Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Ethics Questions

What would you do:

You sell a coin to a dealer which is a walking liberty half and its in a PCGS Genuine holder due to cleaning. The next show you see it cracked out raw and it has been dipped to remove toning in a 2x2 holder marked "Gem Brilliant"

You overhear him selling them coin to a newbie collector as "100% original in straight from the mint condition"

Do you say anything?

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say something and interfere in another's business affairs ? Not likely in this family. That's trespassing where I come from.
  • Options
    If i'd sold a slabbed toned coin to a dealer and saw a raw "BU" being sold i'd have to ask myself how sure i was it's the same coin.Something as commen as a US WL 50c i couldn't be sure of myself so i'd leave it at that.
  • Options

<< <i>If i'd sold a slabbed toned coin to a dealer and saw a raw "BU" being sold i'd have to ask myself how sure i was it's the same coin.Something as commen as a US WL 50c i couldn't be sure of myself so i'd leave it at that. >>

Let me add one more thing to make it clear it was the same coin the dealer admited to it being the coin I sold to him. When i asked about the toning he said it needed a bath. No question its the same coin.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not say anything to break up the possible transaction. It is considered to be poor form and could get you ejected and banned from the show. I would pull the collector aside and tell him the real story behind the coin and tell as many people as I can the story (including on public forums) and recommend to others to avoid the dealer. In that way, you can have a greater effect on hurting the dealer's business and his shady business practices.

You might say why not get into a public tussle with the dealer AND tell everyone. In that case, it becomes a he said-she said situation, and no one knows who the jerk really is.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would not say anything to break up the possible transaction. It is considered to be poor form and could get you ejected and banned from the show. I would pull the collector aside and tell him the real story behind the coin and tell as many people as I can the story (including on public forums) and recommend to others to avoid the dealer. In that way, you can have a greater effect on hurting the dealer's business and his shady business practices.

You might say why not get into a public tussle with the dealer AND tell everyone. In that case, it becomes a he said-she said situation, and no one knows who the jerk really is. >>

Great response and I totally agree.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>What would you do:

You sell a coin to a dealer which is a walking liberty half and its in a PCGS Genuine holder due to cleaning. The next show you see it cracked out raw and it has been dipped to remove toning in a 2x2 holder marked "Gem Brilliant"

You overhear him selling them coin to a newbie collector as "100% original in straight from the mint condition"

Do you say anything? >>

Do you think it was cleaned? I have had multiple opinions on the same coin from PCGS and NGC.
  • Options
    What RYK said.

-Keith
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok...in the interest of playing devil's advocate... knowing that I haven't seen the coin in question...

What if the guy simply disagreed with the "cleaned" designation and thought they got it wrong?
    Thus he broke it out and dipped it, revealing a nice coin....nice enough that he dug into his repertoire of puffery when describing it.
    I've seen toned coins that looked ugly as a toad that were eye-poppers after a quick bath. I'm just saying.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>Ok...in the interest of playing devil's advocate... knowing that I haven't seen the coin in question...

What if the guy simply disagreed with the "cleaned" designation and thought they got it wrong?
    Thus he broke it out and dipped it, revealing a nice coin....nice enough that he dug into his repertoire of puffery when describing it.
    I've seen toned coins that looked ugly as a toad that were eye-poppers after a quick bath. I'm just saying. >>

I would agree with you up until: You overhear him selling them coin to a newbie collector as "100% original in straight from the mint condition"

Better to say nothing and let the buyer decide than to lie. Better yet is to tell the truth, if asked. The best is to give full disclosure without being asked.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me add one more thing:

It's not my business.
  • Options
    You could just look at it this way. Now your far more knowledgeable about this dealer's tactics and practices. What else needs to be said or done ?
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    How are you really sure it's the same coin? What kind of realtionship do you have with the dealer? Is it worth risking that relationship over a TPG opinion?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>Better to say nothing and let the buyer decide than to lie. Better yet is to tell the truth, if asked. The best is to give full disclosure without being asked. >>

I agree with that statement wholeheartedly... and let me be clear that I don't condone that "100%-original" comment... that crosses a line from puffery into misrepesentation imo.

