Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This is why there are no PSA 10 1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan's...

BGS 9.5 Hulk Hogan

This is why there are no PSA 10's and most likely will never be. This Hogan is a PSA 9 OC at best or a straight PSA 8.

With this top to bottom centering this has no shot at a PSA 10.

The Yellow cards are super tough with centering and this is not even close to a Gem Mint Hulk Hogan. The reason in most cases PSA graded Wrestling All Stars sell for a great deal more is this. BGS has handed out Gem Mint labels to anything they can and this is by no means a Gem Mint Hogan.

Mark my words if a PSA 10 Hulk Hogan ever surfaces it is a $5,000 card.

Comments

• Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    That centering is terrible.

BTW, grew up a Von Erich fan in the Fort Worth area and would love a PSA 9 some day.

jbox
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Kerry Von Erich is a supper tough card. The orange cards have terrible corners and bad top to bottom centering.

Kerry's card is moving to the top four base cards as I have said.

This is a pop 2. I have 25 Kerry Von Erich's and trust me a mint condition copy is almost impossible.

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Centering is a "9." What a joke.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options

Here is a strong PSA 9.

This has razor sharp everything but is 60/40.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    That is why I never buy or use beckett. The whole sub grade system is wacked. A card with poor centering gets a Gem Mint grade? The strausburh super refractor was the first real clue for me why I will never go with beckett. Here is an example of a Gem Mint card I would steer clear of...

Link

Upon closer inspection the corners on that card don't even look mint to me. The card's 2 corners look NM-MT. You can see by using this link Zep provided us all with.

Stamp Viewer

Now copy paste this URL to the Stamp Viewer's URL box and click view.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/DEREK-JETER-1993-UPPER-DECK-GOLD-HOLOGRAM-BGS-9-5-ROOKIE-SP-/00/s/MTAxMFg2Mjk=/$(KGrHqIOKocE5t1uljUSBOiRkFiNhw~~60_12.JPG

Top left and bottom right corners look mint? Maybe its just the scan. Not worth the risk imo...

• Options

Here are three PSA 8's and trust me they are very strong.

">Hogan 1

">Hogan 2

">Hogan 3
  • Options
  • Options
    Here are the three strong 8's.

• Options
    I can't believe they gave that a 9.5
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    That is why you will never get top dollar for a BGS Gem Mint Wrestling All Stars. Every card in a PSA label will sell for a great deal more.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BGS has handed out Gem Mint labels to anything they can and this is by no means a Gem Mint Hogan. >>

While I agree that card is not gem mint, it's a stretch to say "BGS handed out gem mint labels to anything they can". I submit to both companies so I see plenty of examples. PSA is just as guilty as BGS is as far as putting oc cards in gem slabs. It's sad to say but it all depends on who's doing the grading and who's submitting the cards.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>BGS has handed out Gem Mint labels to anything they can and this is by no means a Gem Mint Hogan. >>

While I agree that card is not gem mint, it's a stretch to say "BGS handed out gem mint labels to anything they can". I submit to both companies so I see plenty of examples. PSA is just as guilty as BGS is as far as putting oc cards in gem slabs. It's sad to say but it all depends on who's doing the grading and who's submitting the cards. >>

I agree, it can be frustrating when you collect a certain issue and know the standards were missed on a graded card, but it happens both ways. ...a good example might be a certian Carl Lewis RC.
  • Options
    On the Wrestling All Stars anything that is close to Mint with BGS is Gem Mint.

I can't speak for other cards but trust me on the Wrestling All Stars and other Wrestling cards BGS hands the Gems out like candy.

I still will buy a BGS gem at a discount if it has the centering just in case but giving a Hogan like this a Gem Mint grade is crazy.

• Options
    What does a Carl Lewis Panini sticker have to do with this???

Vlad I know it kills you but let's face it a 1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan PSA 10 is one of the top 5 modern cards bar none. And at this point there is not one.

• Options
    Ah okay! Thanks for clarifying.

I took the "anything they can" remark as any card not realizing you only meant wrestling. My bad image
  • Options
    I think they fluff lots of grades but I am not an expert on many of the cards you grade so I really can't say.

There is a reason why there is no 1985 Topps Hogan's in PSA 10 and certainly no 1982 Wrestling All Stars in PSA 10.

• Options

<< <i>I think they fluff lots of grades but I am not an expert on many of the cards you grade so I really can't say >>

Both companies do...scratch that...ALL grading companies do to an extent. Like I already said, it depends on who's doing the grading and who's doing the submitting.
  • Options
    That may be the case but there is not a chance the card I posted will get the first PSA 10 trust me.

• Options

<< <i>That may be the case but there is not a chance the card I posted will get the first PSA 10 trust me. >>

I've been grading cards long enough to see that card sucks. You don't need to convince me lol.
  • Options
    Hey I am sure you are an expert. I read the other thread where is Lawnmowerman.

The bottom line is a PSA 10 Hulk Hogan would be a huge card and I was just pointing out this card is brutal for the grade.

• Options

<< <i>Hey I am sure you are an expert. I read the other thread where is Lawnmowerman.

The bottom line is a PSA 10 Hulk Hogan would be a huge card and I was just pointing out this card is brutal for the grade. >>

Hey, and I'm sure you're an expert punk judging by your comments.
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Dpeck, help me find a Von Erich card!!! I'd take a PSA 8 too!

jbox
  • Options
    Yes I am an expert Punk LOL
  • Options
    Jbox The Kerry Von Erich was very undervauled. It has moved up big time in price. Finding a raw NM-MT Von Erich is going to be tough. The 82B is the most rare of the three sets.

