Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is Halloween and my birthday post a scary eagle coin!!

I am 38 today - post some scary gold or silver or copper eagle coin.
MT

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

image >>

That is amazing! What is it?
  • Whatever it is, and it is really nice, it looks closer to 1860 than 1792. What could it be?

Eric
  • and, of course, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes,
    Eric image

<< <i>That is amazing! What is it? >>

Thanks... Here ya go...

What is the history on the great piece you started this post with?

It’s the infamous 1792 eagle wings full spread on a full shield design struck by Montroville W. Dickeson, M.D. in the early 1860’s. As the story goes Dickeson obtained a pair of dies created by early mint employee Adam Eckfeldt. These dies were never used for coinage or pattern purposes, and were assuredly sold as scrap metal by the Mint. Dickeson apparently believed the die was connected with the 1792 Getz or Birch cents. Dickeson thereby had a reverse die made which read "TRIAL PIECE/DESIGNED FOR/UNITED STATES/CENT./1792." and struck his tokens. The dies where actually not for the 1792 Cent as Dickeson believed but embossing dies for stamping revenue paper in 1816. JC1792-3/P6015 - Breen 1380 six examples are known to have been struck on copper planchets. Researching the Dickeson’s I have not found an example of this exact variety cross any major coin auction since the Abe Kosoff era.

A bit more info on Montroville Dickeson from a Stack's blog-

Among our favorite “characters” in 19th century numismatics is Montroville W. Dickeson, M.D. We have mentioned him a number of times over the years in various studies, including in the book, American Numismatics before the Civil War. However, he remains generally unknown to most numismatists today, and is absent from the ANA Hall of Fame.

As were many other important figures early in our hobby, Dickeson was a man of many interests—multi-tasking we would say today, but with regard to different pursuits. While he was a numismatist, Dickeson was also a medical doctor, an archaeologist, an expert in Indian culture, and a Philadelphia landlord (one of his tenants was E.B. Mason, Jr., the coin collector). Today, Dickeson is probably better remembered for his excavation of Indian mounds in the prairie states, than he is for his numismatic contributions.

In the realm of coin collecting, his American Numismatical Manual, published by Lippincott in 1859, was large in size, comprehensive in scope, and illustrated in color (with tinted, embossed plates). At this time there was very little for Dickeson to draw upon in the way of earlier published information. An Historical Account of American Coinage, by John Hickox had been published in 1858, but only in an edition of 205 copies, mainly to historical societies, and of a very small size. Other than that, nothing, except for some scattered auction catalogues, treatises on medals, and Joseph B. Felt’s 1839 book on coin and paper money of Massachusetts.

Dickeson made some assumptions, some of which are humorous today. For example, he suggested that the letter C on the reverse of a gold coin meant that it was made in California. Today, we all know that the letter signifies the Charlotte Mint. Some coins that we know are rare today were listed without comment, and others he called rare are now thought to be, if not common, at least only scarce. Still, in the main, the reading of the American Numismatical Manualis very educational and informative. Some related discussion of this appears in our current “Spotlight” feature on our Website. The book went through subsequent editions in 1860 and 1865, at which time the title appeared slightly differently as American Numismatic Manual. As the coin hobby had started in a large way in 1857 and 1858, terminology was still in a state of flux. What we now call numismatics in 2007 was often called numismatology in the late 1850s. We use the adjective numismatic to describe something, such as a numismatic book, but numismatical was certainly not out of keeping with practice in 1859. Dickeson died on April 14, 1882, at the age of 69.

Today, it is easy enough to become acquainted with Dickeson and his book by submitting a “want list” to any leading dealer in out of print numismatic publications or, for that matter, searching on the Internet. The original press runs for the three editions must have comprised many thousands of copies. The typical example encountered is apt to have clean contents, but with the brown cloth cover sometimes scuffed or a bit loose. Such a book is an excellent addition to a numismatic library.
  • holy smokes my guess of 1860 was pretty close image

Eric
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Well, I want one image thanks for the info!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boo. happy birthday. Im expecting the first grandson any day now....my daughter is hoping he wont pop out today. One holiday per day,, thank you

imageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday.... Cheers, RickO
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday! Must have been interesting with Halloween as your b-day. Cool though. imageimage

Any good stories from Birthdays Past that you can share...about having a birthday on Halloween?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage

Happy Birthday to a fellow Scorpio!! image
    1837 Half Cent of Pure Copper HT-73 / Low-49

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    Becky
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HB2U!

Here's a "ghost eagle" on a Seated dollar.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thank you guys - I am at the Captain Grant's Inn in Preston for a couple days with my family, really cool place - what a great surprise present.

Stories about my past birthdays wowowo......maybe I should not tell here on this forum.....like that time in Prague back in 1991...wowowowo image

MT
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here ia a ghost Eagle:

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file