This is much like a non-ebay version of the sellers who buy problem coins and then sell them as if problem free...(assuming this particular coin actually had a problem, that is).

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok...in the interest of playing devil's advocate... knowing that I haven't seen the coin in question...

I've seen toned coins that looked ugly as a toad that were eye-poppers after a quick bath. I'm just saying. >>

That's the beauty of the coin hobby/business; there is always a legitimate escape clause even for the scum/DBs. Outing the coin doctors is a wonderful thing as long as someone else does it.
    Many here have stated in the past about how one should be upfront about what they know of the past history of a coin, yet no-one seems to be calling out this dealer for not doing the same.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm safe - not likely to remember or recognize the coin.... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and, again....it's pretty easy to tell collectors from the dealers here.
    Ethical from the ones who skirt ethics.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I voted "no." I see people doing things that I consider "wrong" all the time. But I recognize my inability to change other people. All I can do is ignore and avoid them in the future.
  • Options

<< <i>What would you do:
    Do you say anything? >>

Even if I could be absolutely, positively, 110% sure it was the same coin, I wouldn't interfere with the sale.
    I would probably not do business with that dealer again, at least for raw coins.
    I would also tell members of my coin club and anybody who asked me, just what I thought of the dealer's ethics.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a difference of opinion to me...

1. TPG thought it was cleaned
    2. Dealer thought it was a gem BU after a bath
    3. Collector thought it was good enough to spend XXX on to acquire

The only opinion i didn't hear is your own. Did you think the coin was cleaned? Did the hairlines disappear or become less visible after the dip?
  • Options
    I think this is more of a "mind your own business" question than it is an "ethics" question.

Should you mind your own business since you no longer own the coin? Yes.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    A Genuine for cleaning is totally opinionated and IMO totally relative to the coin.

This one got a "Genuine" the first time throught the mill for "cleaning":

After showing it to several reputable dealers who felt that it had not been cleanied, I resubmitted it.

If the coin you sold had obvious scratches or altered surfaces then it might be something you might "mention" to the dealer. Cleaning is not one of those though since it's simply an opinion which may or may not be re-validated by a TPG.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the scenario in the first post I not only wouldn't say anything to the collector and I also wouldn't write anything about it on the boards or broadcast it to others. The reasons? To begin with, I might be wrong and the coin might not be the same piece. Additionally, the PCGS decision of cleaned is not always a final decision as we have seen here on the boards multiple times. Lastly, "straight from the mint condition" is how many folks describe dipped coins because they don't like toning. This isn't a black and white case or a slam dunk slimy dealer case.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have quite a few stories with regards to the "Cleaned" grade from PCGS. Some coins graded quite easily at either NGC or PCGS upon resubmitting it.
  • Options
    If you care so much go by the collector a book, leave the dealer alone as it is his coin and he can call it what ever he wants. I have heard dealers say some wild stuff but what can you do; at the last Baltimore show I heard a dealer telling a buyer that PCGS only puts "high Relief " on slabs for 1921 Peace dollars that are well struck like a FBL, FH or FB designation. He proceeded to get MS64 money for a so-so looking/struck MS63 which is a big jumping point in price. All I could think was at least the collector has a MS63 Peace dollar after that lesson which is more some can say.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real problem is you CAN NOT say its the same coin for certain!

It's not like paper money with serial #'s

I have a coin that was in a PCGS genuine holder now MS in PCGS holder.

what is wrong with sell it as a mint state coin.?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing you can say or do.
    You already sold it to someone else.
    What the dealers does with it, is his business.
    I'd be careful about doing business with that
    dealer !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options

<< <i>The real problem is you CAN NOT say its the same coin for certain!

It's not like paper money with serial #'s

I have a coin that was in a PCGS genuine holder now MS in PCGS holder.

what is wrong with sell it as a mint state coin.? >>

It was stated that it IS the same coin so that point is not debatable.

