Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay "No returns" question.

2»

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I stand by my feedback, hard to get better than 3500 transactions 100% 0 neutural 0 negative 5.0 5.0 5.0 4.8 >>

That means "no returns" works fine. As long as your product is good with good pictures and descriptions, with "no return" policy you get 90% of the buyer and get rid of 10% of the trouble buyers that you do not want to deal with anyway. I think "no return" is a great policy on eBay.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That means "no returns" works fine. As long as your product is good with good pictures and descriptions, with "no return" policy you get 90% of the buyer and get rid of 10% of the trouble buyers that you do not want to deal with anyway. I think "no return" is a great policy on eBay. >>

Well said. You nit the nail on head image
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder how many of the people saying they will not bid if there is no return have read the terms of service at the other auction formats. Try finding a link for returns at Hertitage or TeleTrade I have never found them.
    image >>

Good Point of information.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That means "no returns" works fine. As long as your product is good with good pictures and descriptions, with "no return" policy you get 90% of the buyer and get rid of 10% of the trouble buyers that you do not want to deal with anyway. I think "no return" is a great policy on eBay. >>

Well said. You nit the nail on head image >>

I'm curious - have you ever, for any reason, accepted a return on one of your "no return" eBay auction?
    Are there any circumstances under which you may do so in the future?
    Just wondering.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm curious - have you ever, for any reason, accepted a return on one of your "no return" eBay auction?
    Just wondering.image >>

Yes, a few times, I just don't advertise the fact. I do what ever it takes to make my customers happy in both of my businesses.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just wondering.image >>

Believe or not I seldom get any return. Occasionally someone asked me to offer "return", I told him/her "no, sorry". I only got one return without eBay involvement so far and I put that coin back on eBay and sold it for double the price. The first buyer felt very bad about that return. I got another forced return by eBay and I sent that coin to NGC and sold it later on eBay for 3 times higher in price. Again the buyer who returned the coin felt very bad about the return and begged me to allow him to bid on my item again. After two months later I finally took him off my block list.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, a few times, I just don't advertise the fact. I do what ever it takes to make my customers happy in both of my businesses. >>

image a business model that has proven the test of time......image

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Simply, too many people think it is an approval service. Good photos, and strong feedback should be enough. If someone has buyer's remorse that really had nothing to do with the seller.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    face it, e-Bay is evil
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just wondering.image >>

Believe or not I seldom get any return. Occasionally someone asked me to offer "return", I told him/her "no, sorry". I only got one return without eBay involvement so far and I put that coin back on eBay and sold it for double the price. The first buyer felt very bad about that return. I got another forced return by eBay and I sent that coin to NGC and sold it later on eBay for 3 times higher in price. Again the buyer who returned the coin felt very bad about the return and begged me to allow him to bid on my item again. After two months later I finally took him off my block list. >>

I have to say, you seem to be a very fortunate seller. May your good luck continue image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just wondering.image >>

Believe or not I seldom get any return. Occasionally someone asked me to offer "return", I told him/her "no, sorry". I only got one return without eBay involvement so far and I put that coin back on eBay and sold it for double the price. The first buyer felt very bad about that return. I got another forced return by eBay and I sent that coin to NGC and sold it later on eBay for 3 times higher in price. Again the buyer who returned the coin felt very bad about the return and begged me to allow him to bid on my item again. After two months later I finally took him off my block list. >>

I have to say, you seem to be a very fortunate seller. May your good luck continue image >>

This is nothing to do with luck. It is the product. I have the product that market wants and with good description and pictures it will sell. I have lots of returned buyers.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just wondering.image >>

I have to say, you seem to be a very fortunate seller. May your good luck continue image >>

This is nothing to do with luck. It is the product. I have the product that market wants and with good description and pictures it will sell. I have lots of returned buyers. >>

Well, a little luck never hurt anyone. image
    What's your eBay handle so I may view these wondrous wares of your?
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of the replies. Does anyone know for sure exactly when eBay will change their return policy to 14 (or 30) days, or has it already happened? image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

I have never sold on Ebay.

Can you pick the "No Return" option in the "returns" section, but in the body of your description you say that you accept 10-day (or any # of days you choose) returns?

Is that allowed? Would cause more problems?

.....I have bought items that state "10 day return", but in the body of their description they stated would accept returns uo to 60 days.......

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Try finding a link for returns at Hertitage or TeleTrade I have never found them.
    image >>

I have returned a couple of items to Teletrade.

Returns to Heritage are possible but only under certain conditions.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I stand by my feedback, hard to get better than 3500 transactions 100% 0 neutural 0 negative 5.0 5.0 5.0 4.8 >>

Your feedback is only based on the last 12 months worth of feedback which looks to be 712.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I really appreciate this thread as I have been on both sides of the "no returns" as a buyer and a seller. I sell very little but typically sell with the "no returns" as the items are used or antiques, but I make sure the pictures and description are accurate. I was wondering for items such as pms, that I would like to sell when I have extras, why couldn't you offer a return but with a restocking fee or something that keeps buyers from returning due to pm fluctuations or remorse? Many retailers and auctions houses do.
  • Options

<< <i>

Your feedback is only based on the last 12 months worth of feedback which looks to be 712. >>

Really??

Thank you Captain OBVIOUS
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never sold on Ebay.

Can you pick the "No Return" option in the "returns" section, but in the body of your description you say that you accept 10-day (or any # of days you choose) returns?

Is that allowed? Would cause more problems?

.....I have bought items that state "10 day return", but in the body of their description they stated would accept returns uo to 60 days....... >>

That is exactly what I will be doing. I will always offer a reasonable return time. "10 day return" will be in the listing description. No returns in the return policy section though. 30 days is not reasonable but 10 days is fair and I will continue to do that.image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Try finding a link for returns at Hertitage or TeleTrade I have never found them.
    image >>

I have returned a couple of items to Teletrade.

