Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A piece of history from B. Max Mehl (numismatic pioneer)

A Piece of B. Max Mehl

I just bought a coin that was sold by B. Max Mehl sometime in the middle of the last century -- I am guessing the 1940's or 1950's. This coin came from an original group of Max Mehl Commemoratives that was recently sold into the market place with their original envelopes. I can see how this coin toned so intensely having been stored in a paper envelope for half a century.

A Little Background Info on B. Max Mehl (for those that arent familiar with him)

B. Max Mehl was a pioneer of modern coin collecting in the U.S. His magazine ads popularized coin collecting throughout the span of the 20th Century and prompted hundreds of thousands of Americans, kids and adults alike, to scour loose change and their local banks in search of valuable numismatic treasures.

Max began his business in a corner of his bedroom in 1895 at the age of 11! Grover Cleveland was President of the United States; and the horse and buggy, trolley, stagecoach were still the primary modes of transportation, yet Max Mehl was to build a numismatic empire which would reach from coast to coast in just a few years.

In 1903, when he turned 19, he applied for and recieved membership in the American Numismatic Association; and he placed his first national advertisements in The Numismatist in December of that year.

In 1904 he published the first of a series of coin price booklets, which he distributed widely by mail order for 50 cents a copy through his magazine ads. The first series of booklets was known as "Catalogue of Fine Selections of Choice United States, Gold, Silver and Copper Coins". The second series was called "Star Rare Coin Book", and later shortened to the "Star Coin Book".

It has been reported by several sources that in the early 1900's more than half of the incoming mail to Fort Worth went to Mehl. The draw from his ads was exceptional, as no other dealer was so resourceful at the time.

By 1916 he had a new building erected in downtown Fort Worth, and named it the "Max Mehl Building." It still stands today. (There is a small picture of his building on the coin booklet posted above.)

By 1924, Mehl's annual advertising budget grew to $50,000 — an unheard of amount even for major retailers of the time. His book included prices he offered for various rare coins.

About 10 years later, during the Great Depression, Mehl ran thousands of nationwide ads -- advertising $50 to anyone that could find and send to him a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel (even though they were never released into circulation and finding one was for all intents and purposes impossible). This sparked a national treasure hunt for the nickel that was worth $50, a huge sum of money during the Depression. Cable cars and tramways in big cities would often run behind schedule during this era because the conductor was too busy checking all the nickels they collected in fares. Of course Mehl never got one from the ads, but many years later he did buy one of the five known examples for a bit over $10,000.

In 1941, Mehl sold the collection of fabled collector William Dunham for $83,364 — a staggering amount for the time. It included several rarities of U.S. coinage including the 1804 silver dollar, 1822 $5 gold piece, and the 1802 half dime. These three key coins alone would bring well over $3.5 million today.

In his later years, Mehl moved to Southern California and operated his business from Beverly Hills.

His fame in the field is largely due to his spreading the gospel of numismatics, especially to kids and the common man, as most of the dealers of his day were geared towards wealthy clients who were patrons of the arts. Mehl is considered by most to be the primary reason coin collecting became so popular in the U.S. from the 1930's through the 1960's and provided the fertile ground and wide base of collectors that has allowed this great hobby to flourish today.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great color hiding on that Texas.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blu62, I can't wait to see this coin in hand -- I should get it sometime next week. Some of the toning (esp on the obverse) looks dark, but I saw enough to peak my interest.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! I actually passed on this coin becaues I was told it had some very dark toning in hand. But I hope it turns out to be nice in hand!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Coin and good Bio, Thanx

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a great read~ thanks for posting! Oh, nice coin too.
  • Options
    Wow, I collect MS-64 Texas Commems, if you ever decide to sell, PM me, otherwise enjoy!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, I collect MS-64 Texas Commems, if you ever decide to sell, PM me, otherwise enjoy! >>

GoldenEyeNumismatics had 2 ex Mehl Texas's listed on Ebay.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That was a great read~ thanks for posting! Oh, nice coin too. >>

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not interested in Comms, but I like that coin.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice example !!!
    Interesting history of Mr. Mehl.
    Thanks.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    That looks like it is going to be a pretty coin. Love to see your pics of it when you get it in hand.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool! -Dan
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2020 5:49PM
    Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

AnkurJ, I am glad you passed! Although who knows if I will like this in hand. Yes parts of the coin definitely look dark, the question is, how dark. One never knows until you see it live. Still it's a cool piece, and the price was reasonable.

Erickso1, yes I will post new photos when I get it in hand. Although this looks like a tough one to photograph! Will give it my best shot.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

To bad Mark Feld (coinguy1) is no longer a member here. He was B. Max Mehl's nephew and may have had more to add to this thread.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I am not really sure Mehl moved to California. It is my understanding that after his death someone bought the rights to use his name in the coin business and they were located in California. Perhaps somebody else here can help solve this mystery.

