Home Sports Talk
Options

Official 2011-2012 NHL Season thread

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
I'm sure this will have all of 30 posts come April, but figured I'd give it a shot. Hopefully create a forum where fans of different teams can post their thoughts about their teams (and other teams) as the season goes along.

Bruins/Flyers kicked off the season with a game that got very boring very fast. Bruins came out flying but quickly lost their legs. Marchand and Giroux were the best players on the ice all night.

Philly seems real thin beyond their 1st line...I'm not sure Bryzgalov (sp?) was as good tonight as the announcers made him out to be, although the save on Marchand wouldn't have been made by any Philly goalie of the last 3 years.

Comments

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I think it was great seeing Jagr back out there. I am also right now watching the Penguins game and Malkin is going to have a MONSTER year. He is flying.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    To add a bit more...I just bought tickets to take my son to see the Detroit Redwings play the Blackhawks in Detroit in January. Should be a lot of fun. I haven't been the Detroit to see a game in about 15 years and my son (who is almost 7) has only ever been to one NHL game and it was in Toronto.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure this will have all of 30 posts come April,

maybe so, but come May, when all the hardcore Bruins fans show up, the number of posts will multiply exponentially.

EDIT: stat of the night. After one game Lucic, Douchand, Horton, Greg Campbell, Joe "The Wife Beater" Corvo, and Paille combined have as many hits as Mikael "The Slasher" Samuelsson with 1. That should curb any "Cup Hangover" concern with Bruin Nation as they look to be in mid-season form. Also, pretty sweet board Chara laid on Giroux....minus the boarding call of course. Plus Vancouver came up small when it mattered against the Pens so all in all, good faux-opening night of pucks.

• Options

<< <i> Also, pretty sweet board Chara laid on Giroux....minus the boarding call of course. . >>

Even the Versus announcers said that Giroux backed into Chara and Chara just leaned on his opponent. Giroux was fine, he
    was trying to get a call. The refs didn't buy it.

Penguins look great. Malkin is flying. They'd be a step above everyone else if they had Sid.

Giroux and Jagr are fun to watch.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    SO good to see hockey again. Going to the season opener for the Carolina Hurricanes (vs Tampa Bay Lightning) tonight. Can't wait!!! Let's not forget the guys that passed away in the tragic plane crash last month. We (Hurricanes) lost a member of the family in that one. Big Josef Vasicek who was on our 2006 Stanley Cup Champions and 2002 Stanley Cup Finalists was one of the victims. A lot of teams lost guys that meant a lot to their organizations. RIP Big Joe and all of the other victims of the crash. Let's have a great season in their memory.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GO THRASHERS!!!!!

What??? We don't have a team here in the Atl anymore????

GO WINNEPEG!!!! imageimage
  • Options
    lane - I'll ignore your typical anti-Bruins snarkiness and agree with the premise of your post...nobody, outside of Thornton, was hitting last night.

I have a feeling that might be a common theme for them early in this season as they forget to do some of the things that got them to the top last year.
  • Options

<< <i>lane - I'll ignore your typical anti-Bruins snarkiness and agree with the premise of your post...nobody, outside of Thornton, was hitting last night.

I have a feeling that might be a common theme for them early in this season as they forget to do some of the things that got them to the top last year. >>

I'll fix the latter portion for you for accuracy's sake - agree with the premise of your post...nobody, outside of Seidenberg, was hitting last night.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i was wondering when someone would start a hockey thread!

as usual the Sharks are a popular pick to go deep.

they have beefed up their blue line mainly with Burns from the Wild. it was obvious Boyle needed help. the team will need to see if Setoguchi and Heatley (although meager performances due to nagging injuries) loss will be felt. hopefully Havlat will be 100% soon and Handzuscan add to maybe their third line.

interesting was that Niittymaki physical injuries were a concern last year so they resigned Thomas Greiss early. i think he's good but looked bad in the Olympics. he will start Saturday against the 'Yotes with Niemi recovering from a cyst removal on his leg.

getting off to a better start than last year as they had to have the padal floored from January on will be a big help. the Sharks had two new goalies last year, who IMHO were lost the first few weeks getting used to a different style of defense in front of them.

anything can happen!image
  • Options
    you'll grow to like Handzus pretty quickly. He's big and often seems to wear those old Golden Seals white lead skates, but you'll love when he shuts down Getzlaf's hair and Kopitar in a few of those battles. At 6'4 220, Getzlaf's hair will no longer dominate the former smallish Sharks' checking line centers like Goc, Nichols, Mitchell etc. I'm not sure Clowe can repeat his numbers from last year, but who knows. Havlat is an outstanding passer, which should help that line....considering that Couture is more of a shoot first type C....at least from what I've seen of him. So Havlat (when healthy) will bring some playmaking ability to that 2nd line which will allow Marleau to remain with the Thornton & little Joe line.
  • Options
    Went to the Hurricanes-Lightning game last night. We made some severe defensive lapses late in the game and gave up 3 goals in the last seven minutes. A close 2-1 game ended up being a 5-1 blowout. But, it was still a great time being at the game and the cool air in the RBC Center and the fans rocking the place and the tailgating before the game. GREAT to have hockey back!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    good point, lane, seidenberg showed up too.