There is nothing to stop you from saying/selling the coin as mint state because that is what the holder says. Do you feel that you should volunteer to a prospective purchaser that it was previously in a gennie holder? What if they were right the first time and wrong the second.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would you do:

Do you say anything? >>

The only ethical is to be that [allegedly] the dealer is lying when he states that the coin "original" when he knows that it has been dipped (and thus no longer "original"). In other words, do you step in and alert one party when you are certain another party is lying to them? From an ethical perspective, it is irrelevant which party the dealer and which party is the collector.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>That's the beauty of the coin hobby/business; there is always a legitimate escape clause even for the scum/DBs. Outing the coin doctors is a wonderful thing as long as someone else does it.
    Many here have stated in the past about how one should be upfront about what they know of the past history of a coin, yet no-one seems to be calling out this dealer for not doing the same. >>

You evidently missed where I clearly stated that I didn't condone what the dealer said.

The crux of the argument here is not that he dipped the coin; it was his to do with what he pleased once he purchased it-(and I might stop here to add no one seems to want to acknowledge the possibility that perhaps he saw a nice coin beneath the toning that others didn't.)

What he did that was wrong was LIE to the potential buyer about the whole "100% original" thing.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would not say anything to break up the possible transaction. It is considered to be poor form and could get you ejected and banned from the show. I would pull the collector aside and tell him the real story behind the coin and tell as many people as I can the story (including on public forums) and recommend to others to avoid the dealer. In that way, you can have a greater effect on hurting the dealer's business and his shady business practices.

You might say why not get into a public tussle with the dealer AND tell everyone. In that case, it becomes a he said-she said situation, and no one knows who the jerk really is. >>

I pretty much agree with this, although you still run the risk of a law suit from the dealer if he decided to file one. The trouble is in our suit happy society just the threat of legal action can silence people. Just look at what happened during the case brought by that third world grading company a few years ago.

Don't think that I'm defending this, but the dealer might be 100% wrong. I've seen coins that got into body bags for what ever reason that were "fixed" or had nothing done to them get graded and made market acceptable later. One thing about this business and hobby, some things are not 100% when it comes to an educated opinion.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interfere with a dealer's transaction at most shows, and the security guard will toss you out on the sidewalk. The only thing you have learned is that you've found yourself an unethical dealer whose wares should be avoided.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's the beauty of the coin hobby/business; there is always a legitimate escape clause even for the scum/DBs. Outing the coin doctors is a wonderful thing as long as someone else does it.
    Many here have stated in the past about how one should be upfront about what they know of the past history of a coin, yet no-one seems to be calling out this dealer for not doing the same. >>

You evidently missed where I clearly stated that I didn't condone what the dealer said.

The crux of the argument here is not that he dipped the coin; it was his to do with what he pleased once he purchased it-(and I might stop here to add no one seems to want to acknowledge the possibility that perhaps he saw a nice coin beneath the toning that others didn't.)

What he did that was wrong was LIE to the potential buyer about the whole "100% original" thing. >>

Yes, there was one mention of it, but in general nobody seemed to be on his case about it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What he did that was wrong was LIE to the potential buyer about the whole "100% original" thing. >>

Yes, there was one mention of it, but in general nobody seemed to be on his case about it. >>

If you think about it... assuming the "cleaned" call was blown originally and the coin dipped out to a nice problem free grade... the buyer isn't getting hurt here as long as the price is appropriate for the quality. The lie still is a lie of course, and unethical from that standpoint- but as long as the buyer got value received then there is no real injury here IMO... (except conceivably to the dealer's reputation, as OP spits poison about him to everyone he knows.)
    That said, I can't help but ask the question... could there be an element of sour grapes here? OP could have dipped the coin himself and/or resubmitted it.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    No, it's none of my business.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Who cares if you are tossed out of the show, if its the right thing to do--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    if you were the buyer of the coin, would you want to know? I would.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Oh please! You are kidding right? They could sed in the raw coin again to PCGS and it could grade. Get real! image
  • Options

<< <i>Who cares if you are tossed out of the show, if its the right thing to do--------------BigE >>

Should I cause a fuss when I see someone buying a pack of cigarettes at the store? Smoking is far more deleterious than dipped Walkers. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file