Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help me spend my Fathers life insurance which

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got.
First a bit of background. Dad took it out in 1965. He died in 1990. I found out about this policy with NY Life
three weeks ago. Mom didn't collect when he died and she died in 1997. So, I spoke to NY Life and answered
all their questions to their satisfaction. Got the check a couple of days ago and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Here's the breakdown of the check:

Policy face amount: $2.00
Dividend Accumulations: 1.59
Dividend Interest: .01
Termination Dividend: .05
Post Mortem Dividend: .01

Miscellaneous Interest: 4.99

Total payable: $8.65

Yep, my inheritance in full! Good old Dad, probably laughing in his grave!! Hard to believe that NY Life would admit to owning this pittance!

What CC should or could I buy?

bobimage
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    lol
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a Eunice Shriver Commem!
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got.

bobimage >>

Get a nice 1989 Chuck e Cheese token
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Get a Eunice Shriver Commem! >>

I said CC (Carson City!)

PS: Could anyone really take a policy out for $2.00? Soooo weird.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I don't get it. What is the purpose of a $2.00 policy?

<< <i>

<< <i>I just got.

bobimage >>

image >>

Already have one of those, but may upgrade! Good idea. Better than Chinese Counterfeit!
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got 1 oz. avp . of Cu for Au & Ag !

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• You could have used it to bid on that 1870-CC$20 if it hadn't been heistedimage
    "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess I don't get it. What is the purpose of a $2.00 policy? >>

Peace of mind.

" Have you purchased life Insurance yet from that nice NY life man"

"Yep, sure have."

<< <i>You could have used it to bid on that 1870-CC$20 if it hadn't been heistedimage >>

Maybe if the CC's were superglued on I could get one of them when it falls off?

Oh, I have no idea why a $2 policy. I don't get it either.

And Cu might be the real chance for appreciation down the road?

lol

bobimage
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frame the check.
  • buy a few cc`s of Eliah Craig and drown those sorrows.image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

<< <i>Frame the check. >>

I may do just that. Put it above my desk and will always get a chuckle out of it.

Best idea yet!

bobimage
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

59¢ for a senior coffee image
  • It is a hidden message, buy a coin dated 1865, though if $8.65 is the budget, a modest Indian cent from that year is the only U. S. coin that fits.

<< <i>It is a hidden message, buy a coin dated 1865, though if $8.65 is the budget, a modest Indian cent from that year is the only U. S. coin that fits. >>

Had it been a $2 policy from 1865 it actually might have amounted to something!

bobimage
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Re-invest $8.00 back into a NY Life policy, take the left over 65¢ use 44¢ to mail in the forms, with the remaining 21¢ buy some Ramen noodles of your choice...let you heirs figure out why you took out this policy.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

• << <i>Re-invest $8.00 back into a NY Life policy, take the left over 65¢ use 44¢ to mail in the forms, with the remaining 21¢ buy some Ramen noodles of your choice...let you heirs figure out why you took out this policy. >>

This.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they mis-represented it to him (or you) as 2 units, with each unit being $1,000 or $5,000.

My dad recently passed and his 1959 policy was for $30K. Fortunately for my mom this was not all he left.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking units alsoimage I only say that because my fiance just went through three years of 'we know nothing about that policy' when we had the policy in hand. It makes me really wonder how many policies never get claimed because the issuer just ignores the whole thing. 'Sweep it under the rug and fix what keeps crawling out' seem to be the mentality we ran into. Can you tell I'm bitter???image

I like the 1865 idea, or buy a lotto ticket.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend employing the services of a good accountant ? More importantly, one who specializes in estate taxes image
  • If I had to take a guess I would bet he bought a policy from a door to door sales man that was probably $2 a month but didn't continue after his first payment.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invest your lordly inheritance at a local bank that pays .1% per annum, and wait until you get enough money to by an 1889 CC Morgan in a PC 5 holder. Be sure to make provisions for this in your will. This will only work if you live in a jurisdiction that does not have a law forbidding perpetuities.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

• << <i>

<< <i>I just got.

bobimage >>

image >>

Shhhh, don't start the stampede!!!
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I had to take a guess I would bet he bought a policy from a door to door sales man that was probably $2 a month but didn't continue after his first payment. >>

something that makes sense... hmmmm

$8.65 would get you a silver quarter, shipped, from your birthyear.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• PS: Could anyone really take a policy out for $2.00? Soooo weird.

I remember about 1969 or 70 Independant Life had debit salesmen that came around the work place
    every week and collected like 35 cent on a policy for like I think a thousand bucks. After a few years
    the guys stopped coming around and a bunch of us call Independant and asked what the heck. They
    told us the policy didn't need to be paid anymore and that the money we had paid over the years
    would cover it I think forever. Yea Right. Anyway the company ain't around anymore so I guess the
    answer is yup back then you could get some weird insurance policies. image
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, my inheritance in full! Good old Dad, probably laughing in his grave!! Hard to believe that NY Life would admit to owning this pittance!

I don't believe that. For many of the older generation, money was scarce. My grandmother left me around $32 and she was dirt poor most of her life. When her husband, my grandpa died at 49 years, she continued to run the chicken farm, that's all she had. For years, I refused to cash that check but the bank it was drawn on kept sending me letters asking if I had cashed the check. Eventually, I did cash it and put it towards a bond for my first grandson.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could probably get a 1876-CC dime in AG for $8.65
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Go for a really bad chinese counterfeit CC on ebay.
    BST Transactions;
    Seller- thebigeng; morgansforever; bolivarshagnasty
    Buyer-nibanny; derryb; zubie; smittys; konsole; tootawl; socalbigmark; fullcameo; coinkid855
  • I have a policy in my file cabinet that my father took out on me when I was born. The payments were 25¢ a month. The cash in value is $100 and on my death it will be worth either $500 or $250, I forget which. The policy was taken out in 1948 and you could bury a child for that amount back then.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • The next CC dime I get is heading your way, we cant all be big winners, but we all can be winners in some sort of sense.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PS: Could anyone really take a policy out for $2.00? Soooo weird.

I remember about 1969 or 70 Independant Life had debit salesmen that came around the work place
    every week and collected like 35 cent on a policy for like I think a thousand bucks. After a few years
    the guys stopped coming around and a bunch of us call Independant and asked what the heck. They
    told us the policy didn't need to be paid anymore and that the money we had paid over the years
    would cover it I think forever. Yea Right. Anyway the company ain't around anymore so I guess the
    answer is yup back then you could get some weird insurance policies. image >>

Your policy was transfered to AIG when they took over Independent Life and should still be in full force. Policies don't disappear into the ether when the companies go belly-up.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Go for a really bad chinese counterfeit CC on ebay. >>

Premium Quality comment, for sure image

image..an' the avatar ain't too bad either.
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I'm not in the insurance business but here goes:

Could it be a reinvested dividend that purchased a mini policy on top of a larger existing policy? When the larger policy was cashed out, someone missed this small one? It hink there is a term for such policy, but I can't remember what it is.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1965 $8 would have covered the cost of a coffin, hearse and burial...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Policy face amount: $2.00 >>

Too bad he didn't pull $2 worth of silver out of circulation back in 1965

"Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file