Returns to Heritage are possible but only under certain conditions. >>

Any seller that put those kind of conditions on a eBay auction would never have any bids kind of proves my point.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think many don't realize that it is eBay that is going to eliminate the choice for 3 and 7 day return options. The choice of return options is going to become either No Returns or 30 day return policy.

Does anyone really feel that a 30 day return policy is necessary and/or acceptable for a seller of coins? I do not, so when I am forced to, my return policy will become No Returns because I am not going to choose a 30 day return policy. Of course if a buyer emails me shortly after receiving the coin and they want to return it, I will accept the return and refund their money.

Joe. >>

How many will run before and after they understand the full weight of this no return policy? The buyer gets his coin, the seller his money, ebay and paypal their fees, a nothing more to discuss policy? Pretty much how coins are graded.

Note to self; keep ebay purchases under $5.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    What the seller says and what the store says are two different things in Ebay's case. Sellers can say what ever they like but if I get a dud in the mail it's going back the next day no matter what. >>

So you would deliberately violate the terms of the sale?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    So nobody on ebay charges any kind of return fee for bullion? I'm not talking about items not as described, but if the price of silver/gold goes down after the sale and the buyer wants to return the coin, the seller has to eat it? That's not right, shouldn't be anyway.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This subject has been discussed ad nauseum both here and on other DBs. With ebay, people can state "no returns" in their auctions all they want, and they can spit, sputter, and foam at the mouth all they want about how regular auctions are all where-is, as-is, etc ... but Ebay isn't a traditional auction, and as long as the buyer uses Paypal funded by a credit card, for them Ebay is nothing more than an approval service. Ebay is supposedly now taking a harder look at SNAD claims, but even if the SNAD claim falls through, all the buyer needs to do is file a charge back through the credit card company. CC companies aren't in the business of settling ebay disputes, nor do they have any inclination whatsoever to do so... so they refund first, ask questions later.

If you currently sell on Ebay you do it knowing that you are exposed to frivolous returns and potential buyer fraud...and hope the odds are still in favor of your having an educated, honest buyer.
    Once that is no longer a probability we will cease doing all business there.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    What the seller says and what the store says are two different things in Ebay's case. Sellers can say what ever they like but if I get a dud in the mail it's going back the next day no matter what. >>

So you would deliberately violate the terms of the sale? >>

One could opine that the seller violated the terms of sale by sending a "dud" coin, if in a case of SNAD.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will also be going to a No Return policy once the new "rule" is in effect.

I don't recall exactly but I believe I got an email from eBay indicating that they were eliminating the 3 and 7 day return options for listings. eBay wants you to have a 30 day return policy which is much too long for coins and especially bullion IMO.

Joe. >>

I have discussed this with many people on eBay, and they are considering changing this for the kind of stuff we sell.

If they do not, I will sell very inexpensive coins and bulk lots only, so I do not have a problem offering a liberal return privilege.

Obviously, the problem is that you can sell a coin, and send it in to get a crossover within the time period. If you do not get the grade you want, you can return it.

Greg
  • Options

<< <i>This subject has been discussed ad nauseum both here and on other DBs. With ebay, people can state "no returns" in their auctions all they want, and they can spit, sputter, and foam at the mouth all they want about how regular auctions are all where-is, as-is, etc ... but Ebay isn't a traditional auction, and as long as the buyer uses Paypal funded by a credit card, for them Ebay is nothing more than an approval service. Ebay is supposedly now taking a harder look at SNAD claims, but even if the SNAD claim falls through, all the buyer needs to do is file a charge back through the credit card company. CC companies aren't in the business of settling ebay disputes, nor do they have any inclination whatsoever to do so... so they refund first, ask questions later.

If you currently sell on Ebay you do it knowing that you are exposed to frivolous returns and potential buyer fraud...and hope the odds are still in favor of your having an educated, honest buyer.
    Once that is no longer a probability we will cease doing all business there. >>

Thanks. I see what you are saying. I have been on ebay (mostly a buyer) since the 90's and it had few safeguards yet I always felt like people were honest on both ends of the sale (and sometimes you just had to accept it was not as great as it looked in the pics). But it has changed no doubt - the price of success (ebay)? I'll still probably sell a few things along, but it will be "no return" if it's a bullion item.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey ProfHaroldHill let me know your ebay id.... that way we know to block you.... seriously.... SNAD rule.... come on give me a break.... I ran thousands of auctions no reserve starting at 1 cent.... if the price was too low and they got a bargain they would keep the coin....no returns.... but if the price went a little higher and they couldnt resell it for a profit....it was looking for a way out... one of the many reason I stopped bothering selling on ebay..
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Your feedback is only based on the last 12 months worth of feedback which looks to be 712. >>

Really??

Thank you Captain OBVIOUS >>

Pipe down Captain CAPS
  • Options
    nice to see your still around image
  • Options

<< <i>nice to see your still around image >>

Why wouldn't I be? your words carry little weight image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect example of ebay buyers taking advantage.... in beg of Sept I sold a brand new ink cart for a printer that we no longer had for around $11 bucks.... 30 day guarantee that it would work.... tonight the buyer threatened that if I didnt return his money because he only got 50 copies (remember this was brand new never opened) he would report it ....WTF its Oct 24 about 45 days..... so I gave him back his $11 bucks...because its easier then getting negative feedbacks and fighting ebay. but again the system doesnt work
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

<< <i>so I gave him back his $11 bucks...because its easier then getting negative feedbacks and fighting ebay. but again the system doesnt work >>

Actually, it's working just the way eBay wants it to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file