Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2012 Sovereign, completly new design

has been announced which will be produced for one year only. It has been designed by sculptor Paul Day.

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I'm not totally sold on it, I'm still partial to the classic design.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the classic one, but this is pretty cool--the horse looks pi**ed off. I haven't bought UK bullion in awhile, I may have to get one of these.

Cathy

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather cartoonish. Almost Disneyesque, really.

That being said, I don't hate it. Put me down as lukewarm.

I find St. George's pose very strange and awkward looking.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The Dragon is too prominent , like its the star of the show. Nup..gonna pass for disneyesque reasons as previously mentioned.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    what have they done to ye, George ?!?! image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Georgina?
    Just does not look like a "he man".

Is George going PC? Is he even killing the dragon?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    George is humanely darting the dragon so that it can be released unharmed in a dragon habitat reserve. The dragon will be converted to eating vegetarian fare. School children will be educated at the reserve to better understand dragon conservation issues in the context of global warming's effects on dragon natural habitat.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He does kind of look like The Reluctant Dragon.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why fix something when it isn't broken?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    The horse looks fierce but George looks kind of old and tired. I don't think he is trying to kill the dragon but instead using his jousting lance to stop him from falling over.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I think George is just pointing to the dragon to let his horse know that he has inadvertently stepped on a dragon and to watch his ankles because it seems annoyed now.

Richard
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Interesting design. Like Lord M I don't hate it, but gotta agree that it's tough to improve on a classic!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    I am closer to ugh....
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    You're all too harsh IMHO.

Have you seen the diamond Jubilee 5 pounds that they've announced with two new portraits of Elizabeth II, one on each side?

That one will be competing the Churchill crown and the one with prince Charles for ugliness.

The 2012 sovereign is a one off design, just like the "shield" 2002 has been, they'll be back to Pistrucci next year.

Personally I like it as a one year off issue. The proportions are all right, the design tries to be modern successfully, and I'd easily give it a 7+ out of 10 overall.

The truth is, that of all the special editions and sovereigns that the British Royal mint has issued, only the 1989 set (half, sov, £2, £5) for the 500 years of the sovereign has become rare, very popular and increasingly expensive. I should have kept my example.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>George is humanely darting the dragon so that it can be released unharmed in a dragon habitat reserve. The dragon will be converted to eating vegetarian fare. School children will be educated at the reserve to better understand dragon conservation issues in the context of global warming's effects on dragon natural habitat. >>

imageimageimage

I still like the po'd looking horse. I also may be more forgiving as it is a one-off example. Pistrucci is the classic, but I do like the Wyon best of all. I'll see if I can scare up a picture of that one. If Trozau pops in he can show it off.

Cathy

edited to add:

<< <i>I think George is just pointing to the dragon to let his horse know that he has inadvertently stepped on a dragon and to watch his ankles because it seems annoyed now. >>

Also funny image, I missed that response the first time. Perhaps George should get off the horse and make sure the Dragon's paw is uninjured as well.

edited again...I just shamelessly copied this from Trozau's siggy:

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Here's the reverse and obverse of the 1845 Wyon St George gold medal:

imageimage
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her Majesty seems to be enjoying the cartoon.
  • Options
    That is the ultimate, best St. George Trozau--thanks for posting the whole thing!

(IMHO of course, but then I like the horse on the new one too imageimageimage)

Cathy