H2O - is tailgaiting common before hockey games in Carolina, or is it just an opening night thing?
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure this will have all of 30 posts come April,

maybe so, but come May, when all the hardcore Bruins fans show up, the number of posts will multiply exponentially.

EDIT: stat of the night. After one game Lucic, Douchand, Horton, Greg Campbell, Joe "The Wife Beater" Corvo, and Paille combined have as many hits as Mikael "The Slasher" Samuelsson with 1. That should curb any "Cup Hangover" concern with Bruin Nation as they look to be in mid-season form. Also, pretty sweet board Chara laid on Giroux....minus the boarding call of course. Plus Vancouver came up small when it mattered against the Pens so all in all, good faux-opening night of pucks. >>

I see you have lost your stupid nicknames over the Summer. Laner, I think if the Zamboni hits the board to hard in between the 2nd and 3rd period you would have a problem with it. You should watch figure skating, it will appeal to your brand of hockey.
  • Options
    Tailgating is very common. Pretty much all season long (winter here isn't that bad. Maybe the worst we get is 20-30 degrees.). Usually if you come out a couple of hours before the game there are at least 1000-2000 people grilling and playing street hockey in the parking lot. Opening night had 5000 out there early. Not sure how it is at other arenas, but in Raleigh, the Hurricanes are the only pro sports team.
  • Options

<< <i>good point, lane, seidenberg showed up too.

H2O - is tailgaiting common before hockey games in Carolina, or is it just an opening night thing? >>

not too, he was the only one. Seidenberg led in hits with 5. Thornton only had 2.....but in fairness, he's slow, can't skate, and completely sucks.
  • Options

<< <i>you'll grow to like Handzus pretty quickly. He's big and often seems to wear those old Golden Seals white lead skates, but you'll love when he shuts down Getzlaf's hair and Kopitar in a few of those battles. At 6'4 220, Getzlaf's hair will no longer dominate the former smallish Sharks' checking line centers like Goc, Nichols, Mitchell etc. I'm not sure Clowe can repeat his numbers from last year, but who knows. Havlat is an outstanding passer, which should help that line....considering that Couture is more of a shoot first type C....at least from what I've seen of him. So Havlat (when healthy) will bring some playmaking ability to that 2nd line which will allow Marleau to remain with the Thornton & little Joe line. >>

Thanks for the notes...Handzus did score a goal last night and looked good. the Sharks played well (6-3) except for short-handed. Doan is a good player (2 goals on PP) and has done well against the Sharks.
  • Options

<< <i>

H2O - is tailgaiting common before hockey games in Carolina, or is it just an opening night thing? >>

not too, he was the only one. Seidenberg led in hits with 5. Thornton only had 2.....but in fairness, he's slow, can't skate, and completely sucks. >>

Completely sucks? All that knowledge and hate you have towards the B's is clouding your judgement. Yes, he will not fill up the stat sheet, but he brings energy and toughness to a squad. He has two rings and he is on the playoff rosters for a reason. He is not your typical goon as he can hit and chip in with a goal.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

not too, he was the only one. Seidenberg led in hits with 5. Thornton only had 2.....but in fairness, he's slow, can't skate, and completely sucks. >>

Completely sucks? All that knowledge and hate you have towards the B's is clouding your judgement. Yes, he will not fill up the stat sheet, but he brings energy and toughness to a squad. He has two rings and he is on the playoff rosters for a reason. He is not your typical goon as he can hit and chip in with a goal. >>