I am not selling any of my Kerry Von Erichs but I would suggest to keep checking EBAY and you might find one at some point.
  • Options

<< <i>What does a Carl Lewis Panini sticker have to do with this???

Vlad I know it kills you but let's face it a 1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan PSA 10 is one of the top 5 modern cards bar none. And at this point there is not one. >>

You subbed a nicer Carl Lewis and got a 9, while a less worthy copy pulled a 10 after you gave it away. My point is that this stuff happens all the time with both companies. And specifically PSA struggles with Panini stickers. I've had cards grade a 6 (due to perceived printing flaws), then resub them with multiple copies (which shows the printing flaws were on all the cards) and it got a 10.

Nothing that could ever be posted on a message board would 'kill me', not even people who continually push their own self serving agenda to promote their investments, although the Hogan card is obviously quickly gaining Wagner status.

Anyways, that's all I'm going to say about that, the Lewis comment wasn't meant to be argumentative, it was just saying both companies aren't perfect at issuing grades, welcome to a subjective hobby.
  • Options
    Wow- Dpeck just sent me this little PM...

Are you going to be at next years National? I am anxious to meet you in person. Let me know if you are going to be there I am considering going.

REALLY? lol
  • Options
    Yes I did.

• Options

<< <i>Yes I did. >>

Can we just measure each others penis' instead, it could even be a through spandex measurement?
  • Options
    Vlad you are the last man standing.

There is not one other person on this board who does not realize how serious I am about collecting cards.

• Options

<< <i>Yes I did. >>

Ohhhh scary dude threatening people through pm's....get a life man.
  • Options

<< <i>Vlad you are the last man standing.

There is not one other person on this board who does not realize how serious I am about collecting cards. >>

ok
  • Options
    That was not a threat.
  • Options

<< <i>That was not a threat. >>

No of course it wasn't. I'm sure it was just an invitation for you guys to get a beer and talk about Hulk Hogan cards.
  • Options

<< <i>That was not a threat. >>

no it was a double negative. image
  • Options
    LOL

I think Vlad and I should get to know each other in person and talk wrestling cards.
  • Options
    Vlad has so many opinions about the cards I like so I thought it would be fun to meet in person and talk about them.

• Options
    if you say it three times in a row it might come true, are you wearing your ruby slippers?
  • Options
    Vlad you can make fun of me and my cards all you want.

I am proud of my collection and I am going to keep working on it to make it even better.

Your insults get me really pi$$ed but it is not worth it.

From this point forward your words mean nothing and I will not respond to one of your posts again.

In life there is no chance you would run your mouth to my face and we both know that.

Cards are meant to be fun and I am only going to focus on that.
  • Options

<< <i>

In life there is no chance you would run your mouth to my face and we both know that. >>

Why not?
  • Options

<< <i>Vlad you can make fun of me and my cards all you want.

I am proud of my collection and I am going to keep working on it to make it even better.

From this point forward your words mean nothing and I will not respond to one of your posts again.

In life there is no chance you would run your mouth to my face and we both know that.

Cards are meant to be fun and I am only going to focus on that. >>

Are you done? Just because you frame it with 'I'm the bigger man rhetoric' doesn't mean you haven't become the internet tough guy you yourself have referenced in previous posts. You need to simmer down, do you think half the stuff I say is serious? No, I'm just having fun to your point. Do I think you start threads needlessly, yes. Do I think you pimp this set because you have a vested interest in promoting it, yes. Do I think you bring nothing to the boards, no. It's a message board, I don't think things need to always be so serious, so don't take things personally.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    That BGS card looks laser trimmed T/B, thats why I don't trust BGS on higher end modern cards.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Thanks for chiming it. For my knowledge what gives it the look of trimming?

It certainly would not surprise me is some trimmed cards slipped through.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That BGS card looks laser trimmed T/B, thats why I don't trust BGS on higher end modern cards. >>

Ahh, that ole' myth. Has anyone actually ever seen a sports card being "laser trimmed"?!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone actually ever seen a sports card being "laser trimmed"?! >>

1996 Topps Laser, it leaves burn marks! image

• Options
    Two PSA 9 OC Hulk Hogan's hit the pop reports today. I am sure they thought they had a shot at PSA 10's after seeing the BGS 9.5 examples.

I have yet to see a BGS 9.5 that would not get an OC qualifier or a lower overall grade if no qualifiers are requested.

If they hit EBAY I would think they still do fairly well as any PSA 9 OC cards from the sets have strong corners and look like mint cards.

• Options
    So if I don't collect this set and happen to find a mint but OC Hogan, I should send it to Beckett? Got it. Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Are you done? Just because you frame it with 'I'm the bigger man rhetoric' doesn't mean you haven't become the internet tough guy you yourself have referenced in previous posts. You need to simmer down, do you think half the stuff I say is serious? No, I'm just having fun to your point. Do I think you start threads needlessly, yes. Do I think you pimp this set because you have a vested interest in promoting it, yes. Do I think you bring nothing to the boards, no. It's a message board, I don't think things need to always be so serious, so don't take things personally. >>

Vlad, from my point of view you're the one who is making this all personal. Why are you attacking Dpeck? I think it's inappropriate and detracts from the positivity that these boards generally provide. >>

That was almost a year ago.
  • Options
    lol, forgot about that one, some good reading image

Kudos to DPeck's message board etiquette for bumping an old thread instead of creating a new one, made my day
  • Options
    Andre

Hogan

This seller decided to send his cards to BGS. In his prior listings he made the statement that the cards would come in higher using PSA and that BGS was tougher.

He decided to experiment and crack out a few and here are the results in PSA slabs with their prior BGS slabs next to them.