NJCC
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not really sure Mehl moved to California. It is my understanding that after his death someone bought the rights to use his name in the coin business and they were located in California. Perhaps somebody else here can help solve this mystery.

NJCC >>

I think that Bill is correct. There were two brothers, I believe that purchased the name and ran the business for a while from BH. Mark might know better. Mike Kliman from CA would also know, as well.

I just remembered the name of the brothers. It was Justice (sp).
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Coin really looks nice with some great toning!
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To bad Mark Feld (coinguy1) is no longer a member here. He was B. Max Mehl's nephew and may have had more to add to this thread. >>

Shamika beat me to it. Mark is UTS "up the street" image with me if anyone is looking for him. He has his own dedicated board on my Forum which we just launched a month ago. I told him about this thread. His grandmother was a niece of Mr. Mehl. He has a 1909-S St. Gaudens $20 that B. Max Mehl gave to his grandmother as a wedding gift along with a handwritten note from Mr. Mehl to her. (1909 was her birth year) Mark sent me the links so I could share the pics here. Enjoy!

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, double post
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its way nice to see some good history like that floating around. nice, i like image
  • Options
    Great information in the additional posts. And thanks for correcting anything that I posted that was incorrect. It's cool that Feld is the nephew of Mehl, I have seen his site -- nice to see that bloodline still in coins. I think these little historical vignettes are one of the things that makes coin collecting so interesting.

Hey, question for some of the experts on here. If I get the coin and some of the toning is black, would having the coin "conserved" help stabilize it. Or would that ruin it. I have heard that some of the TPG's offer conservation services -- NCS for one -- not sure if PCGS offers a similar conservation service -- or if they would even slab (or cross) this coin if it had black toning.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, question for some of the experts on here. If I get the coin and some of the toning is black, would having the coin "conserved" help stabilize it. Or would that ruin it. I have heard that some of the TPG's offer conservation services -- NCS for one -- not sure if PCGS offers a similar conservation service -- or if they would even slab (or cross) this coin if it had black toning. >>

There's no black toning on that coin.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>
    Hey, question for some of the experts on here. If I get the coin and some of the toning is black, would having the coin "conserved" help stabilize it. Or would that ruin it. I have heard that some of the TPG's offer conservation services -- NCS for one -- not sure if PCGS offers a similar conservation service -- or if they would even slab (or cross) this coin if it had black toning. >>

I don't see anything on that coin that should be conserved, but if you see something that you don't like, after inspecting it yourself, show it to a more experienced numismatist.

Coins on the web don't look quite the same in person.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    ttt, for the name of the brothers that purchased the B. Max Mehl name. It was Justice.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>Great information in the additional posts. And thanks for correcting anything that I posted that was incorrect. It's cool that Feld is the nephew of Mehl, I have seen his site -- nice to see that bloodline still in coins. I think these little historical vignettes are one of the things that makes coin collecting so interesting.

Hey, question for some of the experts on here. If I get the coin and some of the toning is black, would having the coin "conserved" help stabilize it. Or would that ruin it. I have heard that some of the TPG's offer conservation services -- NCS for one -- not sure if PCGS offers a similar conservation service -- or if they would even slab (or cross) this coin if it had black toning. >>

You would not be able to have a coin like that conserved without destroying the good aspects. As far as PCGS not grading coins with black toning...I had a beautiful end roll morgan that had a all black reverse with a yellow square in the center...NGC BB'd it for environmental damage. I sold the coin and it was submitted to PCGS and received an MS64 grade image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To bad Mark Feld (coinguy1) is no longer a member here. He was B. Max Mehl's nephew and may have had more to add to this thread. >>

image Yep, he could add to this post as he is related to Max. The coin your showing looks very nice and I'm sure in hand it will be appreciated by all. Congratulations on such a nice and colorful pick up....Joe
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    This is my B. Max Mehl coin. I purchased this some time ago from Tom P., a forum member. Thanks Tom!

( Eliasberg ) Turkey 1908, Year 33, 25 Piastres, Fr 43, KM-729, NGC-AU-55, 1.79 grams, 14.90mm. Previously: Louis Eliasberg Collection, ANR Auctions, April15-19, 2005 Lot 2337, Comes with NGC Photo-Certificate. Previously from B. Max Mehl’s sale of the Thomas W. Voetter collection, January 1943, Lot 449

When Stack's sold Louis Eliasberg's ephemera collection, I was able to obtain Eliasberg's copy of the Thomas Voetter auction catalog.
  • Options
    Nice coin image

It's not really black, but it does have some areas where the toning is very dark. If it's too much for you, the return option is always available.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    B. Max Mehl died in Fort Worth in 1957, the trademark "B. Max Mehl" was bought by George Justus of Beverly Hills, who ran ads in the Numismatist until about 1966 or so and seemed to specialized in modern BU rolls.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 12:26AM

If only he covered So-Called Dollars!

