Home Metal Detecting
Options

Oct 15, 2011: Four more silvers, 13 wheats

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
Got to a new park today. Was there for about four hours, and covered about half of it. Nothing particularly old, but definitely enough to stay interesting.

Ended with 2 Wartime nickels (both have that bubbling problem. Do you think it has to do with the impurities in the metal coming out?)
2 Silver Roosies
13 Wheat cents (oldest is 1910)

One of the silver roosies started out as a wheat signal. Pulled out the first wheat, rechecked, then the roosie popped out, then got two more wheats, and finally a canadian cent (I threw it in the pile of wheats and I forget the date).

Also got a white metal charm with Dominic Savio on one side and St. John Bosco on the other. No idea who either was so I had to wikipedia it, haha. Not sure what kind of metal it is. It had a higher pitch like copper, but cleaned up a silver color. Any ideas on the metal? Feels heavier than aluminum... but who knows

And some kind of token from AMSCO, which looks to be some kind of supply company - the "HEADS" side says "SPONGES" and the "TAILS" side says "CHAMOIS"

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice haul... no idea about the medal.... looks silver... should have it checked. I am curious about the 'bubbling' on the war nickels. Have not seen that phenomena....looked closely at the ones I have and saw no sign of bubbling. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silver is always good when you find it image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul and nice rainbow toning on one of those dimes. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice haul and nice rainbow toning on one of those dimes. image >>

Thanks!

I posted its sister - a clad MONSTER TONED!!! dime on the U.S. coin forum and it didn't get as warm of a reception, haha.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... over on the coin forum, there are many self-styled 'experts' who believe they are the final word on anything numismatic. Most are just wanna be's.... have never done their homework and actually worked with coins to understand how they tarnish and what effects different environments produce. Ignore them. Cheers, RickO