Home Metal Detecting
Options

Oct 24, 2011: 1823 Nova Scotia Half Penny Token and odd-design tombac button

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got out to a field today that's produced some older coins and also two Canadian coppers previously. After nearly two hours barely a thing showed up. Then out popped the tombac with the ugly design! About 15 minutes later the copper disc appeared. Couldn't recognize it right off so I assumed it was Canadian. Turns out to be an 1823 Nova Scotia Half Penny Token. Surprised how many Canadian coppers have came out of here.

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are certainly unique finds..... one of the reasons MD'ing is so much fun.... never know what might pop out of the ground. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the thistle- I've got an 1843 Nova Scotia penny token (holey) sittin' right here on the desk. What a rush it must be to dig one.

I've found similar tombac or tin flat buttons (spun-backs, some of 'em are called, I think), and one or two have engraved designs on the front, but nothing like that. I do have one with a little bouquet of flowers, but those were done with a punch rather than engraved, I guess. For all I know, maybe your button could've been done with a punch, too, or do you suppose that was hand engraved? It's quite an unusual geometric pattern. Certainly contemporary with the coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, so old. We don't have that opportunity (really old stuff) here in the West.

Nice finds.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are certainly unique finds..... one of the reasons MD'ing is so much fun.... never know what might pop out of the ground. Cheers, RickO >>

your so right about that rick. you never do know