either that or I'm well aware of his inability to do anything on the ice other than punch or sporadically run into people. I know this because A) he was a Hawk once upon a time until being waived...waived on account of his uselessness. This was in the early to mid 2000s when the Hawks were dreadful and in 3 years he only managed to dress in 31 games where he played no noticeable defense with that lofty -7 in 31 games. He was clipped in favor of Travis Moen, because Moen could contribute on the PK, and skate and provide more tangible toughness, like blocking shots. B) I also happen to know his advanced stats, and they're predictably awful. Awful as in a -7.7 Relative CORSI rating (2nd worst on that team last season only ahead of the almost as useless Paille). And keep in mind, when you're on the fourth line, you're largely playing against other 4th line players, so quality of competition isn't a factor, except for those teams whose front office has moved into this century and roster players who have some tangible skill on their 4th lines. I'm sure the 1970's thinking portion of the Bruin fanbase love his faux toughness, and by faux, I mean he doesn't contribute in toughness that actually matters, like camping out around the cage or blocking shots...he blocked 18 shots in 79 games played last year. One fewer than freaking M. Ryder.. He posted fewer blocked shots than Patrick Kane. Think about that, in 80 games he didn't accidentally get in front of more than 1 per 4 games played. That's tough to do even with energy line minutes...and partly because he sucks to the point where he isn't competent on the PK. I'm sure you guys were thrilled with the 10 goals he kicked in last year (the result of an unsustainable 6.6 SH%)...and probably forgot that he tallied that magical 1 goon goal the year prior in 74 games...so yes, he is the typical goon. He's not Ben Eager who has great hands and speed for dude his size to the point he was a first round pick....and if not for his high penalty taking stupidity, could skate on any line. Thornton is the useless one dimensional goon who "skates" energy line minutes, lands a few hits every now and then and punches dudes because he can't do anything else. That is, by hockey definition, a goon. Yes he does bring some energy, but people who can play hockey bring energy too....guys like T.Pyatt, or J.Smithson down in NASH, o4r Kirk Maltby back in the day, or Jamal Mayers or Adam Burish who can at least play competent defense (or in Burish's case, provide excellent transitional offense with his speed, and passing ability) and take shifts on the PK so my top 6 forwards aren't gassed by the 3rd period. Or guys like Clutterbuck who will draw 3x the number of penalties that he takes...therefore bringing an extra 3 PPs per 60 minutes over some useless goon like Thornton who averages barely 1 penalty drawn per 60. Especially in a low salary cap sport where I like my players to be able to do more than one thing. He has no business being on a playoff roster, and two rings, that's great, but he didn't have anything to do with either of them...not to mention, when you roster goons or agitators , moments like this tend to occur more frequently where your teammates take the brunt of one's knuckledraggerness. You roster goons, you receive goon mentality in return. It's not like having mouthbreathers helped "enforce" the ice for the B's. I'm guessing Bergeron and Savard would agree. Wonder how many Bruin fans realize that the smooth skating Steve Kampfer actually led the league in points per 60 mins at even strength among all d-men last year. Yet he can't crack that lineup because the straight outta 1975 GM/coach would rather run out uselessness like McQuaid and Boychuk. Amazing for a team that lacks puck movers from the back end.
  • Options
    Laner, it shows your lack of knowledge. You can throw out all your stats that favor your argument, but he was a part of the Bruins playoff run. He might not have been a huge part, but he had a role and played it very well. Were there games where he was not needed as much...yes. Then there were enough games were he added energy and toughness. He did not deserve to be on a playoff roster, but yet he has two rings. I guess the B's and Ducks were wrong and you were right. This is hockey were toughness goes along way. If he was such a defensive liability he would not have been on the playoff roster. You are the only hockey fan that I know that has a problem with hard play. Anyone that plays rough should be expelled from the league. You would be happy with 25 Denis Savard's on your squad. McQuaid and Boychuck played hard and were very good defensively for the B's Cup run. Kampfer got hurt and could not crack the lineup after that. You are an angry hockey fan. Did you get cut from your Pee Wee team or get pounded by a "Goon" when you played.
  • Options

<< <i>Laner, it shows your lack of knowledge. You can throw out all your stats that favor your argument, but he was a part of the Bruins playoff run. He might not have been a huge part, but he had a role and played it very well. Were there games where he was not needed as much...yes. Then there were enough games were he added energy and toughness. He did not deserve to be on a playoff roster, but yet he has two rings. I guess the B's and Ducks were wrong and you were right. This is hockey were toughness goes along way. If he was such a defensive liability he would not have been on the playoff roster. You are the only hockey fan that I know that has a problem with hard play. Anyone that plays rough should be expelled from the league. You would be happy with 25 Denis Savard's on your squad. McQuaid and Boychuck played hard and were very good defensively for the B's Cup run. Kampfer got hurt and could not crack the lineup after that. You are an angry hockey fan. Did you get cut from your Pee Wee team or get pounded by a "Goon" when you played. >>

You can throw out all your stats that favor your argument, but he was a part of the Bruins playoff run.

excellent analysis.

