Home Precious Metals
Options

You Suck award potential here...

I went to the MS State show this weekend...an older dealer had sheets of 2x2's out that I normally wouldn't have even looked at if his wife hadn't initiated the conversation. I look through them and notice that he has dimes for $2.00...I ask him if he would take that price, since silver buy was near that price. He says yes. I look through another book and notice that quarters are $4.00 and less...I ask him jokingly if he would take that for them...he says yes, whatever they are marked. I ask if he is sure, he says yes, he only goes lower in price, not up. Bingo! Well, I get too looking some more...he has some as low as $2.75. I buy about $20 worth, including a few halves that were under $10. (I found a pocket piece 40%er too! Only a dollar!) I come back later...see if he still had any deals... He says he would do the same as before, $2.00 per dime and $2 per quarter! I bought entire pages worth...Grand total of $460 bucks later and I now had $40 face of 90 percent!

He seemed happy that I was buying that much from him...I honestly think he was so out of the loop on the bullion game that he probably wouldn't have believed me if I told him the quarters were worth at least five bucks.

Comments

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you ripped off an "older dealer". Congratulations.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    That was my grandpa and he has dementia!!imageimageimageimageimageimage

Just joking imageimageimageimage
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That was my grandpa and he has dementia!!imageimageimageimageimageimage

Just joking imageimageimageimage >>

I don't know how old he was but he may very well be someone's grandfather and may very well have early Alzheimer's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't get a You Suck if you ask for it!! But, you sure did good!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    We discussed different topics, he seemed to have his faculties about him. His wife was with him as well.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For shame, for shame.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>For shame, for shame......... >>

Ok, I give up, lets go down down this road again... image
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    Ok, I give up, lets go down down this road again...

Do you b*tch about this in every thread, this is the 3rd I have read? If you don't like it 1) Don't read it or the responses 2) Don't reply to it or the responses 3) Tell people not to post this stuff
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We discussed different topics, he seemed to have his faculties about him. His wife was with him as well. >>

You mean there are people here that really frown upon a buyer getting a good deal from someone set up at a show?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I honestly think he was so out of the loop on the bullion game that he probably wouldn't have believed me if I told him the quarters were worth at least five bucks.

Maybe??? letting him know that would've made you feel better about yourself rather than asking for a "you suck" award here? Maybe? image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    A dealer who does not know the value of silver coins is an idiot. Its not the buyers job to educate him. You were actually going beyond what you should do by asking him a second time to verify the prices.
  • Options
    This story reminds me of another members fortune. He got a 1 ounce gold coin for $10.00. I couldnt sleep at night knowing I did that to someone!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You kinda suck.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always liked that idea "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

Works on both sides of the counter.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I always liked that idea "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

Works on both sides of the counter. >>

bingo! :fingeronnose;
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, I give up, lets go down down this road again...

Do you b*tch about this in every thread, this is the 3rd I have read? If you don't like it 1) Don't read it or the responses 2) Don't reply to it or the responses 3) Tell people not to post this stuff >>

Help is needed here also
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet the guy still made a nice profit from the sale.

Jim
  • Options
    Help is needed here also

Kudos, at least you can admit you need help!
  • Options

<< <i>I always liked that idea "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

Works on both sides of the counter. >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>I always liked that idea "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." >>

I fully agree with following the above, however, the attacks on fellow member storys and their integrity over a few sentences of one experience is also uncalled for.

I never read one that any one was forced to take a deal yet. Either party can walk away if they feel the slightest wrong in each story I've read on the boards. Sometimes the best education is the school of hard knocks, the lessons seem to stick. I'm surley not espousing ripping anyone, but, again the storys I have read on these forums do not represent a flagrant and overt theft.

I have enjoyed the Big Score stories, and if someone feels they should reciprocate let it be their decision and not us to jump on them to right the worlds perceived wrongs.