Home Sports Talk
Options

Like I have been saying all year.....The Lions are "NOT" that good!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you don't "give" them 21 points in the 4th quarter......they can't win!image

They won't even make the playoffs. They certainly won't win their division.....that belongs to the Packers. And I can't see them being a wild card at 8 and 8, which is the best they can probably do.

Lions fans can come down to earth and reality anytime now.image

Comments

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    They've beat 4 fair teams in Tampa, KC, Chicago, and Dallas, all .500 or better teams. They lost to a 5-1 and 4-3 team, both in closely contested games. I think they still have some work to do, especially now that their RB situation is in trouble. But it could be worse. They could be the Cowboys. image
  • Options
    I'll take the Cowboys...thank you very much.image We could very easily win the NFC East and make the playoff's.

And the 5-1 team they lost to......their 1 loss......was to guess who.....that's right Dallas!image

So yes...I'd much rather be Dallas!image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may not be as good as some thought, but I wouldn't write them after losing at the last second to a 5-1 team (SF) and to the Falcons.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Did the Lions play Dallas yet this year? I can't quite remember.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Did the Lions play Dallas yet this year? I can't quite remember. >>

Did they play one another yet? Hmmm ... not sure.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    >>>Did the Lions play Dallas yet this year? I can't quite remember. <<<

If you are proud of that game...you are wacko....without Romo's 3 picks you lose that game big time.

I just wish we got to play you again!image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the Lions bandwagon but will agree they havnt been looking great as of late, losing Best was a tough hit and the lack of a secondary receiver doesnt help much either it seems.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll take the Cowboys...thank you very much.image We could very easily win the NFC East and make the playoff's.

And the 5-1 team they lost to......their 1 loss......was to guess who.....that's right Dallas!image

So yes...I'd much rather be Dallas!image >>

We? I didn't know you were on the roster? image Dallas lost to Detroit, plain and simple. You can pick and choose the plays you liked in the game, but when combined with the rest, it still equals a loss.

• Options
    If Buckner was in the dugout where he belonged, the Red Siox win the 1986 World Series...

If Norwood's kick isn't wide right, the Bills don't go down in history as the only team to lose 4 straight Super Bowls..

I could keep typing all day...sports is filled "if this, or if that.."

Sorry for the Sox reference, Paul...you guys made it up anyway..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    The Lions really aren't that good, but that doesn't change the fact that Barry was far superior to Emmitt, and for that matter, Rafael couldn't carry Benny's jockstrap.
  • Options
    The list of running backs better than Barry Sanders is too long to list again!

And Emmit IS on that list!
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I jokingly started the thread on the sports forum saying something about the Lions being Superbowl bound before the season started. I honestly figured their record would be 1-6 at this point to I am surprised. But the truth is, they have no running game, they can't stop the run on D and now I hear that Stafford is hurt. Oh well....it was exciting to see what they did the first 5 games anyway! image
  • Options

<< <i>If Buckner was in the dugout where he belonged, the Red Siox win the 1986 World Series...

If Norwood's kick isn't wide right, the Bills don't go down in history as the only team to lose 4 straight Super Bowls..

I could keep typing all day...sports is filled "if this, or if that.."

Sorry for the Sox reference, Paul...you guys made it up anyway..image >>

HaHa Tim, its all good I owe ya one now, no biggie image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next week the Lions can either show some moxey and get back into the win column, or implode.

They play Denver in Denver.

Trivia note* The first game between an NFL team and an AFL team was about 45 years ago. Denver played Detroit (I believe in Detroit) and the expected slaughter of the inferior AFL team by the superior NFL team did not happen. Denver won.

Maybe next week will be a case of "deja vu" all over againimage

What I really would like to see is over the next two weeks is all of the teams in the AFC West go into the midway point of the season with identical 4-4 records. It could happen. As of today the Broncos are 2-4, the Chiefs are 3-3, the Bolts are 4-2 and the Raiders are 4-3 (with a bye coming up).
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Buckner was in the dugout where he belonged, the Red Siox win the 1986 World Series...
    >>

Not true. The score was already tied at that point. Buckner bailed out Schiraldi and Stanley, the REAL goats of Game 6. Goat #3 was Clemens, who could not throw with a boo boo on his thumb.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Goat #3 was Clemens, who could not throw with a boo boo on his thumb. >>

Clemens, several of his teammates, and pretty much everybody besides John McNamara, have all said that story is a lie. There's no way in hell he asked out of the game with a blister. McNamara made that up.