He did not deserve to be on a playoff roster, but yet he has two rings. I guess the B's and Ducks were wrong and you were right.

and Anaheim immediately broke him off right after the victory.....and it's not like he was a cap casualty making the minimum on a waiver claim. Oh btw, more importantly, he was a healthy scratch for half of the year and playoffs. He was platooned with Parros. Obviously ANA favored someone with an IQ above room temperature, and the greatest stache in the game. Feel free to look some of this stuff up. It would at least make you seem like you had a clue what you are talking about. That said, he did post an invaluable 0.4 share of one point for the season. How highly did ANA think of his play during the handful of games he dressed in the playoffs? 3:58 worth. Conn Smythe! So you were right, he was very instrumental in that cup run....not at all coat-tailing on Pronger/Niedermayer/Bouchemin/Getzlaf/Perry/Penner/Kunitz/A.McDonald/Selanne/Pahlsson/Marchant/Giguere/Bryzgalov etc. No it wasn't all that unbeatable depth, it was Thornton's 0 points, -3. But hey, can't quantify his "energy"....

This is hockey were toughness goes along way

indeed...if its the type of toughness that matters...like willingness to bang around the net, blocking shots, or posting 250-300 hits per year. Unfortunately for Thornton and his ilk, averaging 1.7 hits per night and 1 fight every 10 games or so is the hockey equivalent of a .208/.242/.317 hitting backup catcher. But I guess if it gives the meatball portion of the fanbase their only opportunity to get up from their seats, all's good.

If he was such a defensive liability he would not have been on the playoff roster.

if he weren't a defensive liability he'd skate shifts on the kill. And his career DGVT wouldn't be -6.8.

You would be happy with 25 Denis Savard's on your squad.

indeed I would. I'd win 30-4 every night. I'd willingly roll out 25 chain-smoking pedophilic mustachioed Frenchmen using your beloved mouthbreathing knuckledraggers like human pylons. I'd witness a perpetual 5 on 3 roughly every 30 seconds with the ensuing parade to the penalty box for hooking, holding, tripping, roughing, boarding, and general outclassed stupidity. But that's just me...and when I pony up for a season ticket plan, I prefer that my money is allotted towards someone who can at least out skate me.

• Options
    Annnnnnd when has hockey ever not been a physical sport? That includes fighting, banging in the corners or a in your face attitude? I am not talking about head shots, hitting from behind or illegal stickwork. I have no idea what brand of hockey you want or are looking for. All you do is surf sites that spit out stats and then formulate your opinion. You are an angry hockey fan.
  • Options
    H2O - that's pretty cool. I much prefer tailgaiting than spending $6-$7 a beer in a bar outside the arena. But, unfortunately, in Boston, tailgaiting is only reserved for football.
  • Options

<< <i>H2O - that's pretty cool. I much prefer tailgaiting than spending $6-$7 a beer in a bar outside the arena. But, unfortunately, in Boston, tailgaiting is only reserved for football. >>

Never seen anyone tailgate outside of a football game.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure this will have all of 30 posts come April, but figured I'd give it a shot. Hopefully create a forum where fans of different teams can post their thoughts about their teams (and other teams) as the season goes along.

Bruins/Flyers kicked off the season with a game that got very boring very fast. Bruins came out flying but quickly lost their legs. Marchand and Giroux were the best players on the ice all night.

Philly seems real thin beyond their 1st line...I'm not sure Bryzgalov (sp?) was as good tonight as the announcers made him out to be, although the save on Marchand wouldn't have been made by any Philly goalie of the last 3 years. >>

24th post i might add...

anyway since there will be no NBA thuis year i am turning to hockey!!! go canucks!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    just to keep the thread on page 1....

Bruins with a total lack of focus after cutting the lead to 1 last night. I like the emotion, but they have to keep it in check, even if Carolina was taking on the personality of their weasel coach, by backing down from any type of altercation.
  • Options
    I was actually fine with our 'weasel' approach. You guys had ALL the momentum when Horton threw the gloves down. Gleason normally will also drop the gloves in a heartbeat, but he knew the situation. Of course, all of Boston complained how we were too physical and dirty when we threw the punch first back in the 2009 playoffs (Scotty Walker was not exactly on everyone's Christmas card list after punching out Aaron Ward). I still like the Bruins and I think this game might be what you needed to kind of shake the doldrums out and get you back on another run.
  • Options
    just to keep the thread on page 1....

Bruins with a total lack of focus after cutting the lead to 1 last night. I like the emotion, but they have to keep it in check, even if Carolina was taking on the personality of their weasel coach, by backing down from any type of altercation

