bit disingenuous to ban him for following the plainly stated rules for returns which were reiterated in correspondence.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am saying....and posted this as this to let everyone know that this may be a person you may want to block as he is trying to break into the toning game
    and obviously does not know what he is doingimage

This coin is a very easy resale, it just wastes my time and wanted to warn everyone so it doesn't not happen to themimage >>

How do you know the buyer is "trying to break into the toning game", or was that tongue-in-cheek like saying he "obviously does not know what he is doing"?
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>How do you know the buyer is "trying to break into the toning game", or was that tongue-in-cheek like saying he "obviously does not know what he is doing"? >>

I know because I consulted with my very expensive lawyer
    And his 8 Ball says....... " most likely". image

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely buyer's remorse. The conversation went something like this:

Wife: A package came in the mail today and I opened it. There was a coin and an invoice that said you paid nearly $500 for this. What the %$#* were you thinking? Christmas is just around the corner and you just spent half of the Christmas money on this. You better $#@&amp; hope they accept returns.

Coin Collector: Yes dear, can I be excused from the dinner table now?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

The coin is clearly pictured. The lines could have been caused by anything, from scratches to uneven toning patterns. He beat out 12 bidders and got a PCGS 64+ for $472. He thinks he can repeat that performance? Then ban him and let him try somewhere else.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish all eBay Auction photos were as good as yours! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most likely buyer's remorse. The conversation went something like this:

Wife: A package came in the mail today and I opened it. There was a coin and an invoice that said you paid nearly $500 for this. What the %$#* were you thinking? Christmas is just around the corner and you just spent half of the Christmas money on this. You better $#@&amp; hope they accept returns.

Coin Collector: Yes dear, can I be excused from the dinner table now? >>

Now that's funny!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    If i spend close to 500 bucks on something and do not like it in hand i would return it. You have nice pics, a plus graded pcgs coin but it must not have been what the buyer was expecting. It is just the cost of doing business.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of those times when Coinsarenotfun. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file