Tabe
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Exactly how is Clemens the goat-7 IP, 8Ks, 2R (1 earned)?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

Not true. The score was already tied at that point. >>

why does ALMOST everyone forget that?

sorry to get OT
  • Options
    That Buckmer error was so demoralizing it propelled the Mets to win game 7 (and game 6, obviously).

So yes, the game was tied, but in terms of significance that play was bigger than huge...for the outcome of both games 6 and 7..

Yes, Schiraldi and Stanley were was awful, too.

Can't blame Clemens, though..and I can't see him asking out of a game either with just a blister.

• Options
    Their running backs went down. I can't imagine how good they'd be if they had Leshoure and Best.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That Buckmer error was so demoralizing it propelled the Mets to win game 7 (and game 6, obviously).

So yes, the game was tied, but in terms of significance that play was bigger than huge...for the outcome of both games 6 and 7..

Yes, Schiraldi and Stanley were was awful, too.

Can't blame Clemens, though..and I can't see him asking out of a game either with just a blister. >>

Ah.....memories of a better time. I can still see Clemens crying in the dugout image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I was at that game. It was amazing. Here is my ticket:

So the winning run is at second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson. (A) little roller up along first... behind the bag! It gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight, and the Mets win it! ”

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Goat #3 was Clemens, who could not throw with a boo boo on his thumb. >>

Clemens, several of his teammates, and pretty much everybody besides John McNamara, have all said that story is a lie. There's no way in hell he asked out of the game with a blister. McNamara made that up.

Tabe >>

If that is true, then McNamara replaces Clemens as goat #3.

Yeah, I am being a tad harsh on Clemens, which I tend to do after he fattened up on beer and fried chicken in 1996, only to return to Cy Young form in Toronto by working out like a maniac (with some help it turned out) just to spite the Red Sox.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If that is true, then McNamara replaces Clemens as goat #3.

Yeah, I am being a tad harsh on Clemens, which I tend to do after he fattened up on beer and fried chicken in 1996, only to return to Cy Young form in Toronto by working out like a maniac (with some help it turned out) just to spite the Red Sox. >>

Jeff Pearlman in his book on Clemens pretty much destroys the idea that Clemens asked out of the game. Pearlman kills Clemens throughout the book - in a fair, even-handed way believe it or not - but he's on Clemens' side on this one.

Tabe
  • Options
    Don't forget all the "What if's" used for Barry over Emmit
  • Options
    Doug,

Where were you 25 years ago today at midnight?? image

• Options
    I am the self-appointed "Lions Hater who lives in the Detroit area" and I would like to chime in here....

As a person who roots for chaos, bonehead losses, and mob-mentality fans I must say that I have been quite disappointed with their 5-0 start this year. I have been fielding calls from know-it-all family and friends trying to rub my face in the Lions success. Child, please!

I told them, "Any week now they will come back down to Earth. You'll see. They are NOT that good."

The past two weeks (and two losses) provided not one single taunting call from the Lions Lovers I know. Ha ha

Schwartz looks like a little punk-azz b!!tch for trying to run down Harbaugh. That was like a pin to the balloon head that Schwartz had. He thinks he is SOOOOO cool!
    They now have no running game...
    Stafford is mediocre at best...
    I think Suh retired after last season...

If they can get to the playoffs, I just hope they don't "take the wind" in any Overtime coin toss situations.

Lovin' my Motor City Fat Cats!
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KeepItWarm:

If the Lions lose this weekend to the lowly Broncos, I expect that the silence from your "know it all friends and family" [and other Lions fans in the Detroit metropolitan area] will be so great that you will be able to hear a tiny spider walk across a spider web in a room located in the basement of a home that is 20 miles away from where you areimage

Further, even if the Lions beat the Broncos, that win will mean little to the Lions since that is what is expected to happen.
  • Options

I pick the Broncos.image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Personally I believe the Lions are overrated this year although they are the best they've been in many years. Of course that isn't saying much. With as many first overall draft picks and top ten draft picks they've had the last eight years or so they're going to be decent by default.

Matt Stafford is a decent quarterback as long as his glass shoulder holds up. Can he finish this season playing every game without getting sidelined by a serious injury?

It also amazes me how many people all across the country have jumped on the "let's cheer for a Detroit team because I feel so bad for Detroit because the city's a hole and nobody wants to buy their overpriced crappy cars" sympathy bandwagon. The Red Wings seem to do okay.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Lions could easily be 3-4 or 6-1. Under normal circumstances they would likely be 3-4. They won two games that were miracle like. The SF game was a coin flip and the Niners made one more play then the Lions. It was a war. Atlanta was the better team on Sunday. It was also a war.