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for bringing back this thread with so much interesting historical information. Now that Mark Feld is in fact participating again on this forum, maybe we can be treated to some of his insider perspectives as to his relative.

FWIW the reviving of this thread is timely given Max Mehl's observations as to what may well be the first struck 1794 silver dollar and first struck $20 1850 Double Eagle as discussed in this excerpt from a current thread:

"Referenicing the auction description attached to Cardinal's above post, It is interesting that it mentions Max Mehl described the Amon Carter silver dollar in 1947 as apparently being somewhat, although not wholly, prooflike in appearance.

I personally find it of more than passing interest (given that I presently own the specimen) that Mehl in his auction listing of what likewise may have been the first struck 1850 $20 Double Eagle addressed its prooflike surfaces as well. In his view it was without question prooflike. In 1949, two years later, Max Mehl spoke of the subject $20 Double Eagle stating, "I classify it as a brilliant semi-proof, almost equal to a brilliant proof."

Despite the two coins having been minted 56 years apart from each other, they may well share the distinction of being the first minted apart from the "Copper Proof" for the Dollar and the 1849 "Gold Proof(s)" for the 1850 $20 Double Eagle."

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1039069/170th-anniversary-of-u-s-s-1st-20-circulated-gold-and-birth-of-the-gold-rush-town-of-eureka-ca

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would have nice to have the original images still attached to this thread.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for reviving this thread... Not sure how I missed it.... Oh yeah, I was consulting in Illinois during that period...Good information... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the OP resurrected this thread to say he finally received that commem..... ;)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I misses this the first time around, too. Good read. Thanks

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld is related to B. Max Mehl. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Mark Feld is related to B. Max Mehl. B)

I wonder if he'd like to weigh in?
    @MFeld

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice thread revival

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Feld,
    Can you clarify some details concerning his passing and what happened to his company? Did he relocate to Beverly Hills? Who bought his company (and was just the name sold, or the remaining inventory too)?

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

For many years, I have had the coin in an NGC holder, with a label which includes my grandmother's name. Needless to say, I will always treasure it and the handwritten wedding congratulations note which accompanies it.

This reply is useless without........ :D

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post by @WingedLiberty1957

I'm glad this thread was resurrected.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Mr. Feld,
    Can you clarify some details concerning his passing and what happened to his company? Did he relocate to Beverly Hills? Who bought his company (and was just the name sold, or the remaining inventory too)?

I'm sorry, but I do not have that information.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Mr. Feld,

Mehl died on September 28, 1957. Mary Ellen Ferguson carried on the Mehl business until her death in 1961. She had served as Mehl’s executive secretary for more than 40 years.

The company relocated to Costa Mesa, California, under the direction of Kenneth Nichols. He was a PNG dealer active with K & G Numismatics in the 1960s. The Mehl company continued to run monthly ads in The Numismatist until July of 1966. Such ads ran in the ANA journal for 703 issues over more than 58 years. The company then faded from active business but Mehl is remembered as one for the great dealers and promoters for the hobby.

https://coinweek.com/education/b-max-mehl-a-texas-master-of-coins/

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Sadly, I never got to know B. Max Mehl, as I was born in 1954 and he passed away in 1957.

He was my grandmother's uncle and my grandmother was thrilled when she learned that I was a serious coin collector at a young age. Over the years, I have acquired a number of Mehl catalogs, checks and a poster from family members, as well as forum members.

My most treasured remembrance of him and my grandmother is one I have posted about previously, but will mention it again now. This time, however, I will add a bit more information....My grandmother was born in 1909 and for her wedding gift, her uncle/B. Max Mehl gave her a gem 1909-S Saint, along with a handwritten note of congratulations. When I was young, my grandmother promised me that she would give me the coin one day. Fast forward several years to a time when her son/my uncle told me he had the coin and would be giving it to me. He also told me that my grandmother (who had apparently forgotten her promise to me) was about to have the coin made into a necklace, but he convinced her not to do so and to keep the coin for me. Whew!

For many years, I have had the coin in an NGC holder, with a label which includes my grandmother's name. Needless to say, I will always treasure it and the handwritten wedding congratulations note which accompanies it.

I'd love to see a picture of the Saint! :)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow what a cool memory.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 Thanks for posting the TV. Honestly, I would not have purchased the coin based on the photo in the OP. Too many underlit areas to get a good read on the toning. (I realize that sometimes one can score buying coins with bad photos.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file