Must have been an orgasmic night for you and Big G watching the knuckledraggers thug it up for no relevant reason other than being outclassed on the ice...having to resort to goonery to show the world how "tough" they are. Kind of sad to see they're even dragging useful guys like Kelly and Seidenberg down to the lowest common denominator. Brian Burke also would like to encourage the B's to continue boarding skill players like Giroux and Skinner, so Seguin can become the next Marc Savard. Anyway, if the collective Canes "backed down from any type of altercation", what were the B's doing when John Scott politely offered to find out how tough Chara and Thornton were last week? I guess you'd have to say they "weaseled" out eh?. Incidentally, I'm proposing that Barret Jackman relinquish his crown as the NHL's leading faux-toughguy, and kindly hand it over to Chara since, you know, when he's not running dudes a foot shorter and 80 LBs lighter into turnbuckles, or refusing to drop his mittens with guys his own size, he's throwing punches with guys who are involved with other combatants....nice touch by Chara throwing them while Harrison was turned away and slumped over btw. You should also feel grateful that Gleason has an IQ above room temperature, and didn't assassinate Horton in that scrap. As Lucic and Greg Campbell found out previously, you don't want any part of an riled up Tim Gleason. Lucic has 4 inches and at least 25 LBs on Gleason and was still dropped by the rugged Michigander.
  • Options
    H2O - I give the Canes credit for focusing on the result of the game once it became 2-1. I wish the Bruins did the same. Clearly the Canes could sense the Bruins would gift them some power plays with goonish play, and it worked for them. I was talking more towards the middle parts of the game, when I thought there were chances to mix it up. Good win for the Canes, they've handled the B's well twice this year. I agree that last night might help snap the Bruins out of their funk.

lane - I missed all but the last 10 minutes of the game vs. Chicago, but given Scott's whopping 6 minutes of ice time and your anti-Bruins bias, I'll assume your statement about Chara/Thornton backing down from him is probably stretching the truth (at best).
  • Options

<< <i>H2O - I give the Canes credit for focusing on the result of the game once it became 2-1. I wish the Bruins did the same. Clearly the Canes could sense the Bruins would gift them some power plays with goonish play, and it worked for them. I was talking more towards the middle parts of the game, when I thought there were chances to mix it up. Good win for the Canes, they've handled the B's well twice this year. I agree that last night might help snap the Bruins out of their funk.

lane - I missed all but the last 10 minutes of the game vs. Chicago, but given Scott's whopping 6 minutes of ice time and your anti-Bruins bias, I'll assume your statement about Chara/Thornton backing down from him is probably stretching the truth (at best). >>

and Thornton "skated" 9 minutes, while being outhit by Scott 4:1. Regardless, what does ice time have to do with anything? They're both 4th liners largely facing the other's respective 4th line. But you're right, I made it up. It wasn't something that's been brewing since last March. Your NESN cameras must have been panning in on a shot of the booth for Edwards during one of his sanctimonious rants during the draws. Scott and Thornton were lined up aside from one another twice where Scott was clearly chirping at Thornton. Scott invited him to show and he declined. He also stepped into Chara for the second straight meeting in the 2nd period after Chara threw one of his patented no-call half crosschecks on Mayers....I'll assume after he saw Barbados Slim drop Campbell in their fight. If you really think they aren't aware that Scott has never lost a fight, and left a better fighter than either of them imo - Westgarth in that bloody mess, you're stretching your Boston-shillness to Cardinal fan levels.
  • Options
    Laner your act is so old and boring.
  • Options

<< <i>Laner your act is so old and boring. >>

that's crushing coming from the guy with 1800 posts containing various forms of - THE SPORTS TEAM FROM MY TOWN IS BETTER THAN THE SPORTS TEAM FROM YOUR TOWN!! Don't get bent at me because you rep a completely unlikeable franchise. Besides you're wasting valuable time adding this....whatever you call this...when you could be loitering around Yawkey/Lansdown with pitchforks and torches with the other guys rocking Lou Merloni knockoff jerseys.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Laner your act is so old and boring. >>

that's crushing coming from the guy with 1800 posts containing various forms of - THE SPORTS TEAM FROM MY TOWN IS BETTER THAN THE SPORTS TEAM FROM YOUR TOWN!! Don't get bent at me because you rep a completely unlikeable franchise. Besides you're wasting valuable time adding this....whatever you call this...when you could be loitering around Yawkey/Lansdown with pitchforks and torches with the other guys rocking Lou Merloni knockoff jerseys. >>

Laner, you are just a miserable hockey/sports fan. You complain about everything and your hockey references are strange. If you read most of my posts I don't just praise my local sports teams. When they need bashing they get it. Unlikeable franchise? I am sure they get there fair share of dislike, but not to the degree you say. It seems to me that outside of Canada most were pulling for the B's in the Cup. After the way they Canucks played the first 2-3 games, that all changed. I love it how you post all these videos about hard hits or fights. That is hockey my friend, it is a violent game played at a fast pace. There is no place in the game for repeat offenders that target head hits or late hits. But overall you are always going to get hits that are very close to infractions. Put a list together of some of the players the play the game Laner likes.
  • Options
    lane - I'm not sure why it took me so long to ask this question, but what makes the Bruins so "unlikable" to you?