The Lions are still a year or two away from being beast-like but 9 to 10 wins this year are possible which wouldn't be all bad.

As for the Cowboys. They suck. The end. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>As for the Cowboys. They suck. The end. MJ >>

Yes, yes, oh God, yes.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget all the "What if's" used for Barry over Emmit >>

Barry doesn't need what if's. His performance on the field shows it already, both with the eyes, and with the tangible results he produced.

Just because Emmitt has the most all time yards, doesn't make him better. That is like saying Pete Rose was better than Babe Ruth, because Rose has the all time hit record.

This has been debated already in another thread where your homerism was the driving force behind your argument...that and your lack of understanding that it takes a team to win a championship, and that the criteria of championships won is a stupid measurement for an individual player.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options

<< <i>Personally I believe the Lions are overrated this year although they are the best they've been in many years. Of course that isn't saying much. With as many first overall draft picks and top ten draft picks they've had the last eight years or so they're going to be decent by default.

Matt Stafford is a decent quarterback as long as his glass shoulder holds up. Can he finish this season playing every game without getting sidelined by a serious injury?

It also amazes me how many people all across the country have jumped on the "let's cheer for a Detroit team because I feel so bad for Detroit because the city's a hole and nobody wants to buy their overpriced crappy cars" sympathy bandwagon. The Red Wings seem to do okay. >>

TextText

Have you/they driven a FORD lately???
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The list of running backs better than Barry Sanders is too long to list again!

And Emmit IS on that list! >>

You must be high.
  • Options
    You are the one high if you think Barry Sanders is better than anyone on that list!image
  • Options
    Emmitt Smith = LOL

South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options

<< <i>KeepItWarm:

If the Lions lose this weekend to the lowly Broncos, I expect that the silence from your "know it all friends and family" [and other Lions fans in the Detroit metropolitan area] will be so great that you will be able to hear a tiny spider walk across a spider web in a room located in the basement of a home that is 20 miles away from where you areimage

Further, even if the Lions beat the Broncos, that win will mean little to the Lions since that is what is expected to happen. >>

Every loss hurts when you're trying to push for a playoff spot. 6-2 going in to a bye week would set them up well for the second half of the season. 5-3, with 3 consecutive losses, would have them staring at a long uphill climb.
    I still believe this team is a year or two away from contending for playoff wins. They need OL, RB, and DB help. Losing Leshoure at the beginning of camp hurt.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    The Cowboys better step up tonight or it's going to be U-G-L-Y when they get back home.
  • Options
    I know there's 4 quarters, unlike Dallas, but don't think any amount of praying can save Teblow today.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know there's 4 quarters, unlike Dallas, but don't think any amount of praying can save Teblow today. >>

Yes, once again they are throwing the Christians to the Lions.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim Tebow is going to get one of his teammates killed. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    So after today's trainwreck, are the folks in Denver still wanting Tebow to be the starter next week?
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So after today's trainwreck, are the folks in Denver still wanting Tebow to be the starter next week? >>

Yes, because clearly that game was on him. He had all day to throw and the Denver defense brought back memories of the Steel Curtain.
  • Options
    Judging by the first half in Philly, it's the Cowboys who are "NOT" that good, LOL..

• Options

<< <i>Judging by the first half in Philly, it's the Cowboys who are "NOT" that good, LOL.. >>

• Options
    Well, you could have owned everything I have if you would have wanted to bet the score would be 24 zip eagles at the half.

Looks like we came in thinking it would be easy and forgot to show up. Doesn't make sense playing the Pats so good, beating them until the last march with 22 seconds left. And they are a GOOD team.

This will tie things up in the NFC East. I think we still have a shot at winning the East, BUT will have to play MUCH better to do it.
  • Options
    Dimeman, I admire your unwavering support for your team, but the Cowboys are just a below average football team and won't get any better, at least not this season..

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Congrats to Philly. They've had a rough stretch sports-wise as well. I didn't really understand the defensive strategy after Lee went out, but whatever--Dallas got their butts kicked.

Cowboys are going to get roasted this week in Texas.
  • Options
    I look at it this way.....we could have come into this game 6-0. We beat ourselves twice and then lost to a very good New England team with 22 seconds to go.

Tonite shows that if you play bad enough ANYBODY can beat you, which is what happened tonite!

I was actually worried more about last weeks game against the Rams than tonite.

We will see what the rest of the season brings. Whatever it is........I will still be a die hard COWBOYS fan!!image

At least Steve has something to be happy about......and that hasn't happened in a long time!

And really....who in the NFC is going to keep Green Bay from going to the Super Bowl this year.image