I can see people hating the Red Sox (for all the reasons listed in other threads-too many to list here), the Celtics (for 18 titles, and now, KG), and the Patriots (for Belichick, "pretty boy" Brady, 3 titles, and Spygate), but the Bruins seems like a pretty innocuous franchise if I were looking at them from outside New England. For 40 years, the Bruins pretty much toiled in mediocrity, with the exception of the Bourque/Neely teams of 88-90, and the 09-11 teams - so it's not as if you "hate the winners" like people do with the Yankees, Duke b-ball, etc....

unless it's just an overall dislike for Boston sports, in which case, I would completely understand.

• Options
    yes G, you've continued to beat the "miserable" fan drum countless times....speaking of "tired" acts....but your issues largely stem from A) not being able to take the emotion out of your local sports hero posts B) not being around CU hockey threads long enough to get your head around my style of writing. C) your sarcasm detector might need a tuneup. Most of the references you probably won't understand anyway since you don't strike me as the kind of guy who reads Hockey Independent or a site like Down Goes Brown amongst others. That said, fans pulled for Boston because the Canucks are about the only team that is more widely unlikeable than the Bruins in the US and Canada...although you could probably put the Penguins #2 on that list due to the number of Crosby haters. Add Montreal and Philly and you have the North American top 5 most disliked franchises. So regarding last season, your boys were the lesser of two evils to most (definitely so in Canuck-hating Chicago), and yes they did receive some large pockets of support due to their style of play so the meatball sector of the casual and regular hockey fanbase was appeased. You know, the sector of fans who when they do attend a live game, they're the guys who stand up and shout SHHHHHOOOOOTTT IIITTTTT!!!! during the entire 2 minute power play, or the type of guys who watch hockey strictly for fighting as apparently they're unaware boxing or MMA exists. Of course Tim Thomas was a good story for the casual American fans. A guy who spent a good chunk of his career being shelved due to his technically unsound - unorthodox style, and bouncing around European leagues, and having a historically great year despite his professional debut occurring within the Mesozoic Age. As for why they're so unlikeable, I think I've explained that with painstaking detail over the last couple years here. It's a mixture of dislike for the current team and the general fanbase. I mean go look up any Bruin related fight or incident...hit, cheap-shot etc on youtube or hockeyfights.com, and (attempt to) read the comments section. It's pure English-killing (unintentional) hilarity. It's at times worse than any Yankee/Red Sox fan related thread anywhere on the net at any given time. And of course, the conversation always seems to center around fighting with Bruin fans....as if one were to solely read the posts here from you guys, or the aforementioned net posts/comments that usually involve some meathead calling someone else a slang term for femme anatomy, one could easily conclude that no one in New England watches hockey for any other reason than the hope to see a fight. And although I'm not against fighting in hockey, I am against contrived off the draw/behind the play - give the team some faux-spark - goon bouts. I don't need to see some 20 something guy with dementia, or any other quality of life issues as the result of meaningless fights as the result of their inability to do anything else. If I want to watch that, I'll buy a ticket to an AHL game. You get rid of that crap, and more emphasis is placed on the players who deserve the "toughness" moniker. The Iginlas, Callahans, Lapierrieres, Seabrooks, Orpiks, Seidenbergs etc. Guys who can actually play hockey, have skill or elite skill in a few instances, hit, block shots, battle in the corners, etc and generally do most things well. As for on the ice, sufficed to say, and as I joked at the CU fantasy hockey league draft a few weeks ago, each time Marchand skates a shift in the NHL, a kitten dies...so that's not cool as I happen to like kittens. So you couple all that with you guys showing up here and generally just beating the Bruins "toughness" drum while ignoring what I've pointed out to you several times - their lackluster stats in hits and blocked shots or Lucic's perpetual inability to calculate a path to the front of the net, or McQuaid's inability to remain bipedal (seriously, how many headers into the end boards does he have to take to show ol' shovel face he can't skate/play), or shelving my boy Steve Kampfer in place of uselessness, or as John Scott pointed out, the B's bullying mentality by targeting the "little guys" from opposing teams...esp Chara's keen ability to skate away from anyone that poses an even match-up in size....and other factors involving useful 'tough' related categories. Referring to other teams as "weasels" because they decided to actually play hockey instead of getting wrapped up in Bruin thuggoonery etc when Gleason saved Horton from himself and a year long absence with severe concussion symptoms is ridiculous as well. Seidenberg is the toughest guy on that team because he contributes in all factors of what one would deem hockey toughness including (if memory serves) leading the team in both hits and blocked shots last season as well as being the best board-battler/digger on that club. Pretty much the only thing I don't like about his game is the lack of speed and taking advantage of the lax playoff reffing by averaging 6.7 no call cross-checks per game. A skill Chara taught him no doubt. I'm guessing you guys would not agree on his toughness rating since he usually only drops the mittens a couple times a year. It's cool though, someone needs to trump up Don Cherry's wallet. No better fanbase to accomplish that than Bruin fans...or Philly fans...tough call...probably both.

edit: nope jdip, nothing against Boston the city or Boston sports in general aside from BC rolling my alma mater in the NCAA hockey finals a few years ago. I think I've contributed enough depth/saneness in Red Sox threads for you to realize that. Remember, I'm the guy who "defends J.D Drew"....<wink>
  • Options
    Laner, that was just a bunch crap from a long winded Bruins hater. The B's do play a different style, but obviously not a bad one because Lord Stanley is in Boston. You also continually take shots at Tim Thomas. He is a two time Vezina trophy winner and Conn Smythe holder. Maybe you have a bigger problem with the Boston area fans than the team. Is it because we win at most of the sports? Just trying to understand. Kampfer? Steve Kampfer.....honestly? Did you really say Maxim Lapierre as a tough player? I wish I could respond, but I got bored off all your rhetoric.
  • Options
    Lane - I find myself not being able to argue with much of your take on "toughness" and the mentality of a lot of fans in Boston. Bruins fans expect the team to live up to the "Big Bad Bruins" moniker, and for the most part they equate that with fighting and checking.

The national media has somehow tried to convince the hockey world that Chara is "tough guy/fighter-type" (the NBC crew especially), when nothing could be further from the truth. The biggest knock on him his first few years here was that he was not physical enough, given his size. Now this "new wave" of Boston hockey fans seem to think he is a bad-ass, when he is clearly not. I recall a magazine article written a few years ago about him, where he basically said that fighting is not his game, and not part of his mentaility. I don't fault him for that, but it goes a long way in explaining why you see him shy away from the bigger hombres in the league.
  • Options
    He needs to play more aggressive, like he is doing now. I don't want to see him fight, but every once in awhile is OK. He plays much better when he is in your face and using his body and stick to seperate the player from the puck. He was passive for awhile, maybe it was an injury. Seidenberg is built much more like Bourque when he can use his shoulders to hit someone and knock the puck loose. Chara even though he is tall/big, he has to be aggresive and take the body or they will skate around him even though he has tremendous reach.
  • Options
    I wish we still had Seidenburg. He and Gleason were a great pair for us. I still remember the great play that he made with Gleason at the end of game seven against the Devils in 2009 to start the "Shock at the Rock" with 2 goals in the last 1:35 in Jersey.
  • Options
    He played really well until he got hurt before the playoffs a few years ago. Last year I had the chance to watch him all season and the Cup run. He is a solid all around defenseman and was an absolute rock in the playoffs.
  • Options
    jdip, Chara fought quite often in Ottawa, but that was moreso the result of him being a very average to below average defenseman at that point. An underachiever given his size and talent. He had 10 fights in '01-'02 (including 3 against Peter Worrell who stands 6'6. So that was back when he at least went up against guys close to his size. Obviously those days are long past him. He fought 9 times in '03-04 and fought Chris Simon at least 4-5 times over that span of his Ottawa tenure. So although he's now too valuable to the team to drop his mittens more than once per year (as he has the last 3 years), it was his game for a good chunk of his career. Now that he's finally morphed into the d-man that he was supposed to be a decade ago, I don't blame him for not dropping the mittens more now as he's too valuable to the B's to be in the box, or risking a broken hand, or in the case if he actually would have Slovaked up and fought Scott, a concussion.

<< <i>Laner, that was just a bunch crap from a long winded Bruins hater. The B's do play a different style, but obviously not a bad one because Lord Stanley is in Boston. You also continually take shots at Tim Thomas. He is a two time Vezina trophy winner and Conn Smythe holder. Maybe you have a bigger problem with the Boston area fans than the team. Is it because we win at most of the sports? Just trying to understand. Kampfer? Steve Kampfer.....honestly? Did you really say Maxim Lapierre as a tough player? I wish I could respond, but I got bored off all your rhetoric. >>

seriously? I've never said anything negative regarding Tim Thomas. So either you have a serious reading comprehension problem, you just aren't very bright, or you are the Fandango of the CU New England sports honks. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to the latter.

Kampfer? Steve Kampfer

yes, Steve Kampfer, the smooth skating puck mover who led all NHL d-men in average points per game at even strength. Do you not understand the value of even strength points? I guess since he isn't a fighter or knuckledragger or unlike McQuaid, he can actually skate backwards, so he has no use to someone like yourself....or apparently to shovel face.

u really say Maxim Lapierre as a tough player?

never said that....so if you were trotting this out to make yourself look even more ridiculous, you've succeeded.

I wish I could respond, but I got bored off all your rhetoric. >>

if you never make one more CU hockey related post ever again, I'll go ahead and take it upon myself to speak for the room and state that everyone here is ok with that. I know I am.
  • Options
    Lane - I find myself not being able to argue with much of your take on "toughness" and the mentality of a lot of fans in Boston. Bruins fans expect the team to live up to the "Big Bad Bruins" moniker, and for the most part they equate that with fighting and checking.

I'm not sure what you mean by "checking". If you mean hitting and fighting then I agree. Checking is just various techniques of playing defense. Whether that means body-checking, shoulder-checking, hip-checking, back-checking, fore-checking, poke-checking, sweep-checking, stick-checking, lift-checking (lifting the opposition's stick with yours) or press-checking (placing your stick over an opponent's stick to control their movement). You don't have to be "tough" or physical to check. Sammy Pahlsson isn't very physical, but he's among the top checking forwards in the NHL...and has been for years. Better than even Datsyuk most years since he always plays a tougher quality of competition. Since the lockout, he's the top checking forward in the NHL over that span in terms of points allowed while on ice and quality of competition faced.
  • Options
    bumping to keep on page 1

Sharks seem to be back on track with Niemi in goal. Pavelski 2 goals (one empty net) and Joe Thronton with his 700th career assist last night at Nashville.

They've won three (one shootout) road games in a row, after a 1-3 start are 4-3

Wings on Friday in Detroit.
  • Options
    Of course Tim Thomas was a good story for the casual American fans. A guy who spent a good chunk of his career being shelved due to his technically unsound - unorthodox style, and bouncing around European leagues, and having a historically great year despite his professional debut occurring within the Mesozoic Age.

Laner, is your dig at the casual American fan or TT's career? Has his unorthodox style changed or is he just better at it now?
  • Options

yes, Steve Kampfer, the smooth skating puck mover who led all NHL d-men in average points per game at even strength. Do you not understand the value of even strength points? I guess since he isn't a fighter or knuckledragger or unlike McQuaid, he can actually skate backwards, so he has no use to someone like yourself....or apparently to shovel face.

38 games and only 10 ponts scored. He is a very good skater and has offensive skill, but right now he is not one of the top 6 defensman on the B's.

• Options

<< <i>Of course Tim Thomas was a good story for the casual American fans. A guy who spent a good chunk of his career being shelved due to his technically unsound - unorthodox style, and bouncing around European leagues, and having a historically great year despite his professional debut occurring within the Mesozoic Age.

Laner, is your dig at the casual American fan or TT's career? Has his unorthodox style changed or is he just better at it now? >>

there is no dig there whatsoever. There's a reason Thomas didn't land a full time roster position in the NHL until he was 32. Tough to coach a guy who doesn't play a technically sound style...and it hasn't changed much, he's just been smarter about positioning. Not floating around the crease as much, and he also plays further back in net than he used to.

38 games and only 10 ponts scored. He is a very good skater and has offensive skill, but right now he is not one of the top 6 defensman on the B's.

reread the part of points scored at even strength. Kampfer averaged 0.50 Goals per 60 minutes. Games played means nothing in hockey statistics. You look at what a guy has compiled per 60 minutes. #1 in the NHL among all defensemen. If you think he isn't a top 6 d-man on that team over a mouthbreather like McQuaid, then you'd probably be better served not wasting time watching the Bruins and instead hit up youtube to watch video clips of Gino Odjick or something.
  • Options
    Laner,
    Try the eyeball test and maybe you will learn something other than just regurgitating stats. You make it seem like he is the second coming of Paul Coffey. I think the B's see enough of both in practice and the games to determine who is better. Oh yeah, McQuaid plays to rough for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Laner,
    Try the eyeball test and maybe you will learn something other than just regurgitating stats. You make it seem like he is the second coming of Paul Coffey. I think the B's see enough of both in practice and the games to determine who is better. Oh yeah, McQuaid plays to rough for you. >>

yeah why would you want a guy who could help the B's PP unit which has barely averaged a half a PPG per game (ranked 26th and 27th the last few years under shovel face). BTW I've tried the eyeball test, and each time it comes up either as this or this or this. One thing is for certain, he's death to end boards. I tried to find footage of McQuaid contributing something useful but google crashed and flashed a giant laughing emoticon....then promptly crashed again.

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Chara fought quite often in Ottawa, but that was moreso the result of him being a very average to below average defenseman at that point.

<< <i>

that's funny stuff there.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Chara fought quite often in Ottawa, but that was moreso the result of him being a very average to below average defenseman at that point.

<< <i>

that's funny stuff there. >>

ah, I meant New York. My bad.
  • Options
    Just got back from watching the Hurricanes and Hawks. Best overall game I've seen from Carolina this year. Good in all facets. Tomorrow night we play at Philly. Going to be a tough test. Going to need Cam Ward to be